New Runner with Questions

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

New Runner with Questions

Postby jamesndawson » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:24 pm

I started my running program a couple days ago. It's a 2 mile loop, and I pretty much walk-run, maybe 35-65, 50-50. Of course it'll work it's way up to a full run, I've done this before in the past.

Of course I stretch before and after. Here's the routine I've decided on, because it's the quickest and easiest I could find:
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/s ... 23850.html

(I tried another stretching program recommended on this forum before, but as usual, partly because of my usual lack of discipline, I didn't keep up with it, and partly because it just seemed too long and hard. I calculated it to be about an hour & a half to do the full thing.)

Anyway, as expected, I've got some muscle soreness, mostly in the quads. This is mostly when walking down stairs.

My question is, should I wait for this soreness to heal before I run again, maybe 1 to 3 days, or would this just interrupt my progress and bring me back to square one, where I'd suffer from the soreness all over again?

I'm not trying to be a super runner or anything----just improve my fitness, bone density and run in a few relative short local fun runs.

With this as my goal, what would be a reasonable rest/run ratio in terms of days a week?
James
jamesndawson

Re: New Runner with Questions

Postby kallefs » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:45 pm

One hour and a half of stretching seems like a recipe for never ever doing it. I am lazy and probably spend about 5 minutes up to 10 after every run. Regarding the muscle soreness just get out and run, it will probably just make the soreness go away. About how much to run I would say 3 days a week is more than enough to get better, up to a point of course :)

Good luck with the running and maybe start a log here of your training? Good way to get advice and some cheering on.
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby Calum » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:05 pm

Current advice is also to *not* stretch before you run - it can diminish performance and also contribute to injury. Warm-up, then run, then stretch after. Useful advice here - http://www.runnersworld.com/stretching/ ... ch-my-runs
Calum

Postby jamesndawson » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:49 pm

Thanks Kalleffs. Maybe a log here would be a good idea, but I'm not sure if I could find much to say. Will consider it. I'm thinking of running monday, wednesday, friday & sunday, resting on tuesday, thursday & saturday. I ran yesterday, friday, and yes, the muscle pain's totally gone today.

Calum, that's encouraging to hear since for me, for some reason, possibly partly psychological, stretching seems so much harder than running, and I'm so much for likely to procrastinate on it. I think I am one of those people who're genetically stiff. But yeah, I'll definitely do my after-run stretching. I'm not sure what sort of warm-up I should do, or how much it'd matter for a beginner and "slow runner" like me. It seems my run itself wouldn't be much different than a warm-up (though I'm not clear what the latter involves.)
James
jamesndawson

Postby kallefs » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:22 pm

If it's not to much 4 days a week seems great, just be careful not to run to much. A log can come in handy if you wish to backtrack your training, see what you did last year or see what progress you are doing. It's enough to just log how long (time or distance) you ran and maybe how it felt.

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Warmup there are some things to do for warmup. I find that site useful but it's just one guys opinion about things. I might add that I never warmup unless I am really stiff in which case I might do a couple of airsquats.
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby Calum » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:32 am

In running training, my warm up is usually about 2.5 - 3 miles of easy pace running. Does the trick nicely :)
Calum

Return to Vegan Runners