Amenorrhea?

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Amenorrhea?

Postby satt » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:16 am

I lost about 20 lbs these past few months--I know, drastic loss, I think it was from going vegan, but I'm at a health weight now, if at the lower end of the spectrum of healthy weight. However, I haven't had a period since last December, but it started happening before I lost the weight. I've been eating more now, more healthy fats and such (nuts, avocados, etc.), and it's been about a month. One thing I noticed is that I was cramping a bit last week, and this week I've been breaking out on my face (which doesn't usually happen unless I'm premenstrual).

My nutritionist said to perhaps cut back on my running--I run 4 miles nearly every day. I understand that I may have not been eating enough (unknowingly) for my activity levels. Now, I am, and I'm wondering if I need to cut back on running to regain my menstrual cycle, or if it will eventually come back as long as I'm eating enough?
satt

Re: Amenorrhea?

Postby Hiking Fox » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:25 am

Running every day is a bad idea, have some rest days.

Try 4 days a week, with 3 rest days, and see whether you feel better.

Also don't stress about healthy fats, it's fine to have some fried food as well, provided you have balance. All the members of our fell-running club snack on chips and curry and drink beer and they can run 40 miles over mountains in a race.
Hiking Fox

Postby Konstantin » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:58 am

Not a lot to add to the above really. There's a lot of 'general' dietary advice which may not apply to you, and may be less relevant to vegans. The Western world probably eats too much fat, that doesn't mean the average vegan does, and it doesn't mean you do. If you're at the lower end of the weight scale, eat more. I grind seeds and eat them with ground dried pineapple and/or soaked dates - loads of calories and protein and tastes good. Peanut butter is a common favourite, and there's some good bulking shakes. A lot of vegans are keen on coconut milk.

As for the running, IMHO maybe mix it up a bit with some rest days, cross training and different distances activities (eg intervals).
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby Linnéa76 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:44 am

Running 4 miles/day isn't that extreme, but if your problem is that your bodyfat percentage is too low,
it could obviously make it harder to put on some fat. Have you seen a gynecologist about this? If not
I think it's time you did, also to eliminate glandular disturbances or something else that should be treated.
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby ColleenE » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:57 am

The amount of running is not excessive at all--even if you're doing it 7 days a week that's only 28 miles. I think the problem was the quick and drastic weightloss, with your body still adjusting to that hormonally. Eating good fats and stabilizing your weight will probably result in a restoration of your cycle without cutting back on the running.
ColleenE

Postby lobsteriffic » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:39 am

[quote="ColleenE"]The amount of running is not excessive at all--even if you're doing it 7 days a week that's only 28 miles. I think the problem was the quick and drastic weightloss, with your body still adjusting to that hormonally. Eating good fats and stabilizing your weight will probably result in a restoration of your cycle without cutting back on the running.

Yeah I agree with this. That isn't an insane amount of running. I second the recommendation to just concentrate on eating some more calorie-dense food and stabilizing your weight.

(Caveat: I'm not an expert or anything)
lobsteriffic

Postby baldy » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:35 am

[quote="satt"]I run 4 miles nearly every day.

From a training point of view running the same distance presumably over the same route nearly every day is not going to improve your fitness.
If you look at a training plan you will see things like interval training, long runs, short runs, rest days, tempo days etc. These make training more fun and force your body to adapt which makes it stronger/faster.

What are your honest goals you would like to achieve from your running?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby satt » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:26 pm

[quote="baldy"][quote="satt"]I run 4 miles nearly every day.

From a training point of view running the same distance presumably over the same route nearly every day is not going to improve your fitness.
If you look at a training plan you will see things like interval training, long runs, short runs, rest days, tempo days etc. These make training more fun and force your body to adapt which makes it stronger/faster.

What are your honest goals you would like to achieve from your running?

Sorry for taking so long to answer..but really, I just like to run, and I find that taking a run is good for stress relief, and I'm not looking for much more than to keep my fitness where it is. I'd like to eventually do a half-marathon or a full marathon, but not until I'm out of high school--I don't have time to train for anything now. So, I'm not really looking to improve my fitness, but rather to keep it.
satt

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating