Brendan Brazier, Norris, Calcium, B12 And Misinformation

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Brendan Brazier, Norris, Calcium, B12 And Misinformation

Postby beforewisdom » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:32 pm

From the blog of Jack Norris, vegan Registered Dietitian(RD) and cofounder of Vegan Outreach:

http://jacknorrisrd.com/?p=3037

[quote]
An activist brought to my attention the article B12 Deficiencies in Vegans? Not True! at Flaming Vegan. I guess I’m naive about what vegans are saying about vitamin B12, but I was very surprised to read the article and the comments, and so I posted a response below it. It’s mostly about seaweed as a source of vitamin B12.

Another reader brought my attention to a page on vegan triathlete Brendan Brazier’s site, Lesson 2: [url=Lesson 2: High Net-Gain Nutrition]High Net-Gain Nutrition[/url]. On that page, he claims that miso is a source of vitamin B12. In fact, the two studies that have measured vitamin B12 in miso have found none.

Brazier also claims that chlorella is “the best source of B-12!” Two studies have found vitamin B12 analogues in batches of chlorella while one study found practically none. This could mean that the B12 analogues in the two studies that found it were there from contamination, which means it cannot be relied upon. More importantly, Chlorella has not been tested to see if it improves vitamin B12 status in humans. The track record of other seaweeds that were once considered a source of B12 has not been good, so there is reason to be skeptical of chlorella as well. Thus, chlorella is far from the best source of vitamin B12.

Citations for the miso and chlorella studies can be found in B12 in Tempeh, Seaweeds, Organic Produce, and Other Plant Foods.

As an aside, Brazier lists romaine lettuce and arugula as sources of calcium. According to the USDA, one cup of shredded romaine has only 15 mg of calcium, making it a poor source. One cup of arugula has 32 mg of calcium, making it a somewhat better source, but still not very good.

I sent Mr. Brazier a note through his contact form on May 5 in an attempt to alert him to these issues and did not get a response. As of today, this information is still on his website so I thought it was appropriate to let readers know they should not rely on this information and continue my attempt to spread the word to the vegan community about reliable sources of vitamin B12.

beforewisdom

Re: Brendan Brazier, Norris, Calcium, B12 And Misinformation

Postby tal » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:22 pm

This doesn't really surprise me.

I lost pretty much any respect I had for Brendan Brazier once he sold out to the supplement industry.
tal

Postby fredrikw » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:14 pm

[quote="Talyn"]This doesn't really surprise me.

+1

[quote]I lost pretty much any respect I had for Brendan Brazier once he sold out to the supplement industry.

Yeah, all the way from his first book it has always been about these exotic supplements that according to his books are essential to perform on a vegan diet. Talk about making veganism look harder than it is...

But apart from this, it's quite bad to have bad advice and not correcting it when pointed out.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby beforewisdom » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:10 pm

FWIW the USDA has free online nutrition database that makes it extremely easy to look up the nutrition content of a large variety of foods:

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/list
beforewisdom

Postby Fallen_Horse » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:39 pm

[quote="Talyn"]This doesn't really surprise me.

I lost pretty much any respect I had for Brendan Brazier once he sold out to the supplement industry.

Define "sold out." I don't see anything wrong with making a product that is useful to people. Sure, he overcharges like hell, but so does Apple! I think Vega is probably the best MRP out there today. Now, as far as Thrive goes, I think he definitely needs to work on his scientific claims, and he should specify which parts of his diet work well for him, and why they might not work as well for others....
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby alexander » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:33 am

This is very interesting, thanks for sharing this.
Always desire to learn something useful.

- Sophocles
alexander

Postby beforewisdom » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:39 am

[quote="Fallen_Horse"]
Sure, he overcharges like hell, ... I think he definitely needs to work on his scientific claims,

Fallen_Horse, you are a great guy. I don't think you will ever make it marketing though :)
beforewisdom

Postby Hiking Fox » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:46 am

[quote="Fallen_Horse"]Define "sold out."

When a formerly grass-roots activist or trend-setter loses their independence by becoming financially tied to a product or company.

e.g. When a much-respected anarchist band in the 1990s allowed one of their songs to be used in car adverts, and were accused of selling-out by the green activists who made up the bulk of their fans.
Hiking Fox

Postby beforewisdom » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:08 pm

[quote="Hiking Fox"][quote="Fallen_Horse"]Define "sold out."

When a formerly grass-roots activist or trend-setter loses their independence by becoming financially tied to a product or company.

e.g. When a much-respected anarchist band in the 1990s allowed one of their songs to be used in car adverts, and were accused of selling-out by the green activists who made up the bulk of their fans.

I was thinking of what "sold out" meant to me this morning. Your definition informed mine.

As far as I go I think of "sold out" as when a person as a result of a personal mission makes something really cool of a lot of value. The selling out part comes where they make and market other things riding on the name and kudos of the cool original thing, but the "sequels" don't hve nearly the same value or coolness....and they know it.
beforewisdom

Postby Fallen_Horse » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:21 pm

[quote="beforewisdom"][quote="Fallen_Horse"]
Sure, he overcharges like hell, ... I think he definitely needs to work on his scientific claims,

Fallen_Horse, you are a great guy. I don't think you will ever make it marketing though :)

Haha, hit me with a compliment, then shut me down with a dose of reality! Why isn't science sexy yet? :D
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby Hiking Fox » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:17 pm

Science is sexy when this fella does it:
Professor Brian Cox. pant... pant...
Hiking Fox

Postby alexander » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:06 am

Whose that man?
Always desire to learn something useful.

- Sophocles
alexander

Postby Fallen_Horse » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:30 am

British astrophysicist, Brian Cox. Pretty interesting to watch actually.
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby DB » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:23 pm

You have to read the whole blog at Flaming Vegan and the posts. It's pretty funny and pathetic at the same time. I especially like SnakeWitch's reply to the comment that she should amend her blog to include more accurate information.
DB

Postby Adena » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:33 pm

[quote="DB"]You have to read the whole blog at Flaming Vegan and the posts. It's pretty funny and pathetic at the same time. I especially like SnakeWitch's reply to the comment that she should amend her blog to include more accurate information.

:shock: Wow. I just found that blog and checked it out. She wants to air her opinion of how we can get B12 with no scientific research backing it up, apparently. Yikes. I can only hope people will check out Jack Norris' website in addition to blogs like The Flaming Vegan.
Adena

Next

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating