Need advice on juicers

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Need advice on juicers

Postby Veggitator » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:26 am

Sorry I haven't been around for awhile. Got really sick, and stuck on antibiotics. Thing that made me mad was when I was looking for soup I found just about everyone out there contained broth made with who knows what besides chicken bones? Anyway point is it was hard to get a soup without an animal product in it.

Back to my topic, I don't see a place on the forum for juicing. Anyone into this? I have an omega 8006 for about a year now. It does great with greens but when it comes to fruit it clogs up. Gets to be a pain, also prep and juicing times on this are insane. Wanting to purchase one that will juice about anything, and would like it to not take so long. I was looking at the omega vert, seems like it may fit the bill. Can anyone help with this?
Veggitator

Re: Need advice on juicers

Postby Pottsy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:37 pm

Got a GreenStar ourselves. Was pretty dear though it does do a good job on fruits and veg and is apparently non-oxidizing so juice will still be good after a couple of hours- something to do with plastic grinders I think. It's got a few parts so maybe not the fastest to clean but not too bad. I heard Champion is another good juicer and seems well recommended by those into raw-food. Both of the above can also mash-up stuff if you're making pastes etc and are considered to be built to last. Not looked into the subject for a couple of years (since we bought ours) so can't comment on the Omega.
Good luck with it :)
Pottsy

Postby cafenervosa » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:21 pm

I love the Hurom slow juicer. It's not cheap ($400+) but well worth the price. It can juice anything and unlike the masitcating juicer it doesn't heat up the juice while juicing and kill off the vital enzymes. It also doesn't create a lot of pulp which means it's super effecitent and doesn't waste any of the fruits and veggies. It can juice fruits, grasses and veggies with not problems, creating a ton a really healthy clean juices. You can buy it for a bit of a discounted price from Amazon.
Runs with scissors...
cafenervosa

Postby XkillerX » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:07 pm

Jeesus fuck people.

Why would you pay so much money for something that is basically a tarted up meatgrinder?

I have experience with several juicers for several years. Here goes:

* the absolute and most imporant part about the juicer is HOW FAST CAN YOU CLEAN IT UP. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY IMPORTANT. If you cant clean it up in a flash, you will either leave it filthy and let it stink up your kitchen, or avoid using it so that you wouldnt have to clean it. Or both. The point of the juicer is to use it as often as possible. So make sure you can clean it IN LESS THAN A MINUTE, PERIOD!

* i cant stand masticating juicers. these are just bulky meatgrinders that have been through a design facelift. they are slow, they are loud, they are expensive, and certainly not easy to clean.

* it needs to have a strong motor. hint: if it makes the lightbulbs in the kitchen blink, it's good. 700w of constant, real power is a minimum.

As much as I hate to advertise for multicorp conglomerates, Philips makes the best damn juicers with their "Avance" series. I mean the models 1869 and 1871. They may not extract maximum juice, but they are very strong, they are built to last, *I* can literally clean it in less than a minute, they will extract juice out of anything, have two speed modes, and take up much less space than other equally powerful juicers. The price (150 euros for the 1869) is very expensive for a juicer in europe, but it is well worth it.

I had a Bosch i bought at a discount and fixed it twice myself. When it broke down for the third time i returned it under warranty and got a full refund....... and an explanation that it's not designed to be fixed AT ALL if it ever breaks down :shock: :roll:

If anybody has openhardware solutions for juicers , i'm all eyes and ears.
Activists are the engineers of the soul. That's why governments lock them up.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Postby thestoatyone » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:23 pm

[quote="XkillerX"]If anybody has openhardware solutions for juicers , i'm all eyes and ears.

Big fucking hammer?

Easy to clean anyways...
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

[quote="muchluv"]When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby Superflor » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:46 pm

Any more on this? I am looking and the Argos reviews of the Philips Avances suggest there is a problem with motor burn out on these models... Shame cos it doesn't look bulky and is supposedly easy to clean.
Superflor

Postby Superflor » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:52 pm

Superflor

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating