Brendan Brazier, Norris, Calcium, B12 And Misinformation

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Brendan Brazier, Norris, Calcium, B12 And Misinformation

Postby tal » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:03 pm

[quote="BlueRose"]We'll agree to disagree. :)

I wonder what topic we will disagree about tomorrow.

;)
tal

Postby BlueRose » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:05 pm

[quote="Talyn"][quote="BlueRose"]We'll agree to disagree. :)

I wonder what topic we will disagree about tomorrow.

;)

I disagree that we'll disagree! :lol:
rational romantic mystic cynical idealist.

Vegan Women's Bodybuilding & Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VeganWomenBodybuildingAndFitness/
Boston Vegan Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BostonVeganFitness/
BlueRose

Postby jpowell » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:14 pm

[quote="BlueRose"] I really do think that eating as much non-processed food as possible is healthier

I couldn't agree more.

[quote="BlueRose"]
they've been drinking too much of something in their juices, I know not what.

Possibly a miracle tropical grass juice extract that can reverse the cancers we have developed by eating too many processed sugar products ;-)
jpowell

Postby beforewisdom » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:41 pm

[quote="BlueRose"][quote="beforewisdom"][quote="BlueRose"]
Are people skeptical of him because he has products to sell, or because they think he's misrepresenting the vegan movement?

Speaking for myself, neither.

I am skeptical of his claims

1. because he does not give references to research that people can use to look up to see if what he says is true has been
proven as true.

2. he has published elementary nutrition information on his web site that is flat out wrong

My own opinion is that he is getting a lot of slack from vegans because they see him as one of their own. If he was into the paleo diet and his claims were of the same quality the same people would be roasting him.

Fair enough. Would you mind giving examples of each?

I already did in another thread I made about Jack Norris's blog post about Brazier. I gave you that link in another thread.
beforewisdom

Postby BlueRose » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:05 am

[quote="beforewisdom"][quote="BlueRose"]Fair enough. Would you mind giving examples of each?

I already did in another thread I made about Jack Norris's blog post about Brazier. I gave you that link in another thread.

Sorry, I missed it. :( Which thread?

Vegan Women's Bodybuilding & Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VeganWomenBodybuildingAndFitness/
BlueRose

Postby beforewisdom » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:42 am

Go to the first post in this one, click on the link to Jack Norris RDs blog and read what he had to say.
beforewisdom

Postby vCLaW » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:38 am

And read the comments on Norris' blog, which point out that the stuff about calcium is based on dubious figures.

And I note Norris has now edited his blog, so now it doesn't refer to Brendan Brazier.
vCLaW

Postby beforewisdom » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:41 pm

[quote="vCLaW"]And read the comments on Norris' blog, which point out that the stuff about calcium is based on dubious figures.

And I note Norris has now edited his blog, so now it doesn't refer to Brendan Brazier.

I'm a big fan of Jack Norris. I read all of his stuff that I can. He has the education, he has the credentials, he keeps up on all of the latest research, he cares people, he cares about animals and he donates a large amount of his time bringing what he has learned to people.

I have the impression from reading his stuff that his strong preference is to deal with people in a positive way. I endorse that view. Being negative doesn't win new vegans, doesn't win old vegans back, doesn't help the animals and doesn't help the planet. His attitude is a good influence on a community that tends to run high in contrarians that all too often eat their own.

I also believe that it always progressive for the truth to be known. I also believe that no matter how kind you are, how right you are, how gentle you are there are going to be people that will hate on you for you telling the truth even if they know they are wrong and standing in the way of something better. My choice is usually to be as un-personal as I can and to tell the truth. If people have a problem with that, it is then their problem.

Though I disagree with him editing that stuff out, I can understand doing it and in his position I would have thought of doing it myself.

I'm still a fan.
beforewisdom

Postby BlueRose » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:06 pm

[quote="beforewisdom"]Go to the first post in this one, click on the link to Jack Norris RDs blog and read what he had to say.

Thanks! 8)

BlueRose

Postby BlueRose » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:10 pm

Okay, read the article.

I'm curious to know when the article put up by Vega was published. The Thrive books have been out for a while and I know advances in nutritional science have occurred since then. This is a LOT of benefit out of the doubt giving, I know, but it's pretty likely.

BlueRose

Postby vCLaW » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:14 pm

Was that page actually written by Brendan Brazier? Has he been informed that it is incorrect?
Does he have any control over that website, and is he able to edit it?
vCLaW

Postby BlueRose » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:25 pm

[quote="vCLaW"]Was that page actually written by Brendan Brazier? Has he been informed that it is incorrect?

+1

It's an excellent question and worth asking.

BlueRose

Postby beforewisdom » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:09 pm

[quote="vCLaW"]Was that page actually written by Brendan Brazier? Has he been informed that it is incorrect?

In the original version of Jack Norris' blog post he wrote that he contacted the site about the spurious vegan nutrition information on it but got no response.
beforewisdom

Postby beforewisdom » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:12 pm

[quote="BlueRose"]Okay, read the article.

I'm curious to know when the article put up by Vega was published. The Thrive books have been out for a while and I know advances in nutritional science have occurred since then.

That fact that argula and other lettuce has very little calcium in them has been known forever. There are scads of easy to use sites and google for finding that out, all free. As far as the algae and seaweed being a bad choice for b-12 since they very little if any, and that they have b-12 analouges which look like b-12 but mess up b-12 absorption, that has knowledge has been around for years. I remember reading it myself in popular nutrition books back in the mid 90s.
beforewisdom

Postby vCLaW » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:25 pm

[quote="beforewisdom"]That fact that argula and other lettuce has very little calcium in them has been known forever. There are scads of easy to use sites and google for finding that out, all free.

Arugula has 160 mg of calcium per 100g. So twice as much as kale, or 4 times as much as broccoli.
vCLaW

PreviousNext

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating