Newbie Runner with ankle pain

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Newbie Runner with ankle pain

Postby Mattman4 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:36 pm

First Post (of many)!!!!

I started running about 2 months ago after a year long break. I run 5K 3 days a week (Mon,Wed & Fri) I'm running that in 25-28min on average (but I'm getting faster) just so you get an idea of my current pace. lol
About 3 weeks ago, my right ankle has started hurting. Its a sharp pain, that includes the ankle, and the soft tissue in between my inner ankle and my Achilles tendon going vertically up my leg for about 4 inches. My Achilles tendon doesn't hurt, but tissue towards my inner ankle does.

While I'm running I have very minor discomfort, not even quite 'pain', maybe like a 1 or 2 out of a scale of 10. After my run, it feels ok, again, minor discomfort. but the next day is when its hurts a lot. It mostly only hurts when I stand or walk on it - maybe a 6 or 7 out of 10 on the ole' pain scale. There's no visible swelling, or black and blue coloring. Just pain, icing doesn't seem to help much. By the next morning (the day I run again) it feels fine. Then the whole cycle starts again - rinse and repeat.

The day after i run it hurts, but only lasts one day.

Before I Run, I quickly stretch - mainly just calves, quads, and hips, then I walk 5min as a warm up. I run my 5k, then I do a 5min walk as cool down after I complete my Run, and end the way I started with some light stretching.

It feels like its all soft tissue, nothing with the bones, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Is there some specific stretch that i could do or a way to loosen up or something. I don't want to cause some serious damage if i keep ignoring it. I want to keep running, I really enjoy it. Am i just being a big baby about this? Is this just the normal aches and pains of running?

Insight is appreciated!
Loving the forums BTW.
Mattman4

Re: Newbie Runner with ankle pain

Postby Hiking Fox » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:24 pm

I'm not an expert, but I think that 5K runs after a 2 year break is getting back into it too quickly and straining your body.

I recommend intervals of running combined with intervals of walking, building up after a few weeks to the full 5K.

My technique of getting back into running after recovering from an injury (combined with unwelcome weight gain), which was recommended by much more experienced runners and which has been pain-free, was to do this:

Week 1: Run 1.5 mins, walk briskly 1.5 mins repeatedly for half an hour.

Week 2: Run 2 mins, walk briskly 1.5 mins repeatedly for half an hour.

Week 3: Run 2.5 mins, walk briskly 1.5 mins repeatedly for half an hour.

Week 4: Run 3 mins, walk briskly 1 mins repeatedly for half an hour.

Week 5 (or when ready if later): Run non-stop for half an hour.
Hiking Fox

Postby Hiking Fox » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:27 pm

Also, the jury is out on routinely stretching. Lots of runners don't bother, as they believe it has no benefits. There are certain stretches that can help with specific muscle problems, but allowing your body to adjust at a slower pace to your increase in exercise is more likely to reduce your discomfort.
Hiking Fox

Postby ColleenE » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:07 pm

It sounds like peroneal tendonitis--it's on the lateral side, yes? Try epsom salt baths for 20 minutes at least once a day in VERY warm water, take bromelain and cumin. Do ankle strengthening exercises and avoid running for a week, then start back with a progression.
ColleenE

Postby ninearms » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:42 pm

“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby Mattman4 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Thanks for the replies.

It did gradually start running. i started running 5min at a time with 1min walk breaks, then i bumped up to 8min, then 10, then 15min, before I started doing full 5Ks again. maybe it was still a little to much of a ramp up.

I'll take it easy the rest of this week and slow up a smidgen, and hopefully that will ease it a little.

@ColleenE - its on the inside of my right ankle thus making it posterior tibial tendonitis? i looked it up a little but and it seems to resemble that the most. and thanks for the Bromelain and cumin suggestion. I love me some natural remedies.
Mattman4

Return to Vegan Runners