Struggling with food

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Struggling with food

Postby Catt Queen » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:54 pm

Recently I've been really struggling to eat properly... Combination of being busy at work, lack of interest, and shortness of time.

I have a shake for breakfast (pea protein, dextrose, spirulina, & glutamine in either water or a mix of water & soy milk) before walking my dog, then lift weights for about 30 mins before work. I'll either have another shake post workout or take peanut butter toast to work with me.

At work I keep almonds and apples, sometimes satsumas, to snack on. I take in a big tub of raw veg (carrot, cucumber, sugarsnaps, leafy green stuff) to eat throughout the day. I also take enough of my shake mix for two shakes.

All the best intentions... Work is 10am to 630pm. At 6pm today I realised I hadn't actually eaten all day, except two packs of crisps from the vending machine at work!!

The same thing had happened on Tuesday and I had a shake as soon as I got home. Halfway through the evening dog walk I felt faint and shaky - ate as soon as I got home and went to bed.

In myself I feel fine otherwise so don't think it's my "old friend" depression come back to haunt me, but what it is I don't know... Veggie burger and chips solved the hunger problem tonight, but this crap isn't doing my fat loss goals any good at all... ! :(

Anyone got any tips please?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
Allie =^..^=
http://www.stronger.me.uk
Find me on Facebook
Courage, sacrifice, determination, commitment, toughness, heart, talent, guts.
That's what little girls are made of; to hell with sugar and spice.
Catt Queen

Re: Struggling with food

Postby NatB » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:00 pm

Are you sure its not depression or stress even though you might not think so? I have been under immense stress lately and my normally voracious appetite has disappeared. Even though you are busy at work you need to make time for food even if you think you dont want it. make a point of taking a walk at lunch and finding something nice to eat. this also hekps with stress. even if 20 minutes you get some fresh air and refocus.

Also are you drinking more caffeine that usual?
NatB

Postby Konstantin » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:19 pm

Sometimes you have to make time to make quick easy meals that are appetising. For me a stir fry rarely fails to do the job. It involves throwing whatever I can find in a pan for 5 minutes with curry powder oil and sea salt and always tastes brilliant. Get some good food that keeps well. Spinach (frozen), tomatoes, onion, cabbage, tinned chick peas and other beans, carrots, peppers. Do you have a crowave at work? If so, cook too myuch and take some in.

Cook too much rice or pasta and take it in cold with soya sauce, peas, chick peas and spring onion. Maybe cucumber and tomatoes too. Tinned pineapple goes well with oats and raisins to make breakfast, could be lunch too. Add ground seeds if you've got he time. Maybe spend some time at the weekend making thrive pizzas or flapjacks and they may last you most of the week.

Make sure it's something you enjoy as well as being healthy.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby Talyn » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:23 pm

If you need ideas I am sure we can give you dozens of ideas for quick meals.

My lunch at the moment consists of two cans of beans, a bunch of nutritional yeast, heaps of chilli sauce, cucumber, packet salad mix you can get from tesco, and pumpkin seeds. Takes about 5 minutes to put that all together and it's about 1000 calories and takes me about an hour to eat whilst sitting at my desk.

I then usually have a protein shake or a builders bar. Total prep time in the morning is about 6-7 minutes and I'm set for the entire day.

I think you need to make time to plan & prepare your meals. Saying you have no time is a bit of a cop out, your health is important so you need to find the time!
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby Catt Queen » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:30 pm

Thanx guys, some great ideas there :mrgreen:

Work is stressful. I've been making a point of getting out of the office on my lunch break (whole 30 mins) and going for a walk (the only shop within walking distance is Tesco express and there's nothing there I want to eat). Think I need a routine for eating throughout the day - maybe take my prepped lunch with me on my walk then heat it up and take it back to my desk with me. Even if it takes me the rest of the afternoon to eat with the phones ringing constantly, at least I'll have eaten.
Allie =^..^=
http://www.stronger.me.uk
Find me on Facebook
Courage, sacrifice, determination, commitment, toughness, heart, talent, guts.
That's what little girls are made of; to hell with sugar and spice.
Catt Queen

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating