Vegan safety boots or shoes

New vegan products out there? Queries about products, ingredients, vegan supplements?

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Vegan safety boots or shoes

Postby JP » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:51 am

Anyone have recommendations, experiences on vegan safety shoes?

Was looking at these:
http://www.williamlennon.co.uk/footwear ... shoes.html
JP
Site Admin

Re: Vegan safety boots or shoes

Postby knackers » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:22 am

they look really good.

I got my last pair from vegan wares in melbourne, in regards to safety the last worksite I was on had bullshit specifications that were in place in regards to the approved boots they had on offer. And out of their list of 'approved' boots not one was free of leather.

It can be quite a shit storm depending on what company you are with.

I have found if you don't want to go through the channels and get vegan boots approved and tested, or have to make your stand and explain your ethics argument and what not, especially on a safety conscious worksite, the other option is to just see what approved boots the others have and get vegan ones that look similar, depends on how stringent they are. I have been on some shit work sites and hope yours isn't this ridiculous..
“Animals do have a voice. If you ignore their suffering, I will remind you of it. If you don't understand them, I will translate. If you don't hear them, I will be their voice. You may silence them but you cannot silence me as long as I live.” ~ Anita Mahdessian (C
knackers

Postby JP » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:19 am

Mine is ridiculous, but in a different way :)

I am setting up strength shop europe, and will run the place. Might make only the vegan boots approved ones... ;)
JP
Site Admin

Postby NatB » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:51 am

I have Vegan Wares steel capped site boots http://www.veganwares.com/stctrent.htm

Which I bought in Melbourne about 5 years ago and have worn extensively there and here on sites in the UK (including the Olympic Village) and no one has questioned them. They have taken a punishment too with regular encounters with london mud and wet concrete and are still in amazing condition!

I love them and cannot recommend them highly enough!
NatB

Postby vCLaW » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:12 pm

Veganline have a few styles of safety boots/shoes. They say they have an "EU safety certificate".
http://www.veganline.com/safety-boot.htm
http://www.veganline.com/safety-shoe.htm
http://www.veganline.com/hospital-shoe.htm

Not tried the safety boots myself, but got another pair of boots from Veganline that I like.
vCLaW

Postby Gastroplodder » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:39 pm

JP wrote:Anyone have recommendations, experiences on vegan safety shoes?

Was looking at these:
http://www.williamlennon.co.uk/footwear ... shoes.html

These are what I wear for work in case I feel like dropping a computer on my foot - they are cheap, comfy and not too heavy, only real downside is they scuff up quite easily so look a bit rough after a year (though I do give the uppers some abuse so do expect some damage).

Nik
Probably the fastest vegan elf at Abingdon parkrun

http://gastroplodder.vegebear.com/blog
Gastroplodder

Postby Fallen_Horse » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:13 am

I have an even better challenge!

1. Sold in US
2. Steel-toe
3. 8 inch
4. Size 12 US
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby Gulliver » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:59 am

Vegetarian Shoes in Brighton (and on the internet) have safety boots.
Herbivorous Rex - Higher-protein vegan recipes with bad food photography.
Use the code MP135271 to get 5% off at MyProtein (including rice, pea, hemp and soya protein)!
Gulliver

Postby xrodolfox » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:39 pm

Fallen_Horse wrote:I have an even better challenge!

1. Sold in US
2. Steel-toe
3. 8 inch
4. Size 12 US

Payless has a few including this: Men's Dave Waterproof Steel Toe Boot with safeTstep Technology
There are more here: Men's size 12 work boots.
You just have to look through and find the ones that say, "Man-Made Materials".
Payless shoes, as you probably know, last about a season or two of regular wear. They've gotten better. It used to be that the uppers would wear out quickly. Now the soles wear out faster than the upper. But it all happens pretty quick. Then again, the shoes only run in the $40 range maximum.

However, if you have more $$$, I would go for this: http://www.mooshoes.com/
A friend runs it, and they're all vegan and concerned with labor rights and environmental rights. They make sure they carry only from companies that are at the top in worker standards (with unions ideally). The shoes are more expensive, but they'll last you forever. I have shoes from them from Fall of 2000 that I still wear regularly.
Here's they're steel toe boots line-up: MooShoes Men's Steel Toed Boots. They have a shop in NYC, if you want to try them on in person. These shoes will set you back around $180. Ouch.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby Hiking Fox » Wed May 02, 2012 5:12 pm

I have the ones sold by Ethical Wares. I've had them since 2007 and they show little sign of wear. I'm very pleased with them.

This is the (they've changed 'em very slightly) product:

http://www.ethicalwares.com/vegan-vegetarian-non-leather-footwear/safety-footwear-vegan-vegetarian-non-leather/safety-boot.html
Hiking Fox

Postby Big Good Wolf » Thu May 03, 2012 1:27 am

I posted about the boots I got supplied at work a while ago.
viewtopic.php?p=374933#p374933
The link's gone dead now though, so I may need to follow up some of the suggestions here myself when they need replacing.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
Big Good Wolf

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby Fallen_Horse » Thu May 03, 2012 5:39 am

xrodolfox wrote:However, if you have more $$$, I would go for this: http://www.mooshoes.com/
A friend runs it, and they're all vegan and concerned with labor rights and environmental rights. They make sure they carry only from companies that are at the top in worker standards (with unions ideally). The shoes are more expensive, but they'll last you forever. I have shoes from them from Fall of 2000 that I still wear regularly.
Here's they're steel toe boots line-up: MooShoes Men's Steel Toed Boots. They have a shop in NYC, if you want to try them on in person. These shoes will set you back around $180. Ouch.

Awesome!
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby NatB » Thu May 03, 2012 5:59 am

Moo Shoes are great and if you are required to wear PPE for work your company is responsible for providing them. I got mine to reimburse me for my boots despite them being much more expensive than leather ones. You may wish to try that route if you fancy having an ethical argument with them. I am hoping the Met Police will do the same when it comes to getting my uniform! Am not sure if they are legally obliged to under "equality" laws but it might not be something they want the hassle arguing with otherwise!
NatB

Postby knackers » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:44 am

need a pair of lace ups for an upcoming worksite, these look good, oil and acid resistant is pretty cool, have been on a site where a dude was told his boots werent up to spec and he couldnt commence work... Fingers crossed no safety dude picks on me to try and justify his job. I might just rip the manufacturer tag off and then they dont know who made them if any reference is made to my shiny new boots.

Vegan Wares
Victor Worker (Tuff)
Steel toe-cap work boot
Sizes: Uk 4 - 13
Colour: Black *
Sole: Nitrile rubber, oil and acid resistant
Wide and narrow fittings
Bellows tongue

This is a rugged & extremely comfortable work boot made to high standards with the most durable materials. However, we can not call it a safety boot as our factory does not have the government approvals necessary to label items as "safety footwear".

Price: $Aus 230
“Animals do have a voice. If you ignore their suffering, I will remind you of it. If you don't understand them, I will translate. If you don't hear them, I will be their voice. You may silence them but you cannot silence me as long as I live.” ~ Anita Mahdessian (C
knackers

Postby kallefs » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:28 am

Those might be a problem if used offshore. Probably not allowed to have steel-cap in your shoes as they often require antistatic shoes, especially if its on any kind of drilling-rig.
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Next

Return to Vegan Products and Supplements