400+ grams of protein experiment

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

400+ grams of protein experiment

Postby JP » Fri May 04, 2012 9:49 am

inspired by local vegan beefcake, thought of upping my protein intake to 400+ per day for this month.

Will this give me anything but more farting?

note: my protein intake has always been over 200 anyway, maybe 300 on some days, so its not a huge jump.
JP
Site Admin

Re: 400+ grams of protein experiment

Postby baldy » Fri May 04, 2012 10:27 am

Do it for a month, will be interesting to see. How do you plan to get these extra 200g of protein, nail loads of shakes?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby JP » Fri May 04, 2012 10:36 am

my normal shake used to be pea protein, hemp protein and soy milk.

now my stocks are running low so just nail a soya protein shake in water, but make it 60 grams of protein per pop.

Also meaty things like seitan, tempeh etc seems cheaper there so am nailing them liberally.

need to write this all down actually :)
JP
Site Admin

Postby tal » Fri May 04, 2012 11:01 am

Worth a shot, worse case scenario is that nothing changes.

You're going to get sick of protein shakes though! Although you do live in processed-vegan-meat heaven...

I've recently upped my protein intake from around 170-180 per day to around 220-230 per day. Not sure if there is going to be a difference but who knows!
tal

Postby baldy » Fri May 04, 2012 11:12 am

I am scared to even think about how little protein I consume in comparison. When I was having three 30g protein shakes a day I was making good progress but hated the shakes.
Maybe this is the inspiration I need to get back on the protein shake wagon.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby JP » Fri May 04, 2012 11:33 am

[quote="baldy"]I am scared to even think about how little protein I consume in comparison. When I was having three 30g protein shakes a day I was making good progress but hated the shakes.

one scoop has 20g, three of them go nicely in a standard size shaker, and you can down it in one go - it really doesnt feel hard :)

In fact, will nail one more before heading to the gym for some squats!
JP
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Fri May 04, 2012 12:00 pm

[quote="JP"][quote="baldy"]I am scared to even think about how little protein I consume in comparison. When I was having three 30g protein shakes a day I was making good progress but hated the shakes.

one scoop has 20g, three of them go nicely in a standard size shaker, and you can down it in one go - it really doesnt feel hard :)

In fact, will nail one more before heading to the gym for some squats!

Psych! Will make one now also and then try not feel sick.
baldy
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Fri May 04, 2012 12:16 pm

I feel sick, it was like 500ml of thick yoghurt.
baldy
Site Admin

Postby sosso » Fri May 04, 2012 12:25 pm

Will be interesting to see how it goes.

There will always be people who will tell you that you don't need huge amounts of protein, but they're usually small and weak. I noticed a definite change once I upped my protein intake by having three shakes a day, each with two scoops and made with soy milk. Each would be 60g protein, plus three other meals, so I would usually get close to 300g a day. When I started doing this, I really noticed that I was getting bigger and stronger pretty quickly.

You will fart a lot.
sosso

Postby seasiren » Fri May 04, 2012 12:42 pm

I have heard really good things from people who go the higher protein route in regards to strength. They are getting in 2g per lb of BW.

So, I'm curious (here come all the questions):
What is your weight now?
Caloric intake?
Macros?
Will the caloric take change or are you just switching the macros up?

Looking forward to following!
seasiren

Postby JP » Fri May 04, 2012 1:20 pm

Baldy I am no culinary expert but... Add a bit more water? Mine is not thick at all.

Sosso, you are one if the official vf beef cakes, so your experience should count :)

seasiren,.spoken like a true bodybuilder :)

2 g per lb would be closer to 470 for me, auch...

I weigh between 105 and 110 now.

I eat about 5000 a day but no ideas about macro break down...

I think this will mean lower carb intake,.though very slightly since cutting soya milk use and other drinks in favour of the pure protein in water.

I would like to get a bit leaner too so might cut the intake slightly...
JP
Site Admin

Postby wannalift » Fri May 04, 2012 2:48 pm

I like it. I think you should also consider upping your fats as well. Just add shredded coconut to all of your shakes. Reducing the carbs would be to your benefit as well if you are try to bulk and shred at the same time. Also, TVP is your friend here.
Are you doing enough to be the best?
wannalift

Postby thestoatyone » Fri May 04, 2012 3:00 pm

Mmmm, I'm in the "Don't worry about protein" camp but then, I ain't exactly huge. Might keep an eye on this and see if it's worth looking into over next winter's bulk...
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

[quote="muchluv"]When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby JP » Fri May 04, 2012 4:05 pm

Wannalift I thought you would approve :) but I do need my carbs for strongman, and hopefully upping my condition training too.

Thing is too, I love carb foods the most... I can soldier through some tvp too if need be!

[quote="thestoatyone"]Mmmm, I'm in the "Don't worry about protein" camp but then, I ain't exactly huge. Might keep an eye on this and see if it's worth looking into over next winter's bulk...

I don't worry about protein either mate, thing is there are so many variables that how I feel after so month bears little relevance to if it was protein or some other factor. But its worth a try regardless!
JP
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Fri May 04, 2012 8:04 pm

[quote="JP"]Baldy I am no culinary expert but... Add a bit more water? Mine is not thick at all.

Aye, I found the problem. I weighed my scoop and it actually is a 35g job, so I nailed a 105g shake no wonder I felt sick.
baldy
Site Admin

Next

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating