Helmet Video Cameras

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Helmet Video Cameras

Postby _Andreas_ » Fri May 18, 2012 9:50 pm

Does anyone have experience with helmet cameras?

I'm thinking of potentially buying one, since I will be cycling a bit in Iceland this summer and wished I could have filmed some of the rides I did in Africa. Also I would want to use it for cycling in the Swiss mountains and hopefully skiing.

Here is some recent info I found on the higher range of the market. These are quite expensive, but I don't mind spending quite a bit of money if it is a reliable product with good picture quality.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/bike-blog/2012/mar/20/best-bike-helmet-cameras

Also, if you have one, what software do you use to edit films?

Thanks!
_Andreas_

Re: Helmet Video Cameras

Postby vCLaW » Fri May 18, 2012 11:32 pm

I've got a really old/cheap GoPro (not HD). It is rather low res, picture quality is not that great, so I'm thinking about getting a new one.

I'm looking at the GoPro HD Hero, its now about £170. I don't think its worth paying an extra £100 for the HD Hero 2, its not that much better (unless you really need professional quality).
I think a GoPro is best for on a bike, the mounts work well, they have loads of different types of mounts to try.

For software, if using Windows, then Windows Movie Maker is OK for basic stuff, pretty easy to use. I'm also now trying Sony Vegas, which seems rather good, though I've not done much with it yet.
Note you will need a pretty powerful PC with loads of RAM if you want to do much editing of HD video.
vCLaW

Postby _Andreas_ » Sun May 20, 2012 2:53 pm

Cheers for the reply

I was mostly interested in the gopro hero. You can see the difference between the 1 and 2 here,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1cXMa7yYe8 its not a massive difference, but not sure yet which one I will get.

Yeah my laptop is suffering a little because I use protools so much, so it will probably not be very happy if I start editing videos :D. Its got pretty good RAM though so it should survive for a little while.
_Andreas_

Postby skoptic » Sun May 20, 2012 3:05 pm

Was just checking my mates Contour Roam 1600 - looks very good. HD n' all
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby _Andreas_ » Sun May 20, 2012 6:09 pm

skoptic wrote:Was just checking my mates Contour Roam 1600 - looks very good. HD n' all

I heard that their holdings were more designed for board sports than cycling, but will also check it out.

vCLaW wrote:
For software, if using Windows, then Windows Movie Maker is OK for basic stuff, pretty easy to use. I'm also now trying Sony Vegas, which seems rather good, though I've not done much with it yet.

Cool, is Sony Vegas free software or did you pay for it? My laptop has windows movie, so I always have that to fall back on.
_Andreas_

Postby vCLaW » Sun May 20, 2012 8:38 pm

_Andreas_ wrote:
vCLaW wrote:For software, if using Windows, then Windows Movie Maker is OK for basic stuff, pretty easy to use. I'm also now trying Sony Vegas, which seems rather good, though I've not done much with it yet.

Cool, is Sony Vegas free software or did you pay for it? My laptop has windows movie, so I always have that to fall back on.

Not free, unless you download it from The Pirate Bay or similar... :wink:
You can buy the basic version (Sony Vegas Movie Studio) for about £20 or so.
vCLaW

Postby _Andreas_ » Thu May 24, 2012 6:50 pm

Ended up buying the Gopro HD Hero 2. Tried it out today and very happy with it. We just need to use it on a day with better weather.

Started using Windows Live Movie Maker and its a bit very basic, so I will probably upgrade soon.
_Andreas_

Return to Cycling Forum