Leaf curd- protein alternative

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Leaf curd- protein alternative

Postby vegimator » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:46 pm

Like you were getting at, it's a great counterpoint to the argument that the best use of marginal lands is to graze animals on it for human consumption.

I also think this is potentially a great way to make a cheap protein supplement, especially if you don't have much cash or live somewhere remote that vegan powders are prohibitively expensive or unavailable. 7 pounds for 100 grams isn't cheap, but if you make it yourself with handpicked weeds, the cost is negligible. Even if you paid for the greens, it's still probably going to work out cheaper than something like vega or any other supplement with similar vitamins and omega 3s added.
vegimator

Postby veganoo » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:34 am

[quote="thestoatyone"] (p.s. £7 per 100 grams, bit pricey innit? Maybe that'll come own in time...)

Very pricey, but that's including postage and you can bet they make a loss on that price as the volumes are so low they probably use very 'manual' equipment. It took 20 minutes picking to gather enough nettle leaves for 100g of leafu and a further 90 minutes to make the curds for our article....you wouldn't do that for a living... (We have no connection with LeafCycle).
veganoo.net
@veganoo
veganoo

Postby thestoatyone » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:44 am

Yeah, fair do's, and I can see that the price will come down when they get more automated kit; economies of scale and all that.

One to watch maybe...
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

[quote="muchluv"]When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby alexander » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:37 am

Thanks for the links, and thank you for sharing this.
Always desire to learn something useful.

- Sophocles
alexander

Postby Hiking Fox » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:35 am

[quote="veganoo"](We have no connection with LeafCycle).

Veganoo, can you please note that the polite way to join VeganFitness is to post a thread saying hello in the "Introductions" section, then participate generally in the forum, rather than just in one thread about one specific subject.

Otherwise, there's a risk this place could get people with links to businesses posting just to promote things, to discuss particular products, or to troll repeatedly about one particular subject that they are obsessed with. That does tend to get people's backs up a lot.

I hope this request is taken in the polite and welcoming spirit that it is intended; I'm not trying to criticise you in any way.
Hiking Fox

Postby veganoo » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:42 pm

Hi Hiking Fox, sorry if the post came across that way. Veganoo isn't a business just a pro-vegan website (it does have adverts to offset the domain fees). We posted the link on leafu as there was a live discussion on the subject that coincided with a couple of articles we ran and we thought there would be interest in these (there was, judging by our logs).

With regard to the Intros forum, the veganoo username is not meant to be a personal one so we risk a post in there simply looking like another plug. Happy to try and play ball how you like though - nobody likes spam (although there was great vegan spam called Granose Bologna in the UK back in the nineties..sorry, off topic.)
veganoo.net
@veganoo
veganoo

Postby alexander » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:08 am

Thank you for the informations.

- Sophocles
alexander

Postby xrodolfox » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:19 am

This product interests me.
I would like to try it.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby Hiking Fox » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:08 pm

[quote="veganoo"]With regard to the Intros forum, the veganoo username is not meant to be a personal one so we risk a post in there simply looking like another plug.

Thanks for the clarification.
Hiking Fox

Postby alexander » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:31 am

I think this is really hard to do.

- Sophocles
alexander

Postby JP » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:56 am

[quote="alexander"]I think this is really
hard to do.

What is?
JP
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating