Al's Race log- cycling

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: Al's cycling log

Postby bob_summers » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:28 pm

My favourite plan over autumn / early winter is to get out on the MTB as much as possible, rekindle a bit of love for just being out on a bike ; I find it essential to arrive in the shitty bit of winter in the right frame of mind :-)
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Re: 47th/585

Postby Alistar » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:03 am

Sounds good! Be good to get out on the mtb. Yeah just borrowed my mates shock pump so got no excuses now :D Got invited to another race(Around Brunner 130km) this Sat after a guy pulled out so have accomodation available.

Race is a bit flat for me but should still be fun. They now go off in waves of fifty riders every few minutes wth the club and elite riders getting prefference so hopefully will get in the 3rd wave or so. Not much chance of catching those ahead so just hope my bunch isn't too slow and boring. Last time all the rec riders started together and I got so bored with no one working, just toottling along, did random attacks until I tired myself out at about the halfway point. Then I was so stuffed I had no option but to sit in :wink: But how fast I go depends on the group I'm with as the fast guys will be long gone.

Beautiful day Fri, beautiful today, so went on my bike ride yesterday when it was blowing a gale. :| Legs pretty good and steamed up the 1st hill at 21kph on fresh legs. Just concentrated on trying to build muscle so periodically put it in a hard gear while seated to hurt my quads. Did a new route so wasn't sure how far it was. Not really enough but good to go a different way for a change.

Bastard SOK Rapaki cordone, Govs Lytt and home.

70km 2hrs40:14 26.2Av 73kph Max
Alistar

Postby Alistar » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:11 am

100k's today just up to top of hilltop(+500m down otherside to get to 50k) and back. Another lovely Autumn day. Wind was weird. Was a tailwind to this particular spot then suddenly changed to a headwind. Wind was quite strong so was weird having this invisible delineation line. Got up to some nice speeds with the tail (around 45kph without tryiig too hard. But the reverse on the way back and was difficult to keep over 20 at times.
Rode quite hard up Hilltop(6.3km and 476m) but still a good 3min down on the time I did in LR.
Was at 29.8kph Av before hitting the Headwind at about 2hrs40

1hr18:08 to Little River
1hr26:16 botom
1hr50:12 top
2hrs22 Birdlings
2hrs52 Gebbies
Gebbies 7min10 riding quite hard HW
Last hill 3:52

100.43km 3hrs28:40 28.88Av 74.8Max
Alistar

Postby bob_summers » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:42 pm

hope you weren't doing your power-gurn when the wind changed, otherwise you're stuck with it!

That's a good solo avg for 100km even without the HW.
bob_summers

Re: 57th/600 odd

Postby Alistar » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:43 am

Ha! Yeah have to watch that. Never was too good at the poker face...

Oh well. Race in the weekend went well. At race pack pick up read the startlist and was quite surprised at the level of riders starting. Of course all of them were in my AG as it was from 20-39 . They didn't have a separate elite field this yr so a few of the elite riders were making out they wouldn't be there. Prob just trying to increase their own chances of a win the crafty buggers :wink:
Day we arrived in Greymouth it was raining,cool and wet in contrast to the warm dry weather on the East. Was meant to clear overnight but the morning arrived with heavy cloud and drizzle and quite cool so took my jacket. Of course after we started the sun came out so could have done without it.

I snuck onto the back of the elite and club riders at the start which was the right place for me in terms of ability. I had no allusions about sticking with the elite guys, but could hang with the 2nd rater's. Was a furious start and we were flying along in the 1st 5kms as the elite guys put the pressure on from the gun and I was struggling to keep up on the back of a particular paceline. The elite guys had already got a bit of a gap so I was already in the 2nd bunch. All of a sudden heard the sickening crash of metal and carbon as riders up ahead went down in a heap. Bikes flying everywhere, all over the road and on the grass. Luckily I was back far enough, I could ease off and was able to thread my way through b/t bikes on the grass without falling off. Heard at the end one of the elite women had forgotten to secure her front wheel so it came off at ~ 45kph( not sure exactly as my speedo flaked out in the am so didn't bring it). So she ended up in hospital :(
Unfortunately this meant I'd completely lost my bunch as all the guys ahead of the carnage were long gone. Should have just sat up but wasn't sure who if any were behind me. Knew the next bunch would be a couple of mins behind starting later and wasn't sure of their level so kept on plodding along. Picked up a hard grafter up ahead(know him from a lot of other races and he's never afraid of a bit of work), and another guy and soon there was about 6. However only half of them were doing work. Was quite a relief 30km later that we got picked up by the big bunch behind(50 odd?) as we'd hit a few rollers, and it'd been a HW for sometime and our average speed increased heaps. It was a bit disorganised as at least half never went up the front. So I probably did a lot more of my share along with the same guys. Just before the halfway mark the course heads back the otherway so it was a nice TW. People were flying off the front to catch a bunch of 15 or so up ahead so the pressure went on. A few hills etc and people were trying to break up the bunch. A small bunch would stick and we'd be chasing back on. Once it was all back together people would relax a bit so allow the strugglers to get back on. Unfortunately most of them were getting a tow and the same players were up the front. I was starting to tire(no not tyre! See there is a reason for the different spelling :P ), after about 100k after all the work I'd been doing, so was happy to relax a bit too after everyone got back together. Otherwise would ruin my chance of perhaps hanging on at the finish. So let other people do the work for awhile so drifted to the back of the bunch. Pressure started going on again in the last 15k's so found myself back at the the front. Trouble was after getting near the front it was difficult not to stay there as lots just weren't coming through. In last few k's drifted to the back of the bunch again and got a good position on the right hand side. Basically on the last rise made my move and flew around to the front of the bunch for the sprint. Just as I got there one guy jumped followed strongly by another just before the last little rise, I tried to get on the back of them but my legs just died! :x Told them to shut up but they weren't listening so failed :( . Got off my seat and tried to accelerate but could hardly support myself off the saddle as my legs were screaming so a few people started going past. So coming down the last hill just before the finishing straight were some train tracks covered with boards so again there was hesistation as they weren't well secured so people slowed down ahead so I couldn't keep any momentum so had to brake and then re-accelerate on my shit legs. Suffice to say my sprint was non existant so lost a few places. Was quite demoralising when this huge Maori guy(6ft3 and full of muscles) from way back went flying past at twice my speed and nearly took out the bunch sprint. So probably lost a good 10-15 places in the sprint.

Was cool riding with most of the top women too( a couple escaped in a bunch 2mins up the road) as they were all keeping tabs on each other and weren't afraid of a bit of work until the last 20k's. Must have been about 7or 8 in our bunch) Pretty damn strong on a few of the power climbs too. And 2 killed me in the sprint as well.

130km 3hrs29:53 37.16 kphAv
57th

No idea how the top guys do it but a few somehow flew off the front of the front bunch and finished in 3hrs6. :shock: But until about 3hr20 most finished in 1's and 2's so sounds like they smashed each other to bits
Alistar

Re: Winding down for Winter

Postby bob_summers » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:40 pm

I can never find your log it changes title so often!

37 avg :shock: :shock: :shock:
Another good result, it's a pity there aren't a few more races left in the season to really get you flying!

Or are there?!
bob_summers

Postby Alistar » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:23 am

Ha! Yeah even I couldn't find my log today :lol:

No not any more races on the horizon unfortunately. But its been a good end to the season really. I've been having this feeling of being "nearly there" on each of my last races. Won't take too much, but just a bit more strength in the legs, and a bit more endurance and I'd be at a level I could be pleased with. At the moment I can hang quite comfortably and be one of the stronger riders in my group (a few back from the front), but just can't quite finish it off as the lactic acid builds up a bit too much in the legs in the last 20k's. Rendering them useless for the tactical moves I'd like to do but just don't have the strength anymore in the legs to carry it out.

Will have to look into it for next season, and if I can afford it and/or justify the money a good coach may not be a bad idea.
Alistar

Postby Alistar » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:17 am

10k's towards work and realised I'd forgot my keys so had to bike back and get them :x Oh well meant I did a bit more k's so all good :D

Bike and me felt a bit sluggish at the start but not too bad after warming up. Passed a roadie at the bottom of SOK so went extra fast (well faster than I would have) and got up Dyers in under 14mins for the first time commuting in ages. Needn't have bothered as even halfway up he was long gone...

