Olympic cycling

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: Olympic cycling

Postby fredrikw » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:11 pm

The BMX is AWESOME, beats all the other cycling disciplines hands down. Live now at http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/london2012/index.html (might need a European IP-address)
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:29 pm

Looks great. But really random. The commentator said, if the same race was run tomorrow, the results would be totally different. Looks like so much can go wrong, and it all depends on the start.
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby ninearms » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:47 pm

JohnBarleycorn wrote:Looks great. But really random. The commentator said, if the same race was run tomorrow, the results would be totally different. Looks like so much can go wrong, and it all depends on the start.

I think Pajon would have still won the women's event. 3rd in the time trial, won all 4 of her races. She just seemed to be a better starter than everyone else, and rode faster than everyone else.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby fredrikw » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:03 pm

I dont think its random at all. Sure the margins are quite small, but you can still easioh spot the fast and skilled riders from the start.
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:45 am

I didn't mean random as an insult.....it looks great and if i was younger, I'd have a go. It just looks like there is so much to go wrong. Such a short time to get things right and so much to go wrong, especially with regard to the other riders falling infront of you. It makes Kierin racing look like childs play !
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby baldy » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:26 pm

Have got the mountain biking on now. What is happening?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby fredrikw » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:33 pm

Sure, but it's all part of the sport. Although having three heats instead of one avoids the pitfalls of short track where an Australian won gold just by being too far behind the rest of the group to avoid crashing

Now that's random! Here the ones that qualified to the final and winning wasn't there by chance, but actually performed and were real gold medal candidates.
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby sergio » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:24 pm

The mtb circuit looked quite good on TV. And it's probably even better in reality.
I accidentally replaced all of my blood with coffee.
sergio

Postby Alistar » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:00 am

That bmx course looked brutal! Felt sorry for the NZ guy in BMX as a real chance for a medal this time round. Was really quite dominant in all the qualifying rounds( 1st or 2nd) as always at the front to the 1st corner so missed all the crashes, although got pipped a few times by a few guys a little better on the humps. Then in the semi's was in 3rd and just fell off for no reason, as just lost concentration and got his weight slightly wrong over a hump, got injured and that was his Olympics over. 4yrs down the drain :(
Great to see the NZ woman get Silver after 4th in Beijing. She realised its such a mental game, and getting her psychology right was the difference between a Silver medal, and the wooden spoon last time around :D

That mtb course looks like great fun! Would love to give it a go. Just the right balance of technical sections and hills for an Olympic course I reckon. Those hills would be a lot tougher than they look on TV too! Good to see a 40yr old get the Silver though.
Alistar

Previous

Return to Cycling Forum