Baldy does stuff occasionally

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: Baldy works towards 140kg front squat and 105kg bodyweig

Postby baldy » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:50 pm

Sneaky session to catch up on my Russian Squat program.
Left knee is little tweaked and not feeling right, ice tonight.

Tuesday Russian Squat week 2 day 1
==============================
Warmup
Back Squat: 4xbar, 4x60kg, 4x90kg, 105kg 4,2,2,2,2,2 // got confused and thought I was on 4 day already. Felt easy enough but so slow.
Ida Core Routine // tuned it with longer 45 second holds and shorter 30 second breaks, remains 10 minute total.
Stretch.

Bring on 6x4 on Thursday something will be crushed!
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:55 pm

Week two on the squat program and already it has got to the stage that I am sitting at working getting myself psyched up and dabbing cream on my sore bits.
Knee is little tender, not really my knee its a muscle that runs from the knobbly bit at the bottom of my knee down into the shin. It is just sore not painful, hopefully I can nurse it better.

Woking, Week 2, Session 2
======================
Warmup
Squat: 5xbar, 5x60kg, 3x90kg, 6x4 105kg // all felt fine maybe tiny bit more explosive than last week, fast out the hole, slow to almost grind as I transfer in the middle then plate rattling fast at the top.
Ida 10 minute plank routine
3x5 pullups
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Talyn » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:58 am

Bit concerned that after only two weeks you are trotting out the sore knees & heat rubs.

Looking for an out? 6 weeks is a long time you know... not sure if you can handle it.

:lol:
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby Lordmuppet » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:08 am

time for nose tork?
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby ninearms » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:08 am

I'm more concerned about the fact that he's getting psyched up to squat 105.

Have a word with yourself! It's 105!!!
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby JP » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:12 am

thats patella tendonitis, lots of weightlifters get it

ice the knee after sessions, and use some ibu before a session

also some people, me included, benefit from tight fitting knee sleeves. The weightlifters at OSG tape the tendon to the bone tightly before a session and that takes away the pain.
JP
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:36 pm

Talyn wrote:Looking for an out? 6 weeks is a long time you know... not sure if you can handle it.

I am just taking one week at a time, actually next week might be tricky with Easter and all that. The plan will be handled, this program is in the bag.

Lordmuppet wrote:time for nose tork?

Haven't used salts in ages, the problem with 6 sets is that if you get the salts and the rage on ever set you kind of get a sore throat and lose your voice a little. Its only 105kg, should be chucking it around without too much effort really.

ninearms wrote:I'm more concerned about the fact that he's getting psyched up to squat 105.

Have a word with yourself! It's 105!!!

Yes, that is the problem I have one side of my brain giving me the ninearms talk "easy, lightweight, you can squat 150kg easy" and the other side of my brain saying hey this feels heavy and slow.
In case you havent been following my log as closely as you should be, I have lost loads of weight and not been training for a month. So am not as strong as I used to be, will come back quick.

JP wrote:thats patella tendonitis, lots of weightlifters get it

ice the knee after sessions, and use some ibu before a session

also some people, me included, benefit from tight fitting knee sleeves. The weightlifters at OSG tape the tendon to the bone tightly before a session and that takes away the pain.

Spot on expert internet diagnosis according to wikipedia I have stage 2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patellar_tendinitis
I have been squatting with strengthshop bumble bee sleeves on already. They don't seem to make much difference. Have been icing and put some ibuprofen gel on this afternoon before training to take the sting off.
Didn't squat today either just to give it a little break. iced it every evening while I watch eastenders and will carry on with that.
Think it will clear up pretty quickly, is expected really after taking a month off then diving into a squat program. Also my flexibility and range of moment has improved so dramatically my knees are having to deal with a totally new experience.

Woking Friday
============
Clean & Jerk: 3x3 20kg, 3x50kg, 3x60kg, 3x70kg, 3x80kg, 3x85kg // 1 clean and 3 jerks new triple PR! thinking now might keep going till I can triple 90
Snatch: 3x3 20kg, 3x40kg, 3x45kg, 3x50kg, 3x55kg (with 1 fail in the middle) // pissed off about the fail wasn't focused enough didn't finish the pull. These are proper triples now hands don't leave the bar.
Snatch Pulls from hang: 6x55kg, 2x6 70kg
Stuffed around with the boys doing curls, reverse curls, pullups. Coach who is turning 75 years old soon, curled 40kgs for 2 reps I only managed 4.
baldy
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:50 pm

Sunday Indoor rock climbing
=======================
Haven't climbed properly for 5 weeks , the rest of the crew havent climbed either and one was nursing an injury so we took it very easy.
Did about 10 climbs in total up to 5+ only 1 route that got me.
Bouldering couple of 5+ routes
Pullup routine, managed the 10 second hang on medium edge and 5 second hold in 3 finger pocket. Lots of pullups, russian army style.
baldy
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:03 pm

Pretty shit session, didn't hit the numbers I wanted. Felt great going in, had good session on Friday, was well rested from the weekend so not really sure what went wrong.

Woking Monday
=============
Warmup
Snatch: 3x3 3x30kg, 3x42kg, 47kg 2F1, 52kg 2F1, 57kg 2F1 // was just not firing today missed the 3rd rep on all of them. WTF! Pushing bar to far in front of me and dropping my chest, big chest the only cue you ever need apparently.
C&F: 3x3, 3x60kg, 3x72.5kg, 3x82.5kg, 87kg F+1 jerk // failed a 87kg jerk wtf again. nailed it the second time and then left it there.
Fronties: 3x60kg, 3x90kg. 2x100kg, 1x105kg, 1x110kg, 1x115kg // should have done more, feeling emo, didnt want it enough, left if there.
30 minutes talking trash and stretching hammies.

The person who wrote the russian squat program did not know that I am going away for easter, so I have had to change it slightly. Going to nail the 6x5 tomorrow then try get to gym while I am away and do the 6x2 speed day.

Knee is still little sore, been icing it everyday and it is definitely getting better. Voltoral gelled it up before the session today, maybe why it wasn't great session?
baldy
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:48 pm

Better session today, taped knee as per JP advice. First did it too tight, then did it bit looser worked a treat but knee felt maybe more sore afterwards?
When I say sore its not really sore, just can feel it needs some attention.

Russian Squat, Week 3, Day 2
=========================
Swapped the days around this week, will do the easy day 1 later in the week.
Warmup
Back Squat: 5x20kg, 5x60kg, 3x90kg, 6x5 105kg // felt way better, focuses on going straight down and chest up. Bar path was way better, no good mornings. Last couple of sets where cardio, sweating and grunting. 2-3 minute breaks between sets.
Pullups 3x5
10 Minute Ida Core routine.
Hamstring stretch.
Ice knee.

This was the kind of mood I was in today.
baldy
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:56 pm

Thursday MAN FLU!
Max Snotty.

Friday
=====
Snot moved into chest
10-15km, very awesome and in the snow!

Saturday
========
Most of snot gone.
Holiday gym session
Warm up
Back Squat: 3x60kg, 3x90kg, 6x2 105kg // no bother, maybe even fast, knee only a little sore
Guns
couple token pullups
baldy
Site Admin

Postby skoptic » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:17 am

Sorry to hear about man flu.. where are you running in the snow, sounds nice?

So out of solidarity for you lifters - I watched some of the European weightlift champs on Eurosport yesterday.. some very short people doing clean and jerk. Almost got sucked in ... ;)
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby baldy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:37 am

It is Thursday already and I haven't done either of my 2 squat sessions yet. Bulking is also not going to well mainly because of the lack of food in my kitchen, need to hit the shops hard tonight.

Wednesday
==========
Warmup
C&J: 3x3 20kg, 3x60kg, 3x70kg, 3x77.5kg, 3x82.5kg // standard 1 clean 3 jerks, comfy enough. Next week will have crack at 3x87.5kg for new pr.
Snatch: 3x3, 3x40kg, 3x45kg, 3x50kg, 3x55kg // no fails, no grazing my knees so full off the floor is tigher. Not getting so much hip drive with the second pull.
Front Squats: 3x60kg. 3x90kg, 2x105kg, 1x110kg, 1x120kg // 120 felt nice, path was perfect. Plenty more in there but will creak it up 2.5kg every session.

Good session nothing amazing but hit everything on the plan with no fails. Took 2 hours though, need to work on getting more stuff done in less time.

Knee nearly pain free, tonight 6x6 squat day!
baldy
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:51 am

skoptic wrote:..where are you running in the snow, sounds nice?

So out of solidarity for you lifters - I watched some of the European weightlift champs on Eurosport yesterday.. some very short people doing clean and jerk. Almost got sucked in ... ;)

Was lucky enough to get over to Sweden for the long easter weekend, it was certainly not 10-15km of running, easy flat hike in the woods, running would be crazy.

Weightlifting can be pretty fun to watch on TV actually, specially when you work out how the scoring works and can see the tactics. Some of the team GB guys bombed from what I heard.
Have you worked out the difference between a snatch and jerk?
baldy
Site Admin

Postby skoptic » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:02 pm

snatch I eat .. jerk I don't ;)
skoptic
Facebook Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs