How to stop screaming during final sprints

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

How to stop screaming during final sprints

Postby Herbsman » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:08 pm

I need help - I find it difficult not to scream when I sprint at the end of a race. I feel I can't get the full power without screaming. And also the screaming helps me to ignore the pain in my legs. Has anyone else had this problem and how, if at all, have you overcome it?
Herbsman

Re: How to stop screaming during final sprints

Postby xrodolfox » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:21 pm

Problem?
Why is it a problem?

I've read that vocalizing has really positive physiological effects on performance.

I don't vocalize when I race/sprint, but I certainly do after I finish a set. It feels great, and it harms no one... especially if I finish strong.

What's the problem with your screams?
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby NatB » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:35 pm

My thoughts exactly! Whats the problem? There's always lots of screaming and shouting in my gym :)
NatB

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:49 am

Well, at the end of a race, surrounded by sixty riders, I can see that might be a problem !

Its the first time I have heard of it, at any level. For me, I was always too knackered at the end of a race, to shout or scream. If you are sprinting on the limit, how are you able to scream ?

Haven't got a solution though, other than keep your mouth shut ! :D
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby xrodolfox » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:28 pm

Tennis players vocalize all the time. Swimmers... not so much.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby Konstantin » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:35 pm

All my lift Pbs are much less if they only count without the word 'arse' being used. 'Arse' is worth at least 12 kg.

If you're that concerned can you turn it into a more acceptable grunt or growl? If I picture 'screaming' I imagine a high pitched squeal that's going to get everyone calling the ambulance, maybe it needs adapting.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby JP » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:34 pm

xrodolfox wrote:Tennis players vocalize all the time. Swimmers... not so much.

Lol!

Strength sports, martial arts, track and field etc too.

If you feel it's helping, why not.

If it's just theatrics, then better not :)
JP
Site Admin

Postby xrodolfox » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:46 pm

Actually, my fellow swimmers note that after every set, hard or not, I let out a HUGE "Uuarrfff" sigh and blow out water like a whale through a blowhole. It keeps me going, and I often can do more than my lane mates. I feel like I leave a bit of the tiredness behind when I let out some noise and water.
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Return to Cycling Forum