Home exercise bikes - advice needed!!!

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Home exercise bikes - advice needed!!!

Postby littlegirlbunny » Sun May 29, 2005 9:28 pm

Im not sure whether i should put this in here - or the cycling forum, but here goes:

i am looking to buy an exercise bike in the next couple of weeks - but i am a little overwhelmed by the choice. And how much to spend. I have an upper limit of about £500, but dont want to spend this much if the cheaper bikes will do the job ajust as well. Additionally, if it is necessary to spend more to get a worthwhile piece of equipment i would be happy to do that (within reason)

what sort of things should i look for to ensure i will get a piece of equipment that is confortable to use/maintain and will last?

has anyone got any experience of home use exercise bikes? any to definately avoid? (i have a cheap one at the moment and it is terrible - always breaking, difficult to set the resitance and a tempermental monitor)

any advice will be greatly appreciated :)
littlegirlbunny

Postby fredrikw » Sun May 29, 2005 9:56 pm

I moved this to the cycling forum, since this is bike-talk :D

First of all, why a stationary bike? I do both indoor training at home, spinning instructing and outdoor riding, and outdoor is by far the most enjoyable. If it's off-season training you need, I'd rather recommend spending money on a gym membership and doing spinning instead.
Read more on this
http://www.veganfitness.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2850

For buying a £500 bike, see
http://www.veganfitness.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3604

I hope this help...
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Dave Noisy » Mon May 30, 2005 7:41 am

Aye, or buy a trainer to pop your bike on....excercise bikes are so expensive, you can practically get a nice road bike and trainer for the same price...and you can ride it outside when you want too!
Dave Noisy

Postby FormicaLinoleum » Mon May 30, 2005 1:54 pm

I would recommend a regular bike and a trainer over an exercise bike as well.
FormicaLinoleum

Postby littlegirlbunny » Mon May 30, 2005 9:32 pm

well i hadnt even thought about that - what a bloody brilliant idea. shall do that - because i was thinking how much i like riding outdoors, but dont like the wet (sorry - im a wimp!) so decided on an exercise bike to use in all weather. but this way i can get the best of both worlds

im a happy bunny :D

thanks guys!
littlegirlbunny

Postby fredrikw » Mon May 30, 2005 9:41 pm

We cyclists talk about trainers as if it was common knowledge... just in case:
these come in different models, at different prices, so check around what is available.

the problem with stationary cycling is that it is quite boring, so I would again recommend checking out spinning as an alternative way of training. not at all the same thing as real cycling, but for many people it is so much easier to keep the motivation up and actually doing time on the bike when doing it in groups with an instructor rather than sitting on your own in your basement or garage...
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby littlegirlbunny » Mon May 30, 2005 9:57 pm

thanks for that - i take it i can use these trainers with mountain bikes? i will investigate tommorow.

i dont really get bored training at home - its one of the few times i get to listen to music, and im trying to learn french too - so i can listen to the CDs. i only really cycle to strengthen my knees enough so i can run without problems anyway - 30 mins 3 times a week is enough.

i do agree spinning classes or gym (i really, really miss my gym!) would be motivating, but i live in the middle of nowhere, so the time taken to get to the class, and motivation needed would probably neuter any benefits! i do appreciate the input though, and i am sure any city dwellers would consider that option.
littlegirlbunny

Postby FormicaLinoleum » Tue May 31, 2005 12:29 pm

[quote="littlegirlbunny"]thanks for that - i take it i can use these trainers with mountain bikes?

You can, but you should buy a slick tire to put on the back wheel when it's on the trainer.
FormicaLinoleum

Postby Dave Noisy » Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:54 pm

Cool, you'll be happy to pedal outdoors as well!

As mentioned, you can buy 'slick' tires too, which are smooth like a road bike, but fit on MTB wheels.

Let us know how this goes!
Dave Noisy

Re: Home exercise bikes - advice needed!!!

Postby Lordmuppet » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:59 pm

I'm also looking for an exercise bike. I don't actually have a regular bike so the thing suggested isn't an option.

Suggestions? So far i'm just going by amazon ratings and comments.

Looking for under 100 pounds

also pretty sure i want a folding one as I may move soon and it would be great to be able to put it away.
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby Herbsman » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:19 pm

I would recommend a decent fan to keep you cool, and a floor mat to stop the sweat going all over the floor.
Herbsman

Postby downhillingdemon » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:34 am

Holy bejebus this is an OLD thread dragged out the archives :shock:
"You can't hide from your shadow"
downhillingdemon

Postby fredrikw » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:18 pm

[quote="downhillingdemon"]Holy bejebus this is an OLD thread dragged out the archives :shock:

yeah, I was thinking the same thing :lol:
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Lordmuppet » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:07 pm

[quote="fredrikw"][quote="downhillingdemon"]Holy bejebus this is an OLD thread dragged out the archives :shock:

yeah, I was thinking the same thing :lol:

I use the site:www.veganfitness.net on google when i want to start a thread to see if it already exists and if it does I revive it like Dr Frankenstein :) :twisted:
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby silver » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:03 pm

Necromancy! Burn him, burn him. With fire!

From my limited stationary bikes experience, the cheap ones are seriously horrible.
There may be some good options second hand.

On a budget of £100 you may be better off buying a secondhand bike and riding properly.
For example, I bought a barely ridden Kona that was 12 years old for £50 recently. It's new price was 450 and it's a good enough piece of kit. Took a bit of searching, but I have plenty of time and no money...
It's not what you do occasionally that makes a difference, it's that which you do everyday that brings progress.

http://www.thesilverman.co.uk

Strava-https://www.strava.com/athletes/2077466
silver
User Activation Admin

Next

Return to Cycling Forum