On way home went up otherside in an uncomfortably big gear seated until having enough. On way home kept alternating between big gear and then a ridiculous low gear. Quite amazed at how much speed I can get up to on a moderate gradient in my 25 versus a bigger gear having never really tried it much before. But can't sustain it for very long at both ends of the spectrum. No idea if what I was doing was counter-productive or not but was fun anyway. Was prob overdoing it a bit, but still didn't get that feeling of being in the red I clearly felt in my last 2 races. Didn't train my top end enough so was a bit of a shock to the system, and never a good feeling in the first 10mins of both races! I expected it in the LR, but not in Brunner just holding onto the 2nd bunch on the flat, so work to do.

Seems a shame to ease off now though as I know how much effort is required to even get to this moderate level of bike fitness. Anyway the weather will be packing up soon which will help my slide :(

13:58 Govs
18:32 Dyers
Last hill 4:15 / 3:49

2hrs44:46 70.8km 25.78Av 69.4max
Alistar

Postby bob_summers » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:46 am

Alistar wrote: I know how much effort is required to even get to this moderate level of bike fitness.

tell me about it, and if you slack off for a couple of weeks you almost have to do it all over again!

If you're looking for a new challenge, the year record is said to be unbreakable :wink:
I think that's coz a vegan has never attempted it, the current record having been set by a veggie! Go get em Al!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Godw ... _born_1912)
bob_summers

Postby Alistar » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:43 am

Ha! Looks to me like a perfect challenge for you, as you're just that much closer to the end goal than me :wink:
Hmmm...not sure if I like the look of his lifespan though :shock: Back in those days they would have had no idea about nutrition or hydration so wonder if that helped wear him out?

Beautiful cloudless day yesterday, and weather map the same for today so expected it to be the same too. However the cloud rolled in all day off the sea instead. Thought I'd have time to drive to the mtb track (an hr away) with my son who was doing his "Diamond challenge" for school(2rides to reach 40km), then get home and go for a good bikeride myself. However by time I got ready etc etc, and got back, ran out of daylight. Oh well...

Did 2 laps of the track, a 15km and a 10km loop which is the longest bikeride my 9yr old son has ever done. :D He started getting a bit tired at the end of the 1st lap but still finished well in the last 10k's with only a couple of quick 30sec hydration stops. This was the 1st time he's been able to make it up all the steep little rises without stopping too, so was a good day for his confidence as he put everything into it just to keep moving 8) He's had a bit of a growth spurt recently so I think the last time his seat was much too low which makes it hard to transfer much power through the pedals when your legs are too bent. Had to put his seat up about 3times by small increments until getting it about right. He also seems to be getting the hang of the gears, as before I had to tell him when to change up or down which is good. He's never going to learn if Dad has to do the thinking for him, so about time I shut up :wink: :D

1st lap 1hr7:00 15k
2nd lap 45mins 10k
Alistar

Postby bob_summers » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:27 pm

I was struck by his untimely end too, but I kinda believe we're preprogrammed to die at a certain age and no amount of cycling heroics (or McDonalds) is going to make a difference!

On the subject of endurance madness, I've been following the World Cycle Race, the current leader Mike Hall (well known on the UK 24h MTB solo racing scene) is still hammering out 320km/day and is on for cycling around the world in 96 days at this rate :shock: He promised his mum he'd get back for her birthday....
He did NZ south island in 55hours, with 16000km in his legs already!

Enjoy these moments with Al Jr, you'll cherish them in a few years when he's handing your arse to you, and/or teaching you how to use electronic shifters :twisted:
bob_summers

Postby Alistar » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:07 pm

Yeah well he's not the first. A few ex-champ marathon runners go the same way too. Always a surprise as you kind of think 'cause they were once elite/amazing athletes they'll be immune to the usual human conditions later on, and live to a 100.

Yeah I heard they were coming through. Can't believe some passed through so quickly though :shock: Impressive stuff..wonder how they feel from day to day with the mileages they're doing? Arses must be made from Titanium...

Ha! Yeah I hope at least one of the brood takes up cycling/mtbing or whatever and develops an enjoyment for it. Would be nice to have a kid that was a bit better than mediocre like his/her Dad too, and shows me how its done :wink: :D

Oh well back to the usual. Felt pretty good today. Late as always so couldn't take it easy,trying to drag back a couple of minutes to be a respectible 5mins late instead of closer to 10.
Rode pretty hard from halfway up Dyers on way home, but didn't decide to floor it early enough so my commuting pb form 4yrs ago still eludes me. Have to ride hard from the bottom to get a good time...
Did that high cadence thing again( as well as some low) and noticed I seem to be able to sustain a better speed on the flat like that too shifting down a gear or 2 from my usual so think I may be onto something there for perhaps future improvements.

29:35 Govs
14:20 SOK
58:02 there
17:20 SOK
3:58 last hill
57:22 home

1hr55:24 51.3km 26.67Av 73.9Max
Alistar

Postby Alistar » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:30 am

ANZAC day today and had the morning off so had some time for a mtb with a mate. First time he's been out since the birth of his little girl a couple of weeks back. So was cool to be an understanding ear and give him a bit of advice etc. Funny how "non-parent" types have a kid and suddenly become supermum or dad and seem born for the role but I digress...

Anyway he's quite a technically proficient mtber unlike me so was good to follow his line over some of the rocks etc on the single track on the Port hills. Was freaking out over all the little rocks and bumps initially as there's a bit of a fall to oneside. Always looks so much worse than it is when you're more used to roadbiking and it takes awhile to trust that your momentum will get you over and your rim won't disintegrate and tyre explode everytime you hit a sharp rock. Went up Rapaki and over Mt Vernon track, along the Summit traverse to Vic Park. Then over past the SOK to Worsleys hanging a right onto a newly (clandestine) built forest track by local trackbuilders . Lots of switchbacks steep downhill bits and a few challenging rocky sections(for me anyway) where you don't want to make a mistake.

Only came a cropper once up on the Summit traverse where the track split into 2. My friend took the more technical route to pass a few slowies, I started to follow then thought I might fall off over a lava flow in front of everyone so tried to change back, but too late so I went straight ahead instead, got hooked up on rocks stalled and fell off anyway :oops: Oh well no real damage done. Steep down the bottom on the tarmac and got to a top speed of 73kph which isn't too bad on chunky tyres

~2hrs
Alistar

Postby bob_summers » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:28 pm

Hah your top speeds are always impressive!
Sounds like a good plan, bit of recreational MTB to keep up the mojo, and if you can ride with a better guy you'll be gaining loads of confidence.
bob_summers

Postby Alistar » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:38 am

Yeah just need to relax a bit more, as its not really as bad as it looks. If I fall just have to remember to fall uphill rather than down :wink:

Just found out I beat my 2009 Around Brunner time by 37secs 8) For some reason thought I'd done it in 3hrs26...

Today thought I'd go in to town with the family as we didn't have too much to do. Thought when we got home, (assumed around 1pm) the sun would be out, and perfect for a bikeride in the warmest part of the day. Fool! I forgot how long women(mother and daugter) can enjoy looking, and choosing stuff in a material shop. Then got stuck in traffic as everyone in Christchurch was going to "the game" :x Of course had no idea "the game" was even on.
Anyway got home at 3pm so temp was starting to drop, and by time I was ready(couldn't find my chain lube) only had 2hrs before sunset which was a bit annoying.

Decided to do a reasonable effort up Gebbies and the big B. The local leaderboard closes for the last time on the 30th April and although won't have any chance or time to catch up the leader want to deliver him a message and hit him where it hurts. Beating him on the hardest climb on the leaderboard should do the trick :twisted: . He did a damn good time of 20:16 for the Gebbies/Bastard combo or a split time of 5:10/15min flat(few sec's for the transition b/t climbs). My pb done in 2009 was 5:20/14:50 but had a bit of a tail on the Bastard
However didn't do any pb attempts up the climbs this last yr so am missing a bit of the top end I've had in other yrs, so will be a big ask. Today went pretty hard up Gebbs but not all out, and a little harder on the big B. Even though was pacing myself noticed I started fading 3/4 way up which prob isn't a good sign. Splits were 6min flat/15:28 or 21:39 in total so I may be kidding myself...Just hope the wind behaves itself

17:06 bottom
23:06/23:11 top Gebbs/1st cattlestop
34:45 top
55:55 SOK
1hr18:00 SOK via Rapaki
Last hill 3:50

63.13km 2hr17:00 27.65Av 75.7Max
Alistar

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs