Whole Food Diet

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Whole Food Diet

Postby Macfresh » Sat May 12, 2012 3:25 pm

Please note,

I know how to make muscle.

Using resourses I can workout the amount of macro nutrients and micro nutrients I need to be eating to do this and the foods I can get them from.

Now...

What I want to know, going back to the original question, or the ammendment of that question is if anyone on this forum has followed the type of diet I have outlined and put on a significant amount of muscle. Once I have established this maybe I could learn things from them like how they coped with the sheer bulk of this type of diet and if they had any issues with being tired after their meals and how they overcame that.
Macfresh

Postby tal » Sat May 12, 2012 4:01 pm

I don't see any reason why you would cut out entire food groups unless you have an allergy or intolerance to them.

If you can't get in enough food based on your current setup, you are just going to have to expand your food choices.

On a side note: how much fat do you consume per day with no oils, nuts, olives or avocado in your diet?
tal

Postby Macfresh » Sat May 12, 2012 4:25 pm

At the moment I am consuming about a 1.5 tablespoons of ground flaxseed.
Macfresh

Postby tal » Sat May 12, 2012 5:06 pm

[quote="Macfresh"]At the moment I am consuming about a 1.5 tablespoons of ground flaxseed.

And you think that is a sufficient daily intake of fats?

Note that earlier you said:

[quote="macfresh"]Using resourses I can workout the amount of macro nutrients and micro nutrients I need to be eating to do this and the foods I can get them from.

What resources?
tal

Postby Macfresh » Sat May 12, 2012 5:31 pm

I never claimed to think anything, but that is what I eat in terms of fatty foods at the moment.
Macfresh

Postby tal » Sat May 12, 2012 5:49 pm

I know, I was just trying to suggest that the approach you are taking is perhaps not the best one.

So looking for examples out there of other people who follow the same approach is the wrong kind of validation.

If some foods make you feel bad then no one is going to recommend you eat them, but if you're struggling to get enough calories (you say you are) then you should look at including foods that may not be 'whole foods', for example processed foods, in order to assist in meeting your daily calorie and macro-nutrient requirements.
tal

Postby Fallen_Horse » Sun May 13, 2012 4:45 am

[quote="Macfresh"]At the moment I am consuming about a 1.5 tablespoons of ground flaxseed.

Talyn has some good points here. You are asking a question like, "I want to get big, but I only want to eat leaves. Is this possible?"

If the whole foods you like are too filling to get you enough calories, and the whole foods that will get you calories are the ones you don't like, and you want to stick to a whole food diet, then you simply might not be able to add mass. But that is a choice you are actively making, and it is a fine choice. You simply have to analyze your overall goals for your life and your nutrition and your fitness, and see which priority fits you the most. If you really would like to stick with your current diet, then work on accepting how much muscle you currently have, and being happy with your body. If you really want to add muscle, then work on finding new, perhaps calorie-dense, foods that you can add weight with, 'whole food' or otherwise. It's up to you! :)

PS - That is not nearly enough fat intake, whether you are trying to add mass or not. Plus, you will end up needing more omega-6 in your diet if you only consume flax.... :/
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby Macfresh » Sun May 13, 2012 8:49 am

Thank you for telling me what question I was trying to ask.
Macfresh

Postby xrodolfox » Sun May 13, 2012 9:01 am

Macfresh, what are your goals? How "big" or how much muscle do you want to put on?
That'll more easily allow folks to answer if it is possible.

One person -Blinky- has already said they did your diet and gained muscle. Is that what you were looking for?
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby Catt Queen » Sun May 13, 2012 10:21 am

Macfresh - there are some very knowledgeable people here and if you take the time to talk and listen properly then you will learn a lot. That said, you are coming across as someone who is not willing to take any advice or make any changes in the way they're doing things, but simply want someone to validate your current habits and assure you that it will all work out in the end. I very much doubt anyone on here will respond to you in that way as I doubt anyone here is the kind of person to say what they think someone else wants to hear.
Catt Queen

Postby blinki » Sun May 13, 2012 10:26 am

It's not that hard to force yourself to eat some fats even when you don't like them really. I've been making more of an effort to do it recently. For all I'd like my diet to be all stuff I like all the time a few nuts isn't that much of a sacrifice for getting a sort of healthy amount of fat. I try it get myself to eat about 30g mixed nuts a day. I couldn't eat them in one sitting so I either take them to work with me or leave them out in the kitchen and pick at them all day- that way it doesn't feel like forcing myself to eat something. It's only like 15-20 nuts, 170 calories and 15g fat but it's better than hardly any fat
blinki

Postby rattus » Tue May 15, 2012 7:49 am

This is an early contender for the “Dadaist thread of the week” award.
rattus

Postby thestoatyone » Tue May 15, 2012 9:04 pm

Even Mal Reynolds is drawing a blank on this one...
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

[quote="muchluv"]When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Previous

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating