My 24hr solo xc race tips..

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

My 24hr solo xc race tips..

Postby ha » Wed May 09, 2012 1:45 am

Ive won 2, finished 8 24hr solo xc races. (all as a vegan)

Ive riden PBP in 51:30 (unsupported)

Here are my 24hr solo xc tips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NCn7qUJKDE

Post your tips too.
raw vegan banana case that has cycled over 190 000km cycled as a vegan.

y - youtube.com/durianriders
f - facebook.com/durianrider
t - twitter.com/durianryder
b - durianrider.org
w - 30bananasaday.com

Drink up, carb up, sleep up... cos everyday is the day to live it up!
ha

Re: My 24hr solo xc race tips..

Postby Alistar » Fri May 11, 2012 1:25 am

Thanks for that Ha. Had some great advice in there. We've got quite a few 12hr events in NZ but only a couple of 24hr events, and no ones in the Sth Island where I live. I've done lots of team events, but no solo. Would like to start off in a 6hr solo which will still be quite challenging for me anyway, even though sounds pretty pathetic compared to a 24hr. Thats the trouble with reading numbers on the internet. A 6hr race is tough on the body if you're not used to endurance riding (I've seen some solo guys in a really bad state during even a 6hr- actually 1 died and another couple had heart attacks in the event I did last yr :shock: ). A 12hr is really tough, and a 24hr is hardcore!

Looking at the results, hardly anyone paces themselves. Most go mental in the 1st few laps, crash badly at about the 3rd to 6th 10km lap then either yo-yo for the rest, or just hang on to the finish about 5mins+ down per lap. I know I'd struggle to keep my ego in check on those 1st few laps...
Alistar

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Fri May 11, 2012 9:15 pm

I've had a 24hr on my radar for quite a while, but still have yet to do one. Are there any even on now Al? Maybe we should consider doing one on a team sometime in the not-too-distant future Al?
Mr. Cleetus

Postby Alistar » Sun May 13, 2012 10:29 am

Sounds good Mr C. Just a matter of logistics I suppose.

I thought there were a couple in the Nth Island but the only 24hr still going is the "Moonride" in Rotorua. Actually they just had it this weekend. Reading some reports didn't sound much fun IMO unless you like bog running due to a new track and recent rain turning it into a mud bath. Some reckoned they spent a 1/3rd of each lap running through mud! :shock: Can't imagine doing that for 24hrs!
Alistar

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Sun May 13, 2012 9:27 pm

[quote="Alistar"]Sounds good Mr C. Just a matter of logistics I suppose.

I thought there were a couple in the Nth Island but the only 24hr still going is the "Moonride" in Rotorua. Actually they just had it this weekend. Reading some reports didn't sound much fun IMO unless you like bog running due to a new track and recent rain turning it into a mud bath. Some reckoned they spent a 1/3rd of each lap running through mud! :shock: Can't imagine doing that for 24hrs!

Yeah, I read about that right after I posted the above. I think the moonride is known for that, eh? I'd be keen to starting looking well into the future and see what we could sort out.
Mr. Cleetus

Return to Cycling Forum