Help! Wardrobe crisis!!

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Help! Wardrobe crisis!!

Postby drrtyoldpunk » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:26 pm

I am trying to work out what gear to buy in the january sales that I can put to good use in the V3K in June. I am not very familiar with the Welsh climate. Is it all about layers or a couple of good, technical items? I know a waterproof is a must but with weight and space being a factor, what do you folks run in? What would you recommend? The climate of the Welsh hills is a far cry from that of London, I suspect!
drrtyoldpunk

Re: Help! Wardrobe crisis!!

Postby vCLaW » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:14 am

I'm thinking about doing the V3K, and I'm assuming Welsh summer weather in the hills will be pretty similar to Scotland. I find summer hill running usually keeps me pretty warm, so I don't have to wear too much.
For upper body, often just a vest, or maybe a T-shirt. Or if a bit colder, a long sleeve base layer, with a vest over the top. For a longer run like the V3K, it might be worth taking an extra layer, in case it gets colder - maybe a long sleeve shirt, or a lightweight windproof jacket/gillet.
For legs, I find shorts (baggy) are fine for most summer weather, I have some longer shorts for colder days. If its really cold, 3/4 length tights or tracksters.

Plus a waterproof jacket and trousers - I carry these in my bag, but hardly ever wear them. And some sort of hat / buff and gloves can make a big difference.
vCLaW

Re: Help! Wardrobe crisis!!

Postby drrtyoldpunk » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:43 am

Thanks for that. In October in the Lake District I wore t-shirt, shorts and tights, gloves and a peak cap and was toasty warm during the run. That was a surprisingly sunny day with no mist, wind or rain!
drrtyoldpunk

Return to Vegan Runners