Ha's the star of the base mile blast!

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Ha's the star of the base mile blast!

Postby bob_summers » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:56 am

For the three of you not on Strava :wink: , you might have missed that Ha, of this parish, is currently sitting top of thebase mile blast (45,000 participants!).

With less than a week to go til the end of the challenge, he's clocked over 4700km this month :shock:
Put into perspective, the holder of the cycling 'year record' (Tommy Godwin) had done about 1300km more by Jan 25th 1939, but then he had to learn how to walk again when he'd finished.

So "animo", Ha, and once January's done, keep going and see if you can snag the year record!
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Re: Ha's the star of the base mile blast!

Postby Alistar » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:00 pm

When I checked a few days ago he was doing 60hr weeks which is just crazy endurance, and a hell of a lot of suffering no matter how fit you are! :shock: Hope he's got good chamois cream!
To put that in perspective most elite local cyclists I know do around 15 to 20hrs/week. Pro's do around the 30hr mark.

Yeah go Ha! :D Hard to convey how incredibly hard it would be to get anywhere near the top of a challenge such as this.
Think I got over 4700km last yr by about September :oops:
Alistar

Postby bob_summers » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:32 pm

Yeah it's pretty brutal when you put it in terms of hours! Not flat rides either, and he's fairly smashing the hills on the leaderboards.
bob_summers

Postby Prime » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:43 pm

Nice work Ha!!

And in first place on the running side of the base mile blast is a raw vegan couple, who are running a marathon every day, all the way around Australia for a year. Their website... http://www.runningrawaroundaustralia.com Pretty damn awesome!
Prime

Postby bob_summers » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:40 am

Nice work Ha, Not only cleaned up on the miles and elevation but also the mind games as it looks like the other guys were uploading manual rides to try and catch up!

Now you've hung the bike up again I'm looking forward to hearing about how it went!
bob_summers

Postby Alistar » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:23 pm

Yeah top effort Ha and well done taking it out! Quite amazed at miles and elevation data. Inspirational stuff! :)
(Oh no! Just in! Looked like some guy just made a manual entry of 64,000miles(true) to take the top spot on the last day :roll: )

I'm sure it helped a lot of Omni's to rethink their attitudes towards "weak vegans" not getting enough protein or "x and y" , and so being unable to handle any tough physical challenges.

Be interesting to hear what effect all that riding had on the body, and how it handled it. Going from riding a few rides/wk to suddenly ramping up the k's and on tough terrain/hot temps like that would have had to have been tough? You must have been some peaks but a lot of troughs too? How did you mentally get through the hard times?
Alistar

Postby bob_summers » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:24 pm

Well in the end, Strava credited the Guadaloup fellow with some manually entered miles (350 of them!) which means he finishes top. I find it a little suspect that you'd do your last ride of the month without checking your garmin battery first... if I'd been sitting second and planned to take it with a 350m ride, I'd probably ride with two garmins!

Not that it really matters, some crazy mileage thrown down by all concerned!

That a raw fruit vegan can do those kind of miles doesn't surprise me at all. What does surprise me is that a guy who smoke ten cigarettes a day can keep up. I'm thinking of taking up smoking...
bob_summers

Postby hardcore iv » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:00 pm

He ate cooked food during it. He's posted a vid about it on youtube.

[quote="Ha"]My diet during this January challenge consisted of 100% vegan foods with fruit being the priority followed by organic coconut/cane sugar and then cooked vegan starch dishes like vegan sushi rolls, low sodium breakfast cereals, vegan sorbets, vegan jelly beans, tinned fruit, UHT fruit juices.
"When you are born, you are set forth to die. The fact that you live or don't live between these two dates depends solely upon your own will, opportunities and desires. The weight exerciser, of course, indicates that he chooses to live." Joseph Curtis Hise
hardcore iv

Postby kallefs » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:57 pm

What the hell!? This must cause some controversy in the 80/10/10 world. Even I feel a bit cheated.
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby bob_summers » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:18 pm

Sounds like a compromise towards portability. Carrying enough durian to fuel you for 350km is only gonna slow you down!
bob_summers

Postby JP » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:27 pm

impressive work from Ha, the fruit machine! My head hurts just trying to comprehend the mileage nailed.

And glad to see some food in the mix too :)
JP
Site Admin

Return to Cycling Forum