On the go.....

Share your tasty and/or healthy recipes here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

On the go.....

Postby livefit2012 » Sat May 19, 2012 3:45 pm

Any suggestions on on breakfast and lunch ideas some someone on the go. Im a truck driver and leave VERY early in the morning and work through lunch. Looking for ideas for super healthy meals.
livefit2012

Re: On the go.....

Postby Hiking Fox » Sat May 19, 2012 6:38 pm

Food on the go is tricky to get healthy, as junk food tends to be more portable. I don't get a proper meal break in work, so I tend to eat:

* Wraps or sandwiches that I prepare the night before, containing things like baked tofu with salad or stir-fried veg, or hummous with roast veg.

* Pasta salad from a tub

* Leftover stir-fry, eaten cold.

* Things dipped in tahini dip, or hummous

* Kale chips. No, seriously. Google "kale chips" They are the latest thing.
Hiking Fox

Postby livefit2012 » Sat May 19, 2012 11:09 pm

Cool, I love kale, so chips will rock.

Eating healthy on the go is a pain in the ass. Great ideas though, thanks!
livefit2012

Postby Raynak » Mon May 21, 2012 8:26 pm

My ideas might be pretty standard/obvious, but due to my work/study I have many days that I have to bring enough food for a whole day. Some of the things I eat most often:

- pre-weighted portions of nuts, and/or seeds, and/or dried fruits,
- whole grain crackers with some peanut- or nut butter, that I put in a small plastic container so it's just enough for 1 day so I can't over-eat :mrgreen: and because the original big glass jar is too heavy to carry around,
- raw vegetables like carrots, cucumber, bell peppers and cherry tomatoes, also great with some nut butter or bean dip,
- fruits,
- whole grain wraps, with a small plastic container of hummus or bean dip, and some extra beans or legumes, which I 'assemble' at lunch time,
- shaker with a scoop of protein powder, so I only have to add water (or other liquid if I have it with me),
- I also often make big batches in advance of home made protein bars and home made 'lara bars', which I keep in the fridge or freezer and are ready to grab when I need them.
Raynak

Postby mouche » Tue May 22, 2012 1:01 pm

Same sort of stuff as above for me.

I don't have a particularly hectic lifestyle but I can't afford to buy food out, and occasionally I have to travel to an appointment in the mornings before going to work, then on to the gym before coming back home usually about 12-14 hours later.

Breakfast is always porridge; if I'm going straight to work, I'll take a little container of oats with me and cook them in the microwave at the office; I keep cinnamon and a small container of peanut butter in my desk drawer and always have some fruit with me if I want to add it. If I'm not going straight to work, I put my oats with cinnamon in a container the night before, then in the morning as I get ready I microwave them and take my container of hot porridge and toppings with me on the train. Yes I get a few funny looks eating hot porridge on the train, especially if I have topped it with peanut butter, but it makes mornings much more bearable!

Lunch is always something made and divided into containers on a Sunday evening - I don't mind eating the same thing all week - usually a spicy mess of vegetables, some sort of grain, Tesco's own veggie mince or dry soy mince, and occasionally some beans. Last week saw a variation of sweet potato, tofu, spinach, barley in a coconut milk and madras curry sauce. If I feel the need I will grab a chunk of cucumber/some carrots/raw pepper too.

I bring small containers of protein with me and mix it in mugs during the day, and I keep a shaker at the gym (or can get the gym to blend it for me at the bar) for my post workout shake, because shakers are pretty bulky to carry around. If I am on the go all day I will just suck it up and bring a shaker with me.

Other snacks are
- fruit; usually a banana and an apple and the occasional tin of pineapple or small container of fresh pineapple
- nuts; I keep a small bag of almonds in my desk drawer but it's easy enough to carry around a little bag of nuts
- soy yoghurt; a little Alpro soy tub is quite satisfying and really doesn't take up much room or weigh much
- chocolate; slips in nicely in between a book and a diary

And that tends to do the trick!

Although I do have the advantage of a desk job (most of the time), I do carry around most of my food in quite a small backpack, including a litre bottle of water and my gym kit (luckily the bulky stuff lives at the gym). I also used to carry this amount with me plus an extra change of clothes when I used to run to work every morning.

The key things here are either to bring things in plastic bags so that as you eat them you can throw away the bag or at least scrunch it up nice and small, or to have reliable plastic containers so you don't get lids falling off and leakages! If you can use containers that fit within each other then you can save space when you empty them. Also, I find it so useful that things stack and squeeze quite nicely into my bag so they don't tip and spill or anything.

I hope that helps!
mouche

Postby alexander » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:45 am

I suggest pizza! or burger or pasta! they are all delicious.
Always desire to learn something useful.

- Sophocles
alexander

Return to Vegan Recipes