JP might build up to Finlands Strongest 105 in 2014

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: JP builds up to Finlands Strongest 105 in June 2012

Postby Mellos » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:02 pm

Good luck big guy!
Make us (especially the team ;) ) proud!
Current PBs:
195 kg SQ, 130 kg Bench, 245 kg DL, 200 kg SQ w/ wraps

Long Term Goals:
@ 75 kg: SQ - 252,5 kg, SQ w/ Wraps - 267,5 kg, DL - 307,5 kg, Total (w/ and w/o Wraps) - 710
@ 82,5 kg: SQ - 275 kg, SQ w/ Wraps - 277,5 kg, Total (w/ and w/o Wraps) - 772,5 kg

Team Insanity - The Laws of Physics are Merely a Suggestion
Mellos

Postby JP » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:09 am

ill post my comp report here too from power and strength just for posterity

Thanks folks :)

The feelings about the comp are a mixed bag. I was stronger than in the past, and I could feel it. At the same time the lack of strongman event training in the past two weeks was evident.

Basically I went all out on the first two events, as you should, but my body was not conditioned to take the punishment. In a weird way I underestimated my own sport, I did normal gym barbell training and tried to do some conditioning with light weights to get the blood and breathing going.

But strongman is a bit different. Its like getting ran over by a car on every event where you have to work full blast with near maximal weights for a long time. For this normal gym training or light conditioning is a poor substitute to actual strongman event training.

So quick run down of events. Weather was abysmal, but its the same to everyone so it makes no difference. In the running order I was last, 17th - so basically I went out last, and in the videos you see me going head to head with someone from the Open weight class, who also had an odd number of athletes.

1. Wheelbarrow carry & sandbag load.

Who knows about the weights but the estimates were that the wheelbarrow started at a bit over 200 and then you load two 120kg sandbags, of which would then increase the weight in hands maybe about 60kg (you had to place them in the middle of the wheelbarrow), and as such would be 350ish in the end i think. Its all just numbers, but I saw many really strong top guys fail to finish the distance, grip was giving out and it looked very hard.

but as I started it i thought it wasnt too bad, and I just plodded along, sandbags were easier than i thought and the carry was just really painful. End was VERY hard but I managed to finish the distance.

6th out of 17

2. powerstairs, 200kg blocks up 5 stairs.

In the practise I fist failed to load it at all, and then got a one gruelling rep. Thats pretty frightening just before the comp is about to start :) Again saw a lot of strong guys struggle a lot, and hardly anyone finished it. I thought to just pace myself and use the time wisely. The problem was not the weight, but the height of the block and the stairs. It was very hard to get it over the edge and in the end every rep i did cleared the edge with just like a millimetre!

7 steps, and shared 5th place i think.

3. Viking press

Then it went to shit. Every bit of my body was destroyed, biceps cramping, traps destroyed, legs gone. Familiar feeling for anyone in the game, but this time it was just sapping, and there was not much power left. Abymal result, 5 reps and shared place around 10-12 place, and dropped three positions to 9th because the points were so evenly matched (i think just three points to 6th, which would have been 3 more reps approx.)

the amount of old guys in the finals gave me some hope though to still have my year in the finals ;)

Thanks to all support messages online and in person!
JP
Site Admin

Postby JP » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:13 am

Yesterday had one of the hardest sessions in couple months.

Received a delivery of a container to the warehouse consisting of 18 530kg of mainly cast iron and bumber weight plates. Of course forklift truck took care of most, but containers are packed in such a way that you have to move the pallets inside the container nearer the edge for the truck to get them. And a lot of stuff is loose and fallen off during transit and has to be carried by hand.

Highlights included pulling 1500kg max effort on the pallet truck which was stuck, and having to dismantle two pallets of 25kg and 20kg plates packed in doubles (making it 50 and 40kg boxes) by hand.

AWESOME TRAINING :D whole body was fucked from the flat out two hours of work, no need for a gym.
JP
Site Admin

Postby JP » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:19 pm

Finally time to go to the gym!

Strict press, first rep power cleaned
5x40
5x40
3x70
1x80
1x85
5x80
3x80
3x80

Squats
5x70
3x120
1x150
wraps
3x180
3x200
3x200
10x180

Stiff leg with 120 a bit to stretch
JP
Site Admin

Postby JP » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:24 am

No, I haven't been able to train.

Yes, I have a comp this saturday.

Keine problem!
JP
Site Admin

Postby haisuli » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:58 pm

Good luck!

You stick with that "talentless need to train" ! :wink:
haisuli

Postby JP » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:58 am

Or "well rested" :)

Comp was great fun, just give of us in my category, all from different country, me, french, german, austrian, swiss.

Placed third, was first place going to last event but then it went balky and dropped two places, bogey :)

Won overhead, and shared first on 120 stone for reps. second on light conans, third on very light medley, and last on hercules hold which I had set badly.

great organisation, fantastic comp and great set of guys! Loved it!
JP
Site Admin

Postby haisuli » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:17 pm

Congrats, well done again! :P
haisuli

Postby bronco » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:38 pm

Hey, well done on the comp :) .
JP wrote:Spirulina is a badass crew, and they often just hang around in street corners looking to beat up proteins.

They oftenget confused by the fact that they are almost half protein themselves.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby JP » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:27 pm

The switzerland comp was great, i hope to go to theri next one too in september if i am allowed to enter :)

quick comp run if anyone is interested...

event 1: overhead medley, two reps with 100 log, two reps with 95 fixed axle, two reps with 60kg monster dumbell.

Numbers look light on paper, but it is six reps in total and you try to rush it too. Axle was pretty hard, thicked axle than normal and fixed wheel, beautiful piece of kit. I got all in 50something seconds and got the first place but just by couple of seconds.

Second event was my nemesis, the conans wheel. But as luck would have it, the loaders forgot to add weight from the first timers and it was quite light, so i didnt have my usual passing out problem. Second place with 4.5 revolutions, winner nailed 6 so he was out of reach.

Third event, 120kg stone over yoke for reps.

I was pretty slow, as in had strength but no speed, but then again, do i ever with stones? Nevertheless, 6 reps in 60 seconds and shared first with two other guys.

fourth was keg carry and car drag, but that was too light and we were all within couple seconds, i think i was third in this one.

First place going to the last event, so only one thing to do, and that is a major fuck up. Car hold for time, well, i had hardly any time as the right hand was set badly and it went to my fingers in the first second. last place and dropped to third :)

So that was couple weeks ago, since then i have not trained at all because being so busy at the warehouse. I have been lugging really fucking heavy stuff around the warehouse though, and its been hard and knackering in a different kind of way!

Today i built a squat rack to the warehouse, and will be back into the game now!

I know I will be too busy for proper sessions so The Plan is to sneak in quick ones more often, will aim for 6 out of 7 days, 45 mins each. lets see how that pans out. Feels awesome to be back to it and have a plan too, i have only trained couple times this month, and then the comp, dont think i have ever had this much time off training!

Today:

Power snatch
3x40
3x40
3x40
3x50
1x60
1x60
1x70
1x70
1x70
1x70
1x70
3x60
6x50

Squat
5x70
5x100
5x120
JP
Site Admin

Postby haisuli » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:34 pm

Good to see you training again! Nice rack, much more holes than our gym's rack has. Shouldn't be a problem to find correct height :lol:
haisuli

Postby JP » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:34 pm

i LOVE the rack man, will be spending a lot of time in there :D

Log push press
5x50
3x70
3x90
3x90
3x90

squat
3x70
3x120
3x140

pullups
all different grips, the squat cage pullup bar is awesome!
JP
Site Admin

Postby haisuli » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:45 pm

JP wrote:i LOVE the rack man, will be spending a lot of time in there :D

I understand your fetish :lol: I didn't noticed on first look that there's different options for grip. Good. Straight hammer grip can be done with plate levers on sides if there isn't such option in pullup bar?
haisuli

Postby Orkje » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:03 am

Awesome looking rack indeed! I hope to God there's one of those somewhere in my future :mrgreen:
Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, it's impossible to turn back. - Henry Rollins
Orkje

Postby JP » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:10 pm

Orkje wrote:Awesome looking rack indeed! I hope to God there's one of those somewhere in my future :mrgreen:

it should be in everyones future!

:)

LOVE MY RACK!

Haisuli, it has many grips indeed, parallel too, should take a photo of it.

Saturday was at a strongman comp in Neuruppin, during the power stairs the main loader mofo was working like a bastard and the power stairs weight blocks were too heavy for other spotters so went in to help.

About million reps later my hands were torn to shreds, bursted about 8 callouses. Might take a wee while before hands are good again, but it was a great workout :D

Sunday - nothing

monday, cant even call this training but it was all i had time for:

log strict press
5x50
5x70
3x80
3x80
5x80
8x70

MORE tomorrow!
JP
Site Admin