Marathon training...

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Marathon training...

Postby Password » Mon May 07, 2012 12:31 pm

Bonjour fellow vegans :)

So, I've finally decided to write about my running.. although I know I'm not half as good as any of you, I decided I will be pretty soon ha!

I run just under 5km every morning. I can go up to 6km if I'm alone... Running with my toddler in her pushchair is more tiring than one would have thought, especially when you have to push it through mud!

My big goal is to run a marathon. I would brag about it for years.

I'm also planning on buying a pair of those Vibrum Five Toe shoes in 2 months, and ultimately, would like to run barefoot, although i don't think the paths I take are secure enough for that yet!

Tomorow i'm planning on running 26 minutes straight, which will be a first. Will tell you how it went then!
"It might sound naive to suggest that wether you order a chicken patty or a veggie burger is a profoundly important decision. Then again, it certainly wound have sounded fantastic if in the 1950s you were told that where you sat in a restaurant or in a bus could begin to uproot racism..."
Eating animals, Jonathan Safran Foer
Password

Re: Marathon training...

Postby Raynak » Mon May 07, 2012 5:33 pm

A marathon has always been on my wishlist for 'someday', so I'm curious how the whole process from going from ~5k to 42.2k will go for you. Are you going to follow some sort of preparing-for-a-marathon running schedule?
Good luck with your goal!
Raynak

Postby Password » Thu May 17, 2012 12:49 pm

Well, I have my Vibrams, so I've had to give myself a break in my running, which put me in a fowl mood for a week :P!

I'm taking it slow, but am following a 'program' on my iPhone. Working towards 10k now, should be there in about 3 weeks I think... hope so!

Are you following a program, or do you prefer the freedom of just doing what you want?
"It might sound naive to suggest that wether you order a chicken patty or a veggie burger is a profoundly important decision. Then again, it certainly wound have sounded fantastic if in the 1950s you were told that where you sat in a restaurant or in a bus could begin to uproot racism..."
Password

Postby lobsteriffic » Thu May 17, 2012 4:30 pm

I'm running my first marathon at the end of July and I've been using Hal Higdon's beginner program. I chose it because A) it was free on the internet, and B) a LOT of people seem to have success with it for their first marathon. My main goal is to just get over the finish line in one piece, I don't really have a serious time goal, but I'd like to be under 4:30.
lobsteriffic

Postby Password » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:18 pm

Yep, 4 hours for a marathon is considered good.

I'm working towards 10km now :) .

I had a 10 day break off of running, and thought I would have to start right from the beginning again... actually I did 6 k, no problem at all!

The only inconvenience I see is that my daughter gets a bit bored in her pushchair... will pack in a few more books next time!

How's your training going?
Password

Return to Vegan Runners