Should I up my caloric intake?

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Should I up my caloric intake?

Postby imnotapunk » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:22 pm

Stats:
22 year old male
Height: 191 cm
Current bodyweight: 108 kg
Goal bodyweight: about 95 kg, not sure about this though. A healthy body fat percentage is more important.

I'm currently eating between 2200 and 2500 calories a day, probably averaging about 2350 which I think might be a little too low. I lift weights and I'm much more interested in being able to lift heavy things than I am in running long distances. I lift weights three times a week, and I'm still very much a beginner at it. I have no goals as far as physique goes, I just want to lift heavy and be healthy. How many calories should I eat a day?
imnotapunk

Re: Should I up my caloric intake?

Postby blinki » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:09 pm

Are you currently loosing weight at an acceptable rate? If you are you are good if not eat less or if you are loosing too fast eat more. If you don't know then track your average weight for a few weeks and decide from there. An acceptable rate is debatable but if you are trying to keep muscle then 1lb a week is a safe bet. You need to do a bit of figuring it out because everyone is different
blinki

Postby imnotapunk » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:30 pm

I'm not sure if I'm losing weight at an acceptable rate. The quicker the fat leaves, the better, obviously, but I don't want to risk losing muscle mass and/or strength. Because I'm still a beginner (only started lifting a couple of weeks ago), I can't really tell if I'm eating too much or too little, which is why I'm looking for an outside perspective.
imnotapunk

Postby blinki » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:44 pm

I don't think anyone can give you advice with any real degree of accuracy without the information on weight lose. So even if you don't feel ok with doing the working out yourself I think you need to know how much you are loosing and share that info
blinki

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating