Quick beeb article on IF

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Quick beeb article on IF

Postby thestoatyone » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:17 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19112549

Doesn't the drop in IGF-1 mean not-so-good things for hypertrophy and strength gains?
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

[quote="muchluv"]When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Re: Quick beeb article on IF

Postby beforewisdom » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:55 pm

It is controversial, but many people think higher blood levels of ILGF-1 may indicate an increased chance of sexual cancers in the same way higher cholesterol may mean a cardiovascular event:

http://beforewisdom.com/blog/milkandbon ... st-cancer/
beforewisdom

Postby baldy » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:20 am

Seemed like a very novel way to reduce calories, the rest of it sounded like mambo jumbo.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby LMM » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:06 pm

Beforewisdom, you've entitled your blog post about Dr Jane Plant's book 'Quit Milk, Survive Cancer'; have you read Dr Plant's 'Your Life in Your Hands', her first book?

Plant, who is a geologist not a medical doctor, claims she defeated breast cancer by dropping dairy from her diet, and that her tumour began to shrink within days of giving up dairy.

It's odd, but most people who want to believe Plant's theory fail to notice that, by her own account, she was undergoing a course of chemotherapy when she began her dairy-free diet and noticed her tumour shrink. I didn't notice it myself the first time I read the book in 2003, and I too found her work empowering; I felt almost smug, actually - another hideous disease my vegan diet was protecting me from!

I felt a great deal less bloody smug when I read it again about 8 months later - I'd just been diagnosed with breast cancer that turned out to be advanced and aggressive.

I'm still a vegan, I'll always be a vegan. But I think Plant's claims, and those of anyone who claims avoiding dairy will either prevent or cure any type of cancer, are demonstrably wrong and potentially very dangerous; at worst they could lead to people deciding against evidence-based treatments - something Plant herself didn't do.
LMM

Postby Fallen_Horse » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:35 pm

I think there has been good evidence that a vegan diet reduces the chance of colon cancer, but that's about the only cancer it's helpful with.
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby tal » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:26 pm

[quote="Fallen_Horse"]I think there has been good evidence that a vegan diet reduces the chance of colon cancer, but that's about the only cancer it's helpful with.

Do you know of any sources that back up this claim? I'd be interested to read about it.
tal

Postby beforewisdom » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:34 pm

LMN,

In her book Dr. Plant explains pretty well how her particular scientific background allowed her to see things how she did. I agree with you, a casual book of one scientist's anecdotal account does not scientific fact make. That isn't a problem, as many other researchers consider ILGF-1 to have a similar relationship to sex cancers as cholesterol has to cardiovascular disease. You don't need to take her word.

I think it is useful to look at the balance of risks and benefits. What would someone get from taking ILGF-1 that would be worth the risks of prostate or breast cancer?

Additionally, Dr. Plant quit dairy after chemotherapy was failing to give her results, once she did she got rapid and lasting results. Have you read the book?
beforewisdom

Postby LMM » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:04 pm

Beforewisdom:

I thought it was clear from my previous answer that I had read Plant's 'Your Life in Your Hands' twice - once before and once after my breast cancer diagnosis.

No, she did not quit dairy after chemo failed to give results. She had begun a course of chemo when she decided to drop dairy, and she continued with that course of chemo till its end . While she was on that course of chemo, her tumour shrank and didn't return. Following that chemo, she has been in complete remission, as I have since my breast cancer treatment. Though she and others want to attribute her remission to a dairy-free diet, those are the facts as told by Plant in YLIYH.

Have I read the book by Plant that you review? No. I gave up on Plant in some disgust at her claims that a dairy-free diet will prevent breast cancer.

And it's this claim I'm challenging in your review, which you've entitled 'Quit Milk, Survive Cancer' - as inaccurate, misleading and potentially dangerous as the book's title, 'The No Dairy Breast Cancer Prevention Programme'.

If a dairy-free diet prevented breast cancer, I'd still have two breasts. If I'd relied on my dairy-free diet to cure my cancer, I'd be dead
LMM

Postby thestoatyone » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:10 pm

Oh, I suspected this would kick off a barny about bad science!

[quote="LMM"]If a dairy-free diet prevented breast cancer, I'd still have two breasts. If I'd relied on my dairy-free diet to cure my cancer, I'd be dead
Wise words from a survivor, dismiss at your peril.

To bring it back to a somewhat lighter and more 'fitness' (in the sense of sporting effectiveness) related topic, does anyone have anything on IGF-1 and muscle/power creation? I thought some supps were sold on the promise of creating more of this?

Does it just give you cancer, or is there a performance pay-off?
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

[quote="muchluv"]When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating