Goobs log, Now with video!!!

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: Goobs log

Postby Goob » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:51 pm

Plans for today got canceled at the last minute so went in for some squats and messing around

7/7/2012
Squat
10xbar
10x95 lbs
5x135 lbs
3x185 lbs
3x205 lbs
3x2x225 lbs

Worked on power cleans again for a while, Still doesn't make sense. I must be an idiot.

Did some pull downs, face pulls, dislocates and various other shoulder prehab stuff as well

Edit: Also weighed and measured the bars I like to use and the "fat bar" i use for squats is ~44.5 lbs and ~31mm around and the probably knockoff "texas power bar" I use for everything else is just over 44 lbs, so probably spot on 20 kg and ~28.5mm around. So ,the weight difference is negligible, and lots of the guys at my gym pretend to bench ~5 lbs less than they think :lol:
Last edited by Goob on Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikhail Koklyaev wrote:Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
User avatar
Goob
Active Member
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:27 pm

Re: Goobs log

Postby blinki » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:56 pm

Goob wrote:Worked on power cleans again for a while, Still doesn't make sense. I must be an idiot.
It doesn't make sense to me either. Slow motion videos helped me a bit but after throwing the bar into my face a few times I decided I don't care enough to learn
User avatar
blinki
Active Member
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:26 am
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Goobs log

Postby Goob » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:46 pm

blinki wrote:
Goob wrote:Worked on power cleans again for a while, Still doesn't make sense. I must be an idiot.
It doesn't make sense to me either. Slow motion videos helped me a bit but after throwing the bar into my face a few times I decided I don't care enough to learn


Slow motion videos only confuse me more, because it's very obvious they are doing things they didn't say to do. Like smacking their hips or thighs into the bar.

Mostly they say "jump and catch" which seems to work fine with light weights, but people aren't cleaning 180+ kg that way.
Mikhail Koklyaev wrote:Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
User avatar
Goob
Active Member
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:27 pm

Re: Goobs log

Postby Goob » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:25 pm

7/9/2012
Bench
10xbar
10x75 lbs
5x120 lbs
3x135 lbs
4x145 lbs was expecting at least 5 but didn't have it today

Front Squat
10xbar
5x95 lbs
5x115 lbs
5x135 lbs
3x155 lbs
2x175 lbs
1x185 lbs
1x190 lbs
Fx195 lbs :x

Overhead
10xbar
5x65 lbs
5x85 lbs
3x100 lbs
2x115 lbs push press
1x125 lbs push press
7x85 lbs strict

~25 pull ups randomly throughout
Mikhail Koklyaev wrote:Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
User avatar
Goob
Active Member
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:27 pm

Re: Goobs log

Postby baldy » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:07 am

Goob wrote:Slow motion videos only confuse me more, because it's very obvious they are doing things they didn't say to do. Like smacking their hips or thighs into the bar.

Mostly they say "jump and catch" which seems to work fine with light weights, but people aren't cleaning 180+ kg that way.

It is really hard to learn even with a coach, so doubly hard to learn by yourself. Don't loose heart, it will gradually click together, smashing the bar into your thighs is generally a good sign. Post a video here and we can give you pointers.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
User avatar
baldy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7293
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 10:23 am
Location: St Albans UK

Re: Goobs log

Postby ninearms » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:50 am





“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
User avatar
ninearms
Perked Member
 
Posts: 6041
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:07 pm
Location: Leicester, UK

Re: Goobs log

Postby Goob » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:34 pm

baldy wrote:
Goob wrote:Slow motion videos only confuse me more, because it's very obvious they are doing things they didn't say to do. Like smacking their hips or thighs into the bar.

Mostly they say "jump and catch" which seems to work fine with light weights, but people aren't cleaning 180+ kg that way.

It is really hard to learn even with a coach, so doubly hard to learn by yourself. Don't loose heart, it will gradually click together, smashing the bar into your thighs is generally a good sign. Post a video here and we can give you pointers.


Yeah, I'm going to have to break down and buy a camera. I'm not likely to find a good coach, so I'll need to start recording everything.

I've never hated crossfit more than I do while trying to find weightlifting coaches/clubs. There is a registered weightlifting club ~15 miles from my house, but it's a crossfit place, and they don't have open gym time, just group classes. I'm not paying $130 a month to take classes from terrible weightlifters and not have access to the gym outside of class hours. I'd rather drive 1.5-2 hours to the next closest weightlifting club actually, but that isn't really an option since I work pretty much 7 days a week.

@ninearms I've watched those videos dozens of times and will probably watch them hundreds of times before I figure out what I'm doing. They are by far the most helpful videos I've seen anywhere. But, thanks for posting them.

7/10/2012
Squat
10xbar
2x5x95 lbs
5x135 lbs
3x185 lbs
5x205 lbs
2x5x215 lbs

Pull Ups
5x5 various different grips

Some abs and shoulder prehab and one set of tricep push downs :lol:
Mikhail Koklyaev wrote:Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
User avatar
Goob
Active Member
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:27 pm

Re: Goobs log

Postby baldy » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:48 am

Goob wrote:I've never hated crossfit more than I do while trying to find weightlifting coaches/clubs. There is a registered weightlifting club ~15 miles from my house, but it's a crossfit place, and they don't have open gym time, just group classes. I'm not paying $130 a month to take classes from terrible weightlifters and not have access to the gym outside of class hours.

Such emo vibes man! Not fair to say that all crossfit guys are terrible weightlifters, we all like to hate on them BUT some of them have good technique. No reason a decent crossfit coach couldn't teach you the lifts.

My take on this stuff is to make the most of the stuff you do have access to rather than dwelling on what is not available. When I was in Ireland, the gym situation was bleak, however I trained at a BB gym made some buddies, learnt stuff off them and found a few other powerlifting people to train with once a week. In weight lifting you can leant stuff off everyone, just be open to it.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
User avatar
baldy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7293
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 10:23 am
Location: St Albans UK

Re: Goobs log

Postby ninearms » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:39 am

Just for you:

Image

RIP Beastmodaldomains
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
User avatar
ninearms
Perked Member
 
Posts: 6041
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:07 pm
Location: Leicester, UK

Re: Goobs log

Postby Goob » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:09 am

baldy wrote:
Goob wrote:I've never hated crossfit more than I do while trying to find weightlifting coaches/clubs. There is a registered weightlifting club ~15 miles from my house, but it's a crossfit place, and they don't have open gym time, just group classes. I'm not paying $130 a month to take classes from terrible weightlifters and not have access to the gym outside of class hours.

Such emo vibes man! Not fair to say that all crossfit guys are terrible weightlifters, we all like to hate on them BUT some of them have good technique. No reason a decent crossfit coach couldn't teach you the lifts.

My take on this stuff is to make the most of the stuff you do have access to rather than dwelling on what is not available. When I was in Ireland, the gym situation was bleak, however I trained at a BB gym made some buddies, learnt stuff off them and found a few other powerlifting people to train with once a week. In weight lifting you can leant stuff off everyone, just be open to it.


I agree, some crossfit people are decent weightlifters, but that is not very many. Still, if there were actually weightlifting classes and open gym time, I would pay the $130 a month membership. But, there aren't weightlifting classes and there is no open gym time. So, I would have to do crossfit, not weightlifting, to learn to snatch and clean and jerk. I'm not even slightly interested in that. Crossfit places aren't like gyms, you don't get to do what you want, you do what they tell you.

Is there video of that guy snatching with the baby? I'd like to see how he did that :lol:

7/11/2012

Messing around with snatching a crappy 35 lbs "weightlifting" bar, it's the only straight one except for the 31mm bar

Cleans not so bad really, but not quite good
2x3x35 lbs
3x55 lbs from the knees
3x85 lbs floor
5x1x105 lbs floor
front squat last rep for 5

Front Squat
5x125 lbs
5x145 lbs
4x5x155lbs

quads PUMPED and upper back completely fried 8)

and an update of how skinny I still am :lol:

Image


Image

The red glasses are prescription, I broke my regular ones a while back and haven't got around to getting new ones yet, so I where those all the time. Also, the second one has just terrible lighting but I'm putting it anyway :P

Edit: I can't get the second one to go the right way either :lol:
Edit again: bodyweight 180 lbs (~81.8 kg) this morning :shock:
Mikhail Koklyaev wrote:Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
User avatar
Goob
Active Member
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:27 pm

Re: Goobs log

Postby Goob » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:53 pm

7/12/2012
Bench
10xbar
5x75 lbs
5x95 lbs
5x115 lbs felt heavy
3x135 lbs - one side felt heavier than the other :?
Fx135 lbs - after checking that I hadn't misloaded
3x5x115 lbs close grip

Squat
10xbar
10x95 lbs
5x135 lbs
5x185 lbs video of this :mrgreen:
5x205 lbs
5x225 lbs kind of ugly, but video of this as well

exhausted after that last one and redbull coming up a bit :mrgreen:

and youtube is being a dick, so have to use photobucket, no idea how to embed those videos though, so click the blurry picture if you want to see :lol:

Image

Image

Is that low bar or high bar :lol: ? And what do I need to fix?
Mikhail Koklyaev wrote:Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
User avatar
Goob
Active Member
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:27 pm

Re: Goobs log

Postby Adena » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:16 pm

Goob wrote:
and an update of how skinny I still am :lol:

Image


Image

The red glasses are prescription, I broke my regular ones a while back and haven't got around to getting new ones yet, so I where those all the time. Also, the second one has just terrible lighting but I'm putting it anyway :P

Edit: I can't get the second one to go the right way either :lol:
Edit again: bodyweight 180 lbs (~81.8 kg) this morning :shock:


You don't look too skinny! I can only imagine how skinny you were before! :lol:
User avatar
Adena
Active Member
 
Posts: 458
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 7:57 pm
Location: Des Moines, IA USA

Re: Goobs log, Now with video!!!

Postby Goob » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:06 pm

Definitely too skinny :P

Electricity is out again, so posting from my phone. Some shit just explodes every month or so and my whole neighborhood will be without power for 3-24 hours while the electric company duct tapes some paperclips together to patch things up.

anyway, was exhausted today so pounded a redbull and went in for some quick front squats ^_^

10xbar
5x95 lbs
5x115 lbs
3x135 lbs
2x155 lbs
1x175 lbs
1x185 lbs
1x195 lbs PB
1x200 lbs Pb again

thought about going for 205 lbs for a bit then decided against it.

it's only been the last 2 sessions that the rack position isn't painful, just very uncomfortable. Hopefully that will lead to some good progress. Goal for the next couple months is 225 lbs frontie :)
Mikhail Koklyaev wrote:Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
User avatar
Goob
Active Member
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:27 pm

Re: Goobs log, Now with video!!!

Postby Goob » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:52 pm

I skipped lifting yesterday and slept till noon then ate hummus all day instead. I've been exhausted the past couple weeks, and decided since I can't take off work, I'll take it easy in the gym for a week.

Front Squat
10xbar
5x95 lbs
5x135 lbs
2x155 lbs
1x175 lbs
1x195 lbs
1x205 lbs PB :mrgreen:
Fx225 lbs was just going to unrack it and see how it felt, it was heavy, so decided to go for it :lol:

wont be long till I get 225 lbs

friday will be the next day in the gym probably, plan on just sleeping and eating a lot till then. Weight has plummeted to 175.8 lbs (~79.9 kg) and I think I saw an ab trying to sneak out :oops:
Mikhail Koklyaev wrote:Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
User avatar
Goob
Active Member
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:27 pm

Re: Goobs log, Now with video!!!

Postby Adena » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:10 pm

Goob wrote:
wont be long till I get 225 lbs

friday will be the next day in the gym probably, plan on just sleeping and eating a lot till then. Weight has plummeted to 175.8 lbs (~79.9 kg) and I think I saw an ab trying to sneak out :oops:


I'm sure you'll get 225 soon!

Now, none of that ab nonsense. Get thee massive quantities of hummus!
User avatar
Adena
Active Member
 
Posts: 458
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 7:57 pm
Location: Des Moines, IA USA

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest