Dreams and macronutrients

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby Konstantin » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:56 am

About a year ago I was talking about dreams, and saying as I got older I had a lot less vivid ones. I reckoned it was months since I had one I actually remembered.

Recently I've had loads of dreams. Some really odd ones, and they're very clear in my head when I wake up. It's been impacting on my sleep too, because I've been feeling more tired and less energetic, despite getting my head down and not doing excessively more exercise. I'm not stressed of particularly worried about anything.

So what's changed? The only thing I can think of is my diet, especially my protein intake, which has probably gone from about 100g/day to 150-200g/day as I've changed to lifting.

Has anyone else had similar experiences
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Re: Dreams and macronutrients

Postby baldy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:01 am

Zinc maybe? Like in ZMA, always makes me dream.
Dreams are meant to be a good sign and indicate a deep sleep so weird that you are feeling tired, maybe just taking longer to wake up?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby HumanGazelle » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:25 am

Like you, I've noticed a trend away from dreaming as I've got older.

I guess the dreaming could be chemical or psychological, or a combination.

I think magnesium seems to give me vivid dreams and I've read as much elsewhere. I sometimes take a zinc/magnesium supplement in the late evening, as magnesium supposedly helps you with maintaining a deep sleep (it seems to work and hopefully that's not psychosomatic). When I do remember dreaming, and it's still pretty rare, it's usually after magnesium, sometimes after alcohol, sometimes after an event that was more profound or thought-provoking than usual.

As far as personal observation goes, unless you log your dream activity diligently, it is hard to be scientific about when it happens and doesn't, because the memory is so unreliable and often creates false, imagined connections between unrelated phenomenon. For example, it may be that if you are stressed you remember more vividly, rather than dream more vividly.

I have no idea if this is an old wives' tale, but loads of people say that if you are woken up mid-dream, you are more likely to remember it, and that we usually dream on and off, all night through, then just forget them instantly because we slept past the dream. If that is true, then it'd imply that the vivid dreaming is a symptom of your poor sleeping, not a cause.

Finally, I'm not suggesting you're stressed, but sometimes we can suffer from stress-related symptoms without actually feeling stressed. Which is to say that one can be stressed without realising it.
HumanGazelle

Postby Catt Queen » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:53 pm

ZMA rules if you want dreams.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
Catt Queen

Postby Konstantin » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:02 pm

I think zinc/mg might be the reason. I did try taking a supplement a while back but it made no noticeable difference. These days I eat a lot of seeds, so maybe I'm getting big doses. There's some points I didn't really consider - I agree that I may be stressed but noticing, stress takes a lot of different forms. And if I wake during a dream I remember it a lot better.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating