Building up to Tough Mudder!

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: Building up to Sparring!

Postby NatB » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:08 am

S&C Class Tuesday. Ususal beasting from Jon who has a K1 fight Sunday. Stll not eating which is affecting energy levels. All food just turns my stomach ATM. Thankfully weight hasn't dropped below 54kg which is BMI 18.
NatB

Re: Building up to Tough Mudder!

Postby NatB » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:10 pm

Had a crappy week fuelled on a diet of coffee and red wine which put me in a bit of a fog. But feel a million times better for S&C class followed by boxing. Boxing was all technique and was fortunate enough to be pared with a 6ft cage fighter who could actually hit and hold pads so kept me on my toes! Really good session with lots of slips and ducks so got a good workout and worked on defence too. Feel great now and finally have an appetite! :)
NatB

Postby NatB » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:17 am

S&C class at gym. feeling motivated again! off to see some of the guys fight K1 and Muay Thai tonight which is always inspiring!
NatB

Postby Lordmuppet » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:59 am

hey so i have a lot of personal experience with stomach problems.

Two things have helped me. You are probably aware of these solutions but in case not

1) probiotic. I used to take a vegan yogurt but i suspect the amount of probiotic was tiny (they never listed the amount which is suspicious). So I started taking a vegan probiotic supplement called Tumbiotix which has helped. Can get for 7-10 pounds for a months supply online I think. OneClickPharmacy seems cheapest as for lot of things.

2) Peppermint Tea. You can get peppermint tablets too which are stronger but tea is fine for me.

3) Eating something plain like rice cakes, spread and hummus when the stomach gets bad and needs calming down. I usually combine this with peppermint tea.
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby NatB » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:09 pm

Oh cool thanks hun! Mine is stress related though. When im stressed i just dont eat but will def take this on board :)
NatB

Postby Lordmuppet » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:37 pm

NatB wrote:Oh cool thanks hun! Mine is stress related though. When im stressed i just dont eat but will def take this on board :)

another thing is having something small but sugary. For some people (me included) that kick starts appetite.
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby NatB » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:46 am

As an aside i have a Met Police fitness assessment today (to become a police officer). Will be interesting to see what their idea of "fitness" is! I have been informed by cop friends at my gym that the running test is so easy you could do it backwards and still pass!
NatB

Postby NatB » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:49 pm

So I passed the Met Police fitness test. Was an absolute breeze! Was jsut the bleep test (suhttle runs-more like jogs) plus a push pull test. Amazed one girl half my age failed the running test. Bit of a reflection of the average UK fitness level!
NatB

Postby NatB » Wed May 02, 2012 7:39 am

Morning boxing class. Very technical but also very phyiscal! Nothing like a heavy session smacking 7 types of shit out of the bags to set you up for the day :)
NatB

Postby Lordmuppet » Wed May 02, 2012 8:28 am

NatB wrote:So I passed the Met Police fitness test. Was an absolute breeze! Was jsut the bleep test (suhttle runs-more like jogs) plus a push pull test. Amazed one girl half my age failed the running test. Bit of a reflection of the average UK fitness level!

woot!
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby NatB » Fri May 04, 2012 6:50 pm

Have been fucking lazy the last two weeks skipping workouts, eating crap and drinking too much red wine and coffee.

Dragged myself to Tom's S&C Class this morning. Was a beasting but felt a million dollars after.

Warm up was jogging then sprints followed by 5 sets 10 squats 10 burpees 10 push ups 10 V Sits 10 Tricep dips with sprints between sets

Six station circuit x 3 times

The "rest" was 120 squats between circuits!

Followed by an ab session 120 crunches (varying types) then 2 minute plank

Off to climb Snowdon tomorrow!
NatB

Postby NatB » Tue May 08, 2012 7:15 am

Climbed two Snowdonia peaks on Sunday: Crib Goch which was mainly scrambling and was going to be our route on to Snowdon but the snow came in hard making a ridge walk pretty hairy so we backtracked all the way down and took the moderate path to Snowdon and back. All in all was 9 hours of hiking and scrambling. Quads have taken an absolute battering and in much need of deep tissue massage!
NatB

Postby gabrielxxx » Tue May 08, 2012 8:55 pm

Nice conditioning training, intense stuff.

And also tough mudder is one of my goals in life, hope to do it some day.

Great log!
gabrielxxx

Postby NatB » Sat May 12, 2012 7:30 am

Thanks! Well you are welcome to join the team in November in the UK (not sure where you are based?) :)
NatB

Postby NatB » Sat May 12, 2012 7:35 am

So after climbing 2 peaks in 1 day i was unable to walk let alone train! Managed a PT session in the gym Thursday specifically targeted to building up body strength and more weight based. Have a new routine which is:

Single leg squats (with TRX as the injured left knee is so much weaker)

Pidgeon pose leg raises (glutes) - a lot harder than it looks!

Hamstring curls on the TRX - my hammies are also very weak as thats where the graft came from for my knee op

Pullups - cant do full ones but my PT has a great way to build up which is jump up then let yourself down slowly 10 sets x3

Single arm row with dumbells

Push-ups normal and tricep

Abs

Aim is to be able to use monkey bars and pull myself under, along or up and over the obstacles in TM
NatB

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs