Shakeology... Anyone know?

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Shakeology... Anyone know?

Postby NeoEvaX » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:42 am

I just read that they are going to start selling a vegan chocolate Shakeology shake. (they have a vegan strawberry one now).

My bootcamp instructor is a Beach Body coach, so I know he gets a portion of the money if he sells a Shakeology package. And all the searching online seems to lead to other coaches trying to hype up the product so they an sell more. Its a bit of a pyramid scheme.

I would love to know what a non beach body coach thinks. Is it really worth the cost? Are all those nutrition added in there, really worth it?

Currently I have a shake similar to something like this:
Fortified Trader Joes Soy milk
Sun Warrior chocolate Rice protein powder (vegan)
1-2 Dates
Kale
Spinach
Frozen blueberries
Chia
Wheat Germ
Flax Seed Oil

Anyway, anyone got a honest review of the stuff?

A bit about myself:
A bit over weight
I have low bone density from all the asthma medicine I had a child. (just found out my spine has Osteoporosis at 27)
I take B12, Calcium, and D supplements.
I eat pretty healthy vegan otherwise. Though I have a bit of a problem with sweets (I am really working on this).
NeoEvaX

Re: Shakeology... Anyone know?

Postby xJimx » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:09 pm

Looks like a load of old bollocks if you ask me. Save your money.
DYEL
xJimx

Postby NeoEvaX » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:18 pm

Yeah, it looks that way too. Just curious if anyone has actually tried it.

I am going to try to swing some free samples, but I don't think I am up for fronting that much money to buy the whole thing.
NeoEvaX

Postby BlueRose » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:56 pm

I'm a Beachbody coach and can tell you honestly it's NOT a pyramid thing. A pyramid thing is when you spend lots of money and have no product. I'm not required to buy a ton of crap like CDs and brochures and things like that. Beachbody also has an A+ rating with the BBB, so make of that what you will. :)

I too was skeptical with Shakeology but I know of people who have gotten amazing results with it, taken themselves off of meds, lost weight, improved digestive issues, etc. I finally was able to have it when they came out with the tropical strawberry, and I really love it.

Bottom line is this: don't knock something until you try it. They have a 30 day money back guarantee, if you try it and use it all up and give it your best shot and it doesn't work for you...they'll refund your money. It's not for everyone; people are sometimes allergic to the ingredients in certain flavors, etc, but I've found that it works for most.

Just try it. The only other product I know of that is a genuine competitor is Vega One, and that was formulated by a pro athlete. Nuff said.
rational romantic mystic cynical idealist.

Vegan Women's Bodybuilding & Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VeganWomenBodybuildingAndFitness/
Boston Vegan Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BostonVeganFitness/
BlueRose

Postby xJimx » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:29 pm

Don't get me wrong I'm sure that it works - basically this product helps people reduce their calorie intake so it's hardly a miracle that they lose weight when using it.

What I object to is the ridiculous price tag backed up by nonsense/pseudoscience about 'eliminating toxins' & 'experiencing vitality'. How you can objectively quantify & measure an increase in vitality?
DYEL
xJimx

Postby BlueRose » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:38 pm

[quote="xJimx"]Don't get me wrong I'm sure that it works - basically this product helps people reduce their calorie intake so it's hardly a miracle that they lose weight when using it.

No need to reduce calorie intake. A lot of the recipes I've seen are in the 300-500 calorie range and some use it as a snack versus a meal replacement. And losing weight isn't as simple as "calories in, calories out". It's about QUALITY calories.

[quote]
What I object to is the ridiculous price tag backed up by nonsense/pseudoscience about 'eliminating toxins' & 'experiencing vitality'. How you can objectively quantify & measure an increase in vitality?

Through careful studies. ;) Not pseudoscience! They actually have one right now that will be published, probably in the fall. I'll have more details on it then.

And as for a $4 price tag per serving...you spend more than that at Starbucks, I guarantee it. I'd rather pay more for my health than buy cheap. $0.99 for a Big Mac, not an indicator of how good THAT meal is....

Vegan Women's Bodybuilding & Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VeganWomenBodybuildingAndFitness/
BlueRose

Postby xJimx » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:45 pm

[quote="BlueRose"]And losing weight isn't as simple as "calories in, calories out".

Yes it is. In broad terms 'health' may be wider than calories in/out but weight is a black & white issue.

No matter how smart the folks at Shakeology are I'd say it's fairly safe to assume they've not found a way to circumvent the laws of thermodynamics.
DYEL
xJimx

Postby baldy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:52 pm

[quote="BlueRose"]
And as for a $4 price tag per serving......

Does not really address the question why the price is so high? From bulk protein powder website you can see the raw ingredients are very cheap.
Do these companies really spend that much money on research or is the high price just to build hype make money and pay for advertising?

From a vegan stand point I think these overly expensive vegan proteins, which are pushed as essential for your health, make it seem really hard and expensive to be vegan. Which is totally not the case!
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby BlueRose » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:55 pm

[quote="baldy"][quote="BlueRose"]
And as for a $4 price tag per serving......

Does not really address the question why the price is so high? From bulk protein powder website you can see the raw ingredients are very cheap.
Do these companies really spend that much money on research or is the high price just to build hype make money and pay for advertising?

From a vegan stand point I think these overly expensive vegan proteins, which are pushed as essential for your health, make it seem really hard and expensive to be vegan. Which is totally not the case!

Cause it's more than just protein, like Vegan One it's got pro and prebiotics, digestive enzymes, and various micronutrients.

I think it's worth it. YMMV. :)

BlueRose

Postby BlueRose » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:57 pm

[quote="xJimx"][quote="BlueRose"]And losing weight isn't as simple as "calories in, calories out".

Yes it is. In broad terms 'health' may be wider than calories in/out but weight is a black & white issue.

So uh...1500 calories of Devil Dogs, Ho Hos, and ice cream is the same as 1500 calories of fruits and veggies? :lol:

I don't think so! :wink:

[quote]No matter how smart the folks at Shakeology are I'd say it's fairly safe to assume they've not found a way to circumvent the laws of thermodynamics.

They know about nutrition. No, it's not black and white.

BlueRose

Postby tal » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:24 pm

[quote="BlueRose"]Just try it. The only other product I know of that is a genuine competitor is Vega One, and that was formulated by a pro athlete. Nuff said.

Being a pro athlete does not also include, or imply, a qualification in nutrition. Usually just a qualification in marketing.
tal

Postby BlueRose » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:31 pm

[quote="Talyn"][quote="BlueRose"]Just try it. The only other product I know of that is a genuine competitor is Vega One, and that was formulated by a pro athlete. Nuff said.

Being a pro athlete does not also include, or imply, a qualification in nutrition. Usually just a qualification in marketing.

I've noticed a general unhappiness as of late about Brendan Brazier, what is that about?

BlueRose

Postby tal » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:38 pm

[quote="BlueRose"]So uh...1500 calories of Devil Dogs, Ho Hos, and ice cream is the same as 1500 calories of fruits and veggies? :lol:

I don't think so! :wink:

[quote="BlueRose"]No, it's not black and white.

But in your example, you are looking at it as black & white. It's not all or nothing. One does not need to always eat their calories from all good foods or all 'junk' foods. Nor does this happen in reality.
tal

Postby beforewisdom » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:38 pm

Read the first post in in this thread. Additionally, many people have noticed that his books do not have references where people can easily look up and verify his claims with good sources.
beforewisdom

Postby tal » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:46 pm

[quote="BlueRose"]And losing weight isn't as simple as "calories in, calories out". It's about QUALITY calories.

Actually, this is not true. In terms of gaining or losing weight (properly, as in, losing fat, gaining muscle), you can eat WHATEVER type of calories you want provided you meet your required macronutrients (carb/pro/fat). Note: I say this in terms of body composition only.

In terms of sporting performance, that is another matter and food choices become more important.

Sorry BlueRose for all these posts, I'm not having a go at you personally!
tal

Next

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating