[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
• View topic - Long distance is where it's at - fact!

Long distance is where it's at - fact!

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: downhilling demon's MTB log

Postby downhillingdemon » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:11 pm

Friday
Working up North so took the bike, just in case I could squeeze in a bit of daylight riding. After a bit of an internet search, I found a short man-made trail relatively close to site so planned to link it up with some of the Pennine Bridleways. http://www.pmba.org.uk/Hurstwood.htm

Had plans to do one of the bigger bridleway loops, but as it was, there was quite a lot of snow which made it hard going and I had to get to the post office so didn't risk straying too far. Did have a pootle around the icy Pennine bridleways before heading back to the little Hurstwood MTB trail. Just a short snippet of 'blue' graded man-made purpose built trail......but what a blast! It's brilliant fun, really 'pumpy' and well built. I had to have 5 goes!

Started feeling feverish whilst out and was expecting to come down with the cold that had been with the other half all week. As it was, by the time I had driven home, I had shaken it off (and felt pretty good all weekend) :mrgreen:

11.54 km

Saturday
Relatively techy (and in places, high paced) ride through the off-piste stuff at Cannock with a group of exceptionally good riders. Thank goodness I have regained my fitness somewhat as didn't really start to flag until the last few sections.

27.26 km

Sunday
Fifth day in a row riding so feeling it somewhat. Nutrition has been dire for the last couple of days as well, it's amazing how much recovery suffers if you eat crap. Still, pootled around some Cotswold singletrack trails whilst visiting family and found some rather fun jumpy stuff hidden in the woods. Great doing more DH stuff on the trail bike, although I hate not having the fullface helmet on!

10.44 km

[quote="Frostfire"]Nice one for keeping the ladies night rides! Its hard to get people out in good weather let along winter weather.

Thanks FF :D
"You can't hide from your shadow"
downhillingdemon

Postby downhillingdemon » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:47 pm

Monday and Tuesday
Rest – big external audit week at work = long long days of panic checking the system!

Wednesday
Visit to Herts shore as the OH had a training day with Jedi. I didn’t do a lot of riding tbh, the audit week was stressing me out and I always find herts very intimidating. There is no easy lines, no easy jumps, just stuff that requires every inch of bike skill to come together.

The day was for Ian and not me, so I tried to stay out of the way as much as possible! I did get a bit of advice off Jedi though….got told what I already know, that I always look down when I am jumping. Such a terrible habit, and no matter what I do, I can’t seem to break it. I am really stuck with what to do about it. Jedi also told me to bring my pelvis forward when cornering. That was very useful feedback and immediately made ‘sense’.

Thursday
Ladies MCS evening ride. Finally, a beautiful sparkily evening with crispy trails. I took the camera out to get a few long exposure pics.

Also, would like to note, made the climb out of St Ann’s Café to Lady DeWaldens Drive. It’s a big ol climb for me, but did it, and was reet proud of myself….as you all know by now, me n climbing don’t always see eye to eye! 12.3 km total.

Friday
The weather changed again, and I got soaked to the skin riding the 3.9 km of constant uphill from the garage to home, and then having the joy of sliding across the park back to the garage when the van was fixed!

Gym in the evening. I knew squatting on a Friday would be a bad idea before a weekend of riding, but I had not been well pretty much since Wednesday with a bit of a grumbly stomach which really hit me Friday – guess it must’ve been a bug. Knew I wouldn’t have a lot of energy for a big ride on Saturday anyway and really desperately needed to squat after not doing so for a long ol’ time.
Considering how little food I had managed to digest in the day, the session went ok!
Warm up – 10 mins row, 10 mins x-train
Squats – free: 10, 10 bar: 10, 10
30 kg: 5 40 kg: 5
45 kg: 5x5
Pulls warm up then – 4, 3, 3, 3
Bench
Bar: 10, 10, 10
25 kg: 10, 10
30 kg: 10
35 kg: 5x5

Saturday
Had two riding options lined up (a big epic or timed practice) and neither were appealing with a stomach bug. So headed to the Forest of Dean to build some trails in the morning and then ride some DH in the afternoon with the trail bikes. Building is really rewarding, really wish we could do much more than we do, and wish more people would get involved.

We were helping rework the Freeminers red XC trail, which runs through some of my favourite bits of the FoD. Just beautiful 

Riding the trail bike on the very wet, very slippy, and rather rooty DH trails after was a bit of an eye opener though!

Sunday
Rumblings about sponsorship for next year are still continuing, so figured I better pull my finger out and get some DH practice in. That, and the fact that I can barely walk where my DOMS are so bad from Friday, meant we pushed about for the day rather than pedalled on an XC epic. TBH, it was ‘work’….the proper DH tracks in the Midlands have a lot going on, and Bucknell, particularly, I struggle with. Full of massive jumps, doubles, petrifying root sections and steep roll-downs, the trail has no let up from constant challenge. I may have to race this trail…..atm I can’t even ride it properly *gulps*

Really tried to focus on spotting key markers, braking zones and looking ahead…..but mostly it just did not come together and we called it a day after 3 hrs.

This jump is the most fun bit of the whole trail

But clearing this one was a right challenge

I have a long way to go, and really need to get my airbourne mojo back asap.
downhillingdemon

Postby downhillingdemon » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:30 pm

I GOT A 2013 SPONSOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup! Confirmed - I shall be riding for the wonderful Fly Up Downhill/Pedalabikeaway team next year. They are a great team with top class riders so I'm hoping that it is really going to push my riding up a level :mrgreen:

Monday - Gym
Still very sore from the weekend, but headed to the gym to get things back in sync with training. Am away for two days with work now so get to recover my very sore muscles before an awful lot of riding over Christmas. Can't wait for the holidays. :D
downhillingdemon

Postby kallefs » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:01 pm

Congratulations, that is really good news! Cool to be riding for a team 8) 2013 will start of well.
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby downhillingdemon » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:39 pm

[quote="kallefs"]Congratulations, that is really good news! Cool to be riding for a team 8) 2013 will start of well.

Thanks kallefs :D

Tuesday, Wednesday - away with work

Thursday - MCS ladies evening ride. A very steady, but thoroughly enjoyable, 16.14 km

Friday - last day at work for the holidays!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! May have eaten a bit too much at the work's Christmas meal to train tonight though *hic
downhillingdemon

Postby downhillingdemon » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:44 pm

Saturday – Peak Ride
What a weather-battered ride! I hadn’t slept well the night before, but it’s amazing what pain killers and dozing in the car on the way to a ride can get you through.

Biblical rain. Rivers for trails. Mud. Killer Climbs. Just couldn’t believe the amount of water pouring over the Derwent Dam.

But mostly brilliant (weather hardened Northern!) company and techfest rock descents. Oh, and mince pies and coffee :mrgreen:

The ducks were happy to see us at the café – their normal weekend tourist food supply was mostly absent, so a bag of duck food was more than welcomed!

20 km in torrential conditions = proper character building, that!

downhillingdemon

Postby silver » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:01 pm

Congrats on the sponsorship (and on being hardcore enough to be out in todays rain...)

I'm off to Cannock on my first ride in forever tomorrow.
I can see from the photos it's going to be an absolute mudbath. Glad it's not my car we're going in :)

Any reccomended trails to hit on the chase?
It's not what you do occasionally that makes a difference, it's that which you do everyday that brings progress.

http://www.thesilverman.co.uk

Strava-https://www.strava.com/athletes/2077466
silver
User Activation Admin

Postby seasiren » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:50 pm

[quote="downhillingdemon"]I GOT A 2013 SPONSOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations! :)

I love your photos, very beautiful area.
seasiren

Postby downhillingdemon » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:35 pm

[quote="seasiren"][quote="downhillingdemon"]I GOT A 2013 SPONSOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations! :)

I love your photos, very beautiful area.

Thank you!

[quote="silver"]Congrats on the sponsorship (and on being hardcore enough to be out in todays rain...)

I'm off to Cannock on my first ride in forever tomorrow.
I can see from the photos it's going to be an absolute mudbath. Glad it's not my car we're going in :)

Any reccomended trails to hit on the chase?

Sorry, only just seen this! Hope you had a good time at the Chase, you can't really go wrong following the Monkey Trail which is just awesome. Stile Cop is worth a look too, you don't need a DH bike to enjoy the trails there. I guess the Chase wasn't that muddy if you were on the purpose built stuff, it always seems to drain well with all those pebbles ;)

Sunday - DH sessioning
Had a push about at the FoD with a friend looking at lines on one the tracks likely to be raced in the next two rounds. It was great to see my friend really regain some DH confidence as she was ultra-nervous to start. :D

I personally struggled again getting back on the big bike and couldn't hold my speed. I'm going to have to slow the rebound down a little more for racing I think. When I'm riding for fun I like the bike kicking around and popping off stuff, but I have to have more control over it to nail lines accurately. Stupid thing is, I fear change......even reversible dials :P

Monday - Gym
Last day for a session until the new year. Did the work I needed to do. Felt strong on squats, even though it was an early morning session and I hadn't eaten anything other than a hemp shake. Hopefully the new year will give me chance to really get my squat strength up again.

Squats: Free 10, 10 Bar 10, 10
30 kg: 5, 5
40 kg: 5
45 kg: 5
47.5 kg: 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

Chins 4, 4, 4, 3

Press-ups with handles
downhillingdemon

Postby downhillingdemon » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:28 pm

Tuesday - Christmas Day
Short ride on the hills due to a broken cable, but it was enough. So nice to get out on Christmas Day, even with the weather as it is!
13.82 km

Ian climbing a steep bit - with a santa hat, of course!

Wednesday - Boxing Day
Fancy dress ride with onesies, Santa suits and incredibly slippy, muddy trails. Brilliant! So much fun.

Here's a little bit of video my friend has put up. You can see me looking just stunning ( :P ) in my onesie at about 1:44
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKH10FVzsGc[/youtube]

Thursday Morning - Hereford BMX Track
Gawd blimy I was knackard this morning. Just didn't have the energy needed for a wet and windy BMX track, or the courage to practice manualling rollers. Did have a handful of laps of the track though, such good practice. I really need to get there more often at lunchtimes when I am back in the office.

Slept all afternoon!

Thursday Evening - Ladies MCS ride
Well, much to my surprise, two ladies turned up. Another steady and enjoyable tour of the hills. Approx 14 km on the HT. Felt pretty strong compared to this morning. Amazing what an afternoon sleep can do.
downhillingdemon

Postby downhillingdemon » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:19 pm

Friday - Ladies Skills Session

This had been planned for a while and I had a lot of 'interest' so turned down the opportunity to ride elsewhere and committed to the date....only to have everyone cancel at the very last minute and just one lady turn up. It's difficult not to get frustrated when you have put your own riding on hold for people but hey ho, Christmas is a busy time and I guess other people do have family commitments/illness etc. However, the time wasn't wasted as Sarah made the most of the opportunity to try out SPD's for the first time. Not quite the skills session I was planning, but probably more rewarding as she took to them like a duck to water and it was great to see. :)

Plus, I was pretty tired, so having an afternoon chilling out wasn't all bad.

Saturday - Uplift at the FoD

It bucketed it down. Soaked through to the skin, trails like rivers, spikes necessary for the first time all year at the FoD, numerous crashes (not me for once!) with a possible calf-hernia to one rider (looks nasty) all topped off with lifts back up on the bus. It was awesome, entertaining and damn good practice :mrgreen:

I got in 8 runs, of which the first 4 were really slow. Once I got used to man-handling the big bike again rather than letting it lead me, things started getting a little better. I am really nervous of jumping at the moment though....one squiffy take-off too many has left me with no jump mojo in the wet, and I like jumping normally.

I need to get better on muddy stuff, and quick, as next year's race season calender is starting to rapidly fill up and I have yet to define my goals for the season. What do I want out of it? Goodness knows - I don't even know how I am going to cope with the step up to the bigger tracks and bigger competition at national level :shock:

Sunday - Rest Day

Trying to define those goals. I guess, in all honesty, I do actually have some serious goals to really push my limits and podium on some of the bigger races....I'm just struggling to accept that it is a reasonable expectation when I will be competing against some of the best (non-pro) ladies in the country. Getting the balance between PMA and DTI (daydreaming-the-impossible) is a difficult thing sometimes :roll:
downhillingdemon

Postby baldy » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:17 pm

[quote="downhillingdemon"]I GOT A 2013 SPONSOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome, well done!
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Re: Stepping it up to National Level

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:15 pm

Congrats DHD, that's fantastic!
Mr. Cleetus

Postby IronGirl » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:52 pm

[quote]I GOT A 2013 SPONSOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's awesome. Congratulations!
IronGirl

Postby JP » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:32 am

just adding to the congrats, great news about the sponsor :)

will they give you support in designing a training plan too or where does it come from?
JP
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs