Leaf curd- protein alternative

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby vegimator » Thu May 17, 2012 11:32 pm

http://eattheweeds.com/forum/index.php?topic=656.0

[quote]Leaf concentrate (l/c) is a nutritious food made by mechanically separating indigestible fiber and soluble anti-nutrients from the protein, vitamins, and minerals in fresh green leaves...The nutritional breakdown from the original work was that 20 grams of powder would provide 12 grams of protein. The amounts of vitamins and minerals (such as 440 mgs of calcium and 49 mg of iron) are impressive.

Sounds like a pain in the ass to make unless you have a juicer. You take your leaf juice, squirt it into boiling water and then skim off the resulting curd and dry it.

Still, it's probably a hell of a lot cheaper than vega or what have you and it contains plenty of high quality protein and loads of vitamins and minerals.
vegimator

Postby Catt Queen » Fri May 18, 2012 6:15 am

Think I'll stick with spirulina and pea protein.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
Catt Queen

Re: Leaf curd- protein alternative

Postby JP » Fri May 18, 2012 11:20 am

I think that is a great example of innovative approaches though, and these are needed for veganism to go forwards. Might be experimental now, but who knows after few years...
JP
Site Admin

Postby Hiking Fox » Sat May 19, 2012 12:19 pm

I tried this at a festival about 10 years ago and it was lovely. Tasted like thick broccoli and pea soup.
Hiking Fox

Postby Herbsman » Sat May 19, 2012 1:26 pm

[quote="Catt Queen"]Think I'll stick with spirulina and pea protein.

You know, that's really annoying. Can't you turn it off?

Leaf curd sounds like a great idea to me. I wonder if it will be available commercially, and cheap?

Sent from my Microsoft® Windows XP PRO™ (MCE 2005) Edition Desktop PC using Opera 11.51
Herbsman

Postby Hiking Fox » Sat May 19, 2012 6:17 pm

I got mine from these people:

http://leafcycle.co.uk/leafu.htm

I love the way they use nettles to make quality plant protein. Feeding the world with nettles really rocks as an idea.

Posted on TRACTOR BEAST Desktop PC running Suse Linux, with Mozilla Firefox.
Hiking Fox

Postby thestoatyone » Sun May 20, 2012 6:44 pm

Sounds a touch hippy-ish, but feeding the world from leftovers has some real-world appeal. Proper sci-fi stuff. Anyone know how much it costs?
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

[quote="muchluv"]When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby Catt Queen » Sun May 20, 2012 7:13 pm

[quote="Herbsman"][quote="Catt Queen"]Think I'll stick with spirulina and pea protein.

You know, that's really annoying. Can't you turn it off?

Leaf curd sounds like a great idea to me. I wonder if it will be available commercially, and cheap?

Sent from my Microsoft® Windows XP PRO™ (MCE 2005) Edition Desktop PC using Opera 11.51

I could, but considering how rarely I post from it, I really can't be bothered.
Catt Queen

Postby Fallen_Horse » Mon May 21, 2012 2:56 am

LEAF CURD!
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby Big Foot Marty » Tue May 22, 2012 1:00 am

do the same, with similar protein content and make green smoothies, nettles, purslane, collards, and other weeds and harvest

of course not that useful where powder is useful...but most other uses work.

nettles are an amazing weed
Former football player now a runner and new Vegan. Run several marathons and other races now trying to learn how to eat and thrive on Vegan diet. And run successfully for Fun... Blogs - http://veggierunnereating.blogspot.com/
Big Foot Marty

Postby veganoo » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:29 pm

[quote="Hiking Fox"]I got mine from these people:
http://leafcycle.co.uk/leafu.htm

Leafcycle don't really promote their leafu sales very well...the link to buy it is hidden away at the bottom of this page:
http://www.leafcycle.co.uk/eatgreens.htm
It costs 7 GBP for 100g (4oz) of dried leafu for mail order
They have a great nutrition table for leafu on that page though.

If you want to make your own, we have published a "how to make leafu" guide here:
http://www.plantfoods.org/demos/leafu/index.html

and if you want some leafu recipes / ideas for how to eat leafu, have a look at our "10 things to do with leafu" page:
http://www.veganoo.net/2012/06/10-things-you-can-do-with-leafu-leaf.html

veganoo.net
@veganoo
veganoo

Postby beforewisdom » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:16 pm

This is very interesting from a "look what they/we can do" perspective ( thanks for post vegimator! ), but I don't see the practical point of it. Twelve grams of protein isn't that much. A cup of cooked beans will give you more. A calcium citrate supplement or one of the many vegan fortified foods would also give you about as much calcium.

I thought of the overpopulated world aspect to it like someone else mentioned. I'm guessing many sci-fi authors were never into eating things other than standard western diets. Why would an overpopulated world eat texturized yeast, texturized mushrooms, soylent green ( the processed seaweed variety ) when they could just grow beans and grains.

Processing leaves that people can't eat ( tree leaves ) or can't significant amounts of ( spinach, etc ) seems like it would be a solution for a very desperate world with loads of people and a lot of agricultural land destroyed.

Who knows, we may get there 7 billion people and growing, global climate change, soil erosion and pollution.

Ugh! Sorry. It is Friday, have a good weekend everyone.

Thanks for the interesting heads up vegimator!
beforewisdom

Postby beforewisdom » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:18 pm

[quote="JP"]I think that is a great example of innovative approaches though, and these are needed for veganism to go forwards. Might be experimental now, but who knows after few years...

I have a number of vegan friends who would say the opposite, that convincing more people to go vegan is made harder by the mistaken notion people have that vegans have to eat leaves and twigs.
beforewisdom

Postby veganoo » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:57 pm

[quote="beforewisdom"]
convincing more people to go vegan is made harder by the mistaken notion people have that vegans have to eat leaves and twigs.

Vegans don't need to eat leafu any more than they need to eat spirulina, but it's just another food option that happens to have a good nutritional profile. If you bought it as a stock cube you wouldn't perceive it as a crank food any more. By the time your friends see it on sale, that's probably how they'll see it.
veganoo.net
@veganoo
veganoo

Postby thestoatyone » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:32 pm

[quote="veganoo"][quote="beforewisdom"]
convincing more people to go vegan is made harder by the mistaken notion people have that vegans have to eat leaves and twigs.

Vegans don't need to eat leafu any more than they need to eat spirulina, but it's just another food option that happens to have a good nutritional profile. If you bought it as a stock cube you wouldn't perceive it as a crank food any more. By the time your friends see it on sale, that's probably how they'll see it.

I can easily see both sides of this; on the one hand I do my bit to reassure people that veganism is easy by stuffing my face with biscuits, homemade cake, decent packed lunches etc. On the other hand, this stuff can be made from nettles; Those things grow in enormous quantities on some of the worst and most marginal land. If anything is a sustainable foodstuff it's them. (p.s. £7 per 100 grams, bit pricey innit? Maybe that'll come own in time...)
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

[quote="muchluv"]When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Next

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating