Nutrition for endurance race?

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Nutrition for endurance race?

Postby xJimx » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:07 am

Starting in 12 days time I have a 3 day race (100 miles on foot, bike, kayak). I'm guessing I should be 'carbing up' for this event in some way? If so, should i start now, how much should I be eating etc? Any thoughts/tips appreciated.
DYEL
xJimx

Re: Nutrition for endurance race?

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:34 pm

They main thing is just to make sure you are eating. :P There are some protocols for carb loading that usually only start a few days from the event, but I am not sure how much the science backs even that up any more. Your safest bet will be just to continue with your normal diet and don't eat anything too abnormal in the day or two before if you are prone to gut issues (assuming you eat a reasonable diet). You will be emptying out your stores fairly early on the first day anyway.

Do you have your eating plan sorted for during the race? that is likely to be the bigger challenge.
Mr. Cleetus

Re: Nutrition for endurance race?

Postby xJimx » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:28 pm

No plan for the race yet but 3 meals per day are provided & I've been assured I'll be catered for properly, so just need snacks I guess like flapjacks, jar of PB etc.
DYEL
xJimx

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating