[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
• View topic - Reduce visceral fat

Reduce visceral fat

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Reduce visceral fat

Postby penguin » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:56 am

hi, I got a inbody check and visceral fat was a bit high, any dietical advice how to reduce it? I was thinking cutting down deep-fried foods (crips, chips), salted peanuts and the like, any other suggestions?

Of course try to add more physical exercises also and turn bodyfat to muscles.
my body is not a temple, it's an amusement park
penguin

Re: Reduce visceral fat

Postby Lordmuppet » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:03 am

[quote="penguin"]hi, I got a inbody check and visceral fat was a bit high, any dietical advice how to reduce it? I was thinking cutting down deep-fried foods (crips, chips), salted peanuts and the like, any other suggestions?

Of course try to add more physical exercises also and turn bodyfat to muscles.

good luck! :) Remember, though, that bodyfat doesn't literally turn into muscle :) That's like turning coal into gold ;)

have a look at www.cronometer.com for calorie counting
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby penguin » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:18 am

[quote="Lordmuppet"]good luck! :) Remember, though, that bodyfat doesn't literally turn into muscle :) That's like turning coal into gold ;)

Been hoping scientists would solve that problem, but I guess they are busy doing something else :(
penguin

Postby Philippe » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:46 am

reduce overall calorie intake.
Avoid sugar, corn and all its derivatives. Remember, alcohol is turned into sugar quite rapidly by your liver. Drinking is actually like eating candy.
Fried food? You eat fried food? Yes, I guess your body is not your temple!
Philippe

Postby Lordmuppet » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:54 am

why don't you post what you eat in a typical day?

Also remember you can't outtrain a bad diet!

I'd be a bit less hardline about fried stuff than Philippe. Eat wholefoods 90% of the time and you'll be fine if you have a wee treat 10% of the time.

Right now very much a case of do what i say and not as I do though ... ;) Trying to sort out my own diet. I've found that compliance charts are key for me so that I can keep track of whether I'm at 90% or not. Also it adds accountability if you post the result somewhere like a training log.
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby tal » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:17 am

[quote="penguin"] I was thinking cutting down deep-fried foods (crips, chips), salted peanuts and the like, any other suggestions?

This will make zero difference in losing body fat. You could easily include these foods in your diet and lose fat. Just eat fewer calories overall, sufficient protein, and weight train.
tal

Postby mouche » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:18 am

[quote="Talyn"][quote="penguin"] I was thinking cutting down deep-fried foods (crips, chips), salted peanuts and the like, any other suggestions?

This will make zero difference in losing body fat. You could easily include these foods in your diet and lose fat. Just eat fewer calories overall, sufficient protein, and weight train.

I agree with the scientific factual side of this argument, but this stance, which has been repeated a number of times on this forum, might not always be appropriate especially for a beginner to fitness or weight-loss.

Yes it's all about calorie intake and expenditure, but realistically, if an individual wants to lose weight, the easiest first step might be to cut out certain less-nutrient-dense, higher-calorie foods. One the one hand, they won't be losing any vital nutrients from cutting out these foods, and on the other, these are the types of foods that as often associated with overeating and unnecessarily large portion sizes.

Personally, I would rather cut out some unhealthy foods and keep the rest of my food intake the same, than eat less of everything. I like large portions but I can happily live without chips. By boyfriend Ben, however, loves treats and snacks and sugar but hates feeling full, so it was easy for him to just reduce overall volume when he needed to cut weight.

If penguin is happy to eliminate deep-fried, high-sodium, high-calorie foods, this might be the best method to encourage.

penguin, if you could post up an example of a couple of day's worth of food intake, we might be able to give you more personalised advice. In the meantime, good luck with your goals! It's nice to see somebody taking responsibility for their own health and taking steps towards improving it :)
Great Vegan Expectations
mouche

Postby Linnéa76 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:46 pm

Penguin, since you're worried about visceral fat there's a few more things you should take into account:

1. Alcohol makes the body more prone to storing fat around the organs (as well as providing unnecessary calories).

2. Stress and lack of sleep -> higher levels of hormones that also have this effect. (Plus sleep deprivation can lead to
lower testosterone levels which is a disadvantage if you want to gain muscle and burn fat).
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby Lordmuppet » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:08 pm

[quote="Linnéa76"]1. Alcohol makes the body more prone to storing fat around the organs (as well as providing unnecessary calories)..

recent studies also suggest that alcohol can increase the more fabulous hormones in a sub-population of muppets

Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby Linnéa76 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:11 am

[quote="Lordmuppet"][quote="Linnéa76"]1. Alcohol makes the body more prone to storing fat around the organs (as well as providing unnecessary calories)..

recent studies also suggest that alcohol can increase the more fabulous hormones in a sub-population of muppets

You sure about that? :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y1QxF0hs_0[/youtube]
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby Lordmuppet » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:42 am

[quote="Linnéa76"][quote="Lordmuppet"][quote="Linnéa76"]1. Alcohol makes the body more prone to storing fat around the organs (as well as providing unnecessary calories)..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y1QxF0hs_0[/youtube]

My eyebrow's je ne sais quoi is undeniable :D

Also I'd be interested to see where you are getting your info from. The stuff I've previously read here http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sex_news_sports_funny/a_muscleheads_guide_to_alcohol_1 suggests that moderate consumption isn't really a big deal.

Sure t-nation might not be the best source in the world but it's pretty good i think (or was anyway). Also they have a bunch of references one can check up on.

edited to add: the level of fabulousness in my eyebrow is actually a bit of a problem. I used to raise it like that as a kid so much that now it is permanently slightly higher than the other one because the muscles are overdeveloped :lol:
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby Linnéa76 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:17 pm

I'm certainly not dissing your eyebrow bro! 8)

I think the connection between alcohol and organ fat is pretty uncontroversial, you're probably right
that moderate consumption needn't have that effect but then a large proportion of the population do drink quite
immoderately! I did a quick search now to get an update and found a pretty interesting study: http://jn.nutrition.org/content/133/8/2655.full
It seems to confirm my own empirical findings that binge drinkers are prone to having beer bellies...

[quote]We also observed that in addition to the amount of alcohol consumed, the pattern of drinking may affect fat distribution. For example, when we examined frequency of drinking, we found that among both women and men, daily drinkers of alcohol had smaller measures than less frequent drinkers. However, as drinking intensity measured as drinks/drinking day increased, so did the abdominal heights. The effects of frequency and intensity were independent of the effects of the total amount of alcohol consumed. When frequency and intensity of drinking were combined, small amounts of alcohol on a regular basis were associated with the smallest abdominal heights, whereas participants with the most intense drinking (3–4+ drinks/drinking day) but on a sporadic basis (<weekly) had some of the largest abdominal heights.
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby Lordmuppet » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:43 pm

[quote="Linnéa76"]I'm certainly not dissing your eyebrow bro! 8)

I think the connection between alcohol and organ fat is pretty uncontroversial, you're probably right
that moderate consumption needn't have that effect but then a large proportion of the population do drink quite
immoderately! I did a quick search now to get an update and found a pretty interesting study: http://jn.nutrition.org/content/133/8/2655.full
It seems to confirm my own empirical findings that binge drinkers are prone to having beer bellies...

[quote]We also observed that in addition to the amount of alcohol consumed, the pattern of drinking may affect fat distribution. For example, when we examined frequency of drinking, we found that among both women and men, daily drinkers of alcohol had smaller measures than less frequent drinkers. However, as drinking intensity measured as drinks/drinking day increased, so did the abdominal heights. The effects of frequency and intensity were independent of the effects of the total amount of alcohol consumed. When frequency and intensity of drinking were combined, small amounts of alcohol on a regular basis were associated with the smallest abdominal heights, whereas participants with the most intense drinking (3–4+ drinks/drinking day) but on a sporadic basis (<weekly) had some of the largest abdominal heights.

For sure I'd agree with everything you said. I just wasn't clear, at first, if your point extended to any level of alcohol consumption
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby penguin » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:56 pm

Thank you all for replies!
[quote="Lordmuppet"]why don't you post what you eat in a typical day?

Ok, my typical workday.

Breakfest (7am):
Oat porridge with berries (blueberries, etc.) and oatmilk. Or smoothie (banana, berries, oatmilk) and two slices of ryebread.
Soylatte
From time to time some fruits also (orange, mandarin orange)

1-2 cups of coffee.

Lunch (~11am), this depends where I am at daytime :
Mostly I eat at a student restaurant, usually they have some vegan sauce (for example tomato based with vegetables, tofu and beans), and with it rice or pasta. And then some grated vegetables/root vegetables and a slice of bread.
Once or twice a week falafel with french fries and (lousy) salad
Chinease (some tofu sauce, rice, springrolls). Just found this one, might switch to eat here more instead of falafels.

Snacks:
Sometimes dark chocolate, salted peanuts, etc.

Dinner (~7pm):
If I eat at home its usually pasta/potatamash/regular potatos with some sauce (vegetables and tofu/tempeh/beans/seeds) and leafy greens.
Or if tired might just warm some french fries with some textured soy protein stuff.
Or a smoothie.
Or if I don't eat at home, its usually thaifood, falafels or pizza.

Sometimes fruits in the evening

After practise I usually eat proteinbar (builders bar or extreme croucher).

I used to do exercises 2-3 times a week, but sometimes its just 1-2 or even 0 times on some weeks. I try now to increase it to 3-4 times a week and for a longer goal I want to loose 3-4 kgs and build more muscle. I was in good shape otherwice in the tests, just few kgs of extra in the waists, little high visceral fat and not so good muscle/fat ratio.

[quote="Talyn"]This will make zero difference in losing body fat. You could easily include these foods in your diet and lose fat. Just eat fewer calories overall, sufficient protein, and weight train.

[quote="mouche"]
I agree with the scientific factual side of this argument, but this stance, which has been repeated a number of times on this forum, might not always be appropriate especially for a beginner to fitness or weight-loss.

Yes it's all about calorie intake and expenditure, but realistically, if an individual wants to lose weight, the easiest first step might be to cut out certain less-nutrient-dense, higher-calorie foods. One the one hand, they won't be losing any vital nutrients from cutting out these foods, and on the other, these are the types of foods that as often associated with overeating and unnecessarily large portion sizes.

This is what I had in mind also :) + I've read trans fats arent the healthiest to eat in large quantities.

[quote="Linnéa76"]Penguin, since you're worried about visceral fat there's a few more things you should take into account:

1. Alcohol makes the body more prone to storing fat around the organs (as well as providing unnecessary calories).

2. Stress and lack of sleep -> higher levels of hormones that also have this effect. (Plus sleep deprivation can lead to
lower testosterone levels which is a disadvantage if you want to gain muscle and burn fat).

Thanks for the input!

1. I've reduced alcohol consumption quite a bit in the last few years and it's now quite modarate. And if I'm trying to do sports 3-4 times a week it makes drinking quite impossible.

2. I do have sleeping problems (and stress also), this is something that isn't easily fixed, but it's been getting better.
penguin

Postby thestoatyone » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:19 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y1QxF0hs_0[/youtube][/quote]

Did anyone see the original of this? It had a "hover-over" circle type thing that turned the boozer's perception into the reality of what they were doing. V.funny!
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

[quote="muchluv"]When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Next

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating