Anyone know a good site for bike road races in the US?

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Anyone know a good site for bike road races in the US?

Postby DC Runner » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:47 pm

Hey everyone, I wanted to try my first bicycle race this year, but I have no idea where to look. A friend of mine told me about the Reston Century in Virginia, but I found out it's a tour, not a race. When I started looking around, it seems like most, if not all, are tours. Can someone help me out here?
DC Runner

Re: Anyone know a good site for bike road races in the US?

Postby ColleenE » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:40 pm

I've heard that the Green Mountain Stage Race in Vermont is amazing but tough as hell. (www.gmsr.info/)
ColleenE

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:04 am

In Britain, generally speaking, you have to be a member of a club or team first, and have a racing license for road races. I thought it was the same in the US ? And through the club, you meet people who can help you ride your first races.

If you haven't raced before, nothing can really prepare you for the speed and aggression, and it'll come as quite a shock, no matter how fit you are, or think you are, and no matter how much you have trained. So start at the lowest.

If you are talking about off road racing, then I haven't a clue !
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby DC Runner » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:06 pm

Thanks, Colleen. That race sounds intense. Know of anything in the Maryland/DC/Virginia area?

I guess it's just weird to me that cycling races are put on in such a different fashion than running races.
DC Runner

Postby ColleenE » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:49 pm

You're welcome! JohnBC is right in that for a good number of cycling races, you need to have a license and be a member of a club. For instance, if I want to race in Central Park, NY, I need to be registered. I think there is good reason for this. Cycling races are MUCH more dangerous than running races. Most TOURS (like NYC Century Tour) are different. If you're interested in just a nice long bike tour, those are less involved and intense.

Try googling cycling races dc and lots of possibilities pop up. I can't recommend one personally, though.
ColleenE

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:29 pm

As a Cat 5 racer, which is where you would be starting, you can buy a one-day license and do not need to be a member of a club:

http://www.usacycling.org/usa-cycling-l ... mation.htm

Having said that, I think you will have the most fun if you can find a team affiliated with a local shop and join that, and train with them and learn from them. Either way, if you can find a local shop that supports racing, that will be your best bet to learn about what the local races are and what you might "enjoy". There is also an event calendar on the USA cycling site.
Mr. Cleetus

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:59 am

[quote="DC Runner"]Thanks, Colleen. That race sounds intense. Know of anything in the Maryland/DC/Virginia area?

I guess it's just weird to me that cycling races are put on in such a different fashion than running races.

As Colleen mentioned, cycle races have to be different because they can be very dangerous. They are run on public roads, where road laws apply, and there needs to be insurance and other considerations. Once you have raced on open roads, at 40mph and faster, with cars coming on the opposite side of the road, you'll see why its very different to running races.

Anyway, good luck, and I hope you enjoy your first race !
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby GenKreton » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:51 pm

Most races in the NE USA, and I believe most of the US, use bikereg.com as their registration system. You can browse through races in your location on the website.
GenKreton

Postby vivalasvegans » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:31 am

DC Runner, have you tried a race yet? I think your best bet as a novice would be to ask around at local road/racing oriented bike shops. Ask for coaches, teams, workshops, training rides... a lot of teams have "meet the team" type rides every now and then too. Although as a beginning racer you should be able to ride unaffiliated if you want. Teams are way more fun though.

Virginia cycling association
http://www.vacycling.org/

mid atlantic bicycle racing association
http://www.mabra.org/
vivalasvegans

Return to Cycling Forum