high temperatures

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

high temperatures

Postby runner » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:01 am

Sunday i'll run a 10 k

they say it will be 25'C

does anyone have any advice? I don't want to drink during the race, because this is dificult and breaks down my pace (if i can make it with this temperature)...

thank you
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby fredrikw » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:57 am

make sure you get enough electrolytes during and after the race, you lose a lot when sweating. since it's a rather short race you might be able to do it without drinking, but the warmer it is the more your body needs the water to cool down... if drinking during a race slows you down too much you should practice how to drink and run, that's how you do it when cycling at least...

regarding the temperature I have been cycling in over 30C and it's really no problem as long as you hydrate and also replentish the salt you lose when sweating.

good luck tomorrow!
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby runner » Sun May 01, 2005 3:01 pm

One explanation.. in the netherlands the temperature is really diferent from many other countries.. there is a lot of wather in the air...

the race went bad.. but the same happend to all participants.. the number one couldn't get a time under the 30 minutes (national top should run 28)

after 5 k i saw my time and felt bad.. the same story for my friends (who i met after the finish) we just considered it a training and went slowly to the finish....

i guess you've to get used to high temperatures ore do something diferent...
runner

Postby ultra_whippet » Sun May 01, 2005 4:25 pm

Hey runner

Sorry your race didn't go so well. I find running in hot weather is always very hard, also it's difficult to find motivation when you know that you aren't going to run a quick time. Hope you have better luck with your next race.....
ultra_whippet

Postby Dave Noisy » Sun May 01, 2005 5:51 pm

I have very little experience running, but in the 10K race i did last weekend, i grabbed a cup of water and just splashed it in my mouth and spit it out, that actually felt pretty good....it was only about 15 degrees tho.
Dave Noisy

Postby runner » Tue May 03, 2005 6:56 am

thank you for your nice words..

i'll hope your sports activities are going better..
runner

Postby runner » Fri May 27, 2005 10:36 pm

today i tried it again running with a high temperature 27 'C

It went :? again my exact time is not clear, but it will be around 10.45 on a 3000mtr and that is not something i should finish with...

but this whas my first 3000 mtr

now i'll try the 1500 meters in 3 ore 4 weeks.. the temperature should be less of an excuse on shorter distances...

i'll see how that will be..
runner

Postby runner » Sat May 28, 2005 8:11 am

My oficial time 10.45.64 min on 3k (=3000mtrs)

track but without spikes.

position 7 out of 13

My position is not to importand for me, but this time does not make me happy.. but when it will be colder after summer i try it again. first 1500
runner

Postby genevieve » Sun May 29, 2005 2:55 pm

Dave Noisy wrote:I have very little experience running, but in the 10K race i did last weekend, i grabbed a cup of water and just splashed it in my mouth and spit it out, that actually felt pretty good....it was only about 15 degrees tho.

That's what I do Dave as drinking water while running slows me down. I actually don't find myself that thirsty while and after running, I just splash it on myself or swish it in my mouth and spit it out.

Being close to summer weather now, I have started running in the wee morning b4 the sun starts baking down on me.
Last edited by genevieve on Sun May 29, 2005 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
genevieve

Postby runner » Sun May 29, 2005 7:33 pm

In hot summer days i do the same, but in a race you don't have a chance to run at an other hour.. 30 'C is also extreamly hot here so it's not the fault of anybody here. In the netherlands 30 'C feels like 40 'C in spain because of the air...

but i should stop complaining about this and act diferent and run faster...
runner

Postby genevieve » Sun May 29, 2005 10:59 pm

I guess your right, you really dont have a choice what the weather will be when doing a 10k run such as you did. Altho it is very hard running in sweltering heat so dont be too hard on yourself, you did the best you could, right ;)

I am new to running, I have just started running every morning and I have only ever done the Times Colonist 10K three times and it has always been in spring so the weather has been just right. But I do know what it is like running in stinking hot heat and it is very hard.
genevieve

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness