Tennis

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Tennis

Postby TarekF » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:59 pm

Any other vegan tennis players out there?

Just watched the Wimbledon heartbreaker today (poor Murray :cry: ), so started to wonder if my dad and i are the only vegan tennis players!
"The best climber in the world is the one having the most fun"
Alex Lowe
TarekF

Re: Tennis

Postby Konstantin » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:42 pm

Not me, but I was in touch with this lady recently:http://www.greatveganathletes.com/vegan_athlete_vicki-cosio
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby xrodolfox » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:06 pm

Didn't Venus Williams just go vegan?
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby TarekF » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:06 am

Kind of, she says she's a vegan but cheats on the diet occasionally (with what i dont know but it doesn't really matter). However, it is better than nothing and if it gives a bit of publicity to the athletic viability of veganism, im okay with it (plus she doesn't pretend or hide the fact that she hasn't stuck 100% to veganism).

I think there was another vegetarian or vegan tennis player Navartilova but i think she occasionally ate fish or something.

For some reason it does seem like pros in other sports are going vegan a bit more than tennis, maybe its just my perception or something.

Also, not really relevant but Roger Federer was vegetarian from birth to 16 (or at least a young age)
"The best climber in the world is the one having the most fun"
Alex Lowe
TarekF

Postby ColleenE » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:58 am

Martina Navratilova has done interviews etc. where she puts forth a "plant-based diet" philosophy. Don't forget the famous Billie Jean King, also vegetarian. I've never heard that Martina eats fish, but she certainly doesn't play up that part.
ColleenE

Postby hardcore iv » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:43 am

I was once quite obsessed with tennis but stopped playing once I realised that the balls are made with wool and the amount of balls I was going through added up to lots of cruelty.

Navratilova is a total flip-flopper. Evidence that she was ever vegan is pretty slim and she stated in one of her recent books that she started eating meat again when she made her latest comeback. Tennis players are pretty backwards in regards to nutrition in general it seems.

Serena definitely isn't vegan http://www.ecorazzi.com/2012/07/03/serena-williams-wont-eat-meat-in-front-of-vegan-sister-venus/ despite the misinformation being spread by raw foodists on facebook.
"When you are born, you are set forth to die. The fact that you live or don't live between these two dates depends solely upon your own will, opportunities and desires. The weight exerciser, of course, indicates that he chooses to live." Joseph Curtis Hise
hardcore iv

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness