[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
• View topic - Vegan For Life

Vegan For Life

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Vegan For Life

Postby beforewisdom » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:20 pm

I just finished this excellent book

Vegan For Life

This is a great book for anyone interested in eating a vegan diet. Beginners will find everything they need to know boiled down into a single page, on page 88, called "The Vegan Food Guide". People who have been eating vegan diets for a while will find updated nutrition information(the book was just published in 2011), including entire chapters debunking much misinformation and urban folklore about vegan diets. I found the chapters on soy food consumption and the real health benefits of vegan diets particularly interesting.

Instead of being a comprehensive ( and much longer ) book on nutrition, this book focuses on nutrition issues that people eating vegan diets should be aware of. This makes for a shorter, fact based book that is a bit more practical for people who aren't nutrition buffs.

The book has a strong focus on practicality, actually making a vegan diet work in day to day life. In chapter 8 the authors have some really good food preparation suggestions that can be used over and over for many types of food when people are rushed and not into making a recipe. There is also a section in the back of the book on page 243 describing basic cooking instructions for dietary staple foods. All phases of life, nutrition for athletic training are covered.

Jack Norris and Virginia Messina are Registered Dietitians who stay regularly abreast of current nutrition research and who are scrupulously honest about reporting the complete story in regards to nutrition...even if it isn't always what people want to hear ( they both regularly maintain blogs dedicated to vegan nutrition information ). In other words, you can depend on them to give you complete, up to date and truthful information.

That is what you will get in this book, in plain, easy to read language.
beforewisdom

Re: Vegan For Life

Postby NatB » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:40 pm

Oooh i just read it too and thought it was great. realise i need more lysene in my diet! have made a few tweeks! def a read for all vegans! :)
NatB

Postby beforewisdom » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:52 pm

FWIW, both authors have nutrition blogs. What I like about their writing is that if there is an issue that is not flattering about vegan diets they will tell you about it where other authors of vegan nutrition information will only cherry pick out the best facts to present. IMHO, I want to hear ALL of the relevant information out there. I think it is necessary for staying healthy. You can't fix a problem if you aren't aware of it.
beforewisdom

Postby NatB » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:15 pm

Yes definitely and ultimately if you dont follow a healthy vegan diet and do encounter problems its more fuel for the fire for carnivores!
NatB

Postby Twoism » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:54 pm

Just bought off amazon :)
Twoism

Postby purple_mog » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:26 am

Bought and in process of reading - rather embarassed to realise how many assumptions I'd been making, and I have a much clearer understanding of why I ended up so badly anaemic last year too :oops:

Excellent book, and really good writing style I thought.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

Mahatma Gandhi
purple_mog

Postby beforewisdom » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:38 pm

It is great to hear that you got the book, read it and found something to make yourself healthier. Thanks for posting!
beforewisdom

Postby Twoism » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:21 pm

Had a good read of this and it's great. There wasn't much in it that I haven't already read elsewhere, but this will be my go-to source from now on as it's so well-written/concise. It seems I have fallen for (and helped spread!) a few of the vegan myths which are dismissed in the first chapter (namely the myth that vegans require less calcium in the diet). One thing I've taken from this book is that I might not be getting enough vitamin A - definitely going to rectify that. Essential for new/prospective vegans and just an interesting read for anyone really.
Twoism

Postby beforewisdom » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:56 pm

Ditto about the vitamin A. I started eating at least 1 carrot a day.
beforewisdom

Postby Koa » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:24 am

Another good interview with Jack Norris:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU6_Jq2yyRc[/youtube]
Squat - 170kg
DL - 200kg
BP - 110kg
OHP - 75kg

"How can you run when you know" -Neil Young
Koa

Postby _Andreas_ » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:12 pm

Great read. The best book for vegan nutrition I have seen so far.
_Andreas_

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating