No more dreaming......Zofingen 2015

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: Timanfaya Dreaming

Postby IronGirl » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:42 am

Saturday

3 hour Turbo session - " best bang for your buck!" we have my mum visiting this week and this is worth a lot more than 3 hour on the road.

Spinervals "Tough Love" includes
3 x 10 min
1 X 30 min !!!!
5 X 6 min
2 X 10 min
1 X 20 min
5 x 3 min
and it changes constantly in each rep (gear changes, out of the saddle etc) and keeps you just below threshold.

mini transition run straight after, just a lap around the field with the dogs. Nothing like having 2 coaches with fresh legs to push you. Was just enough to realise that the legs were definately getting stronger and running well.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:54 pm

Sunday

2 hour run

1 hour with BillyBobs down the Gaines, up the bridle path and around the common. Finishing with 2 x 5 min hills
straight into
1 hour run with Poppa Dog - loop around the common
with a pyramid at 5k pace 1-2-3-4-5-6-5-4-3-2-1 minute reps with 1 minute rests

Poppa dog was still showing me up by running ahead, diving in and out of bushes and playing rough and tumble with other dogs. So fit! dogs are amazing!
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:51 pm

Monday

2200m swim
technique focusing on high elbows

35 min recovery run with dogs
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:06 pm

Tuesday
90 min Bike - hill rep session
on Acton Bank again
4 Reps at threshold pace.
8:30, 8:28, 8:15, and a sub 8:15 was definately on but there were horses in the road so I had to slow down right at the end.
1 more than last week, will do 5 next week.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:33 am

Wednesday

2800m swim as
400 warm up
2X (400 swim 400 pull 4 x 50 hard)
400 easy

70 min run with the dogs
mainly very steady - just didn't have a big session in the legs today and have a TT tommorow and a Du on sunday so I decided to ease off.
included a few short reps which helped rejuuvinate the legs a little.
5 (4 X 20 sec hard 20 sec easy) with 90 sec rest between.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:34 am

Thursday

1500m straight swim
very short I know but TT tonight.

Got ready for Time Trial, got extra waterprof out for the warm up and was ready to brave the rain.
Heard rumble of thunder - looked out of window just as a huge crack of lightning hit the field. Plus the April showers had turned into pouring rain.
<Eeek!! puts kit away and moves towards turbo - I'm such a wimp!!>

Update 17/4/12 just found out the TT was cancelled, so don't feel like such a wimp anymore.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:21 pm

Saturday 1 hour easy run with the dogs

Sunday Hereford Duathlon 5 mile Run - 19 mile Bike - 2.5 mile Run

Pretty tired today, had my mum visiting all week + put in some quality sessions over the Easter period.
Was hard work from the start, felt like I had nothing in my legs on the first run. Tried and tried on the bike but never felt right, seemed to be changing down the whole time. Glad to hold it together though and went out on the final run thinking Technique-Technique and managed to pass a few people. Surprised to be 7th Lady and even more surprised with having the 3rd fastest ladies bike split which definately helped me today because my running was dire!

I still have a love hate relationship with Duathlons. Hate them but would love to get out and do Zofingen one day.

Monday 2 x 1 hour Bike - Commute to work as car in for MOT. Not what I needed today!

Tuesday REST day with just a short walk and short run out of work ~ 15 min, but good to get the blood flowing!
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:27 pm

Wednesday
Park and Run Commute
2 x 25 min runs

Thursday
Open Eve at work Grr!! but managed to get out for a run between teaching finishing and the Open Eve starting.
Actually starting to feel human again, have been very tired!

1 hour run with 15 X 400m 3 (5 X 400 with 30 sec rest) 2 min rest between sets.
Yup getting my mojo back.

just entered a couple of cyclosportives for the start of May:
Forest of Dean Spring Classic http://www.wheelsinwheels.com/pdfs/CW_FOD2010.pdf
and
The Wyre Forest Stinger http://www.thestinger.co.uk/
Looking forward to getting out on some big bike rides.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:19 pm

Friday
Rode in and out of work

1 hour Bike in via Ankerdine Hill
Got completely soaked which wasn't so bad, but the hailstones really hurt!
Spent most of the day with a hairdryer in the staff room trying to dry kit out.

1 hour Bike home
with 1 X 20 min @ TT pace, about 3 min to recover before going home via Crews Hill and a few other nips!
and yes got wet on the way home as well.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:36 pm

Saturday

3 hour Turbo Session straight into 5km Run

Spinervals 13.0 "Tough Love" followed by a 5km tempo run @ 1/2 marathon pace.

"nailed it!" Well rested this week, paid off with what felt like a good solid session.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:15 pm

Sunday

Malverns End to End Run 2 Hours 50 min

Eastnor - British Camp - Wyche Cutting - Beacon - North Hill and back

Opposite way around to the way I normally run this, harder this way I think as you get the Beacon twice in quick succession.

The dogs came with Mr I as far as British camp before returning with him to Eastnor. They had great fun.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Tue May 01, 2012 4:49 pm

training log........what training log? lol!

Er yes a very easy week last week. The end of 6-8 weks focusing more on speed.

Backed off ready for Kempley Duathlon on the Sunday.

Well what a disapointment that was. We got an email on Saturday evening saying it was definately on, no matter what.....thunder & lightning, anything they were going ahead. <It's been a bit wet here in the UK>

I've had a cough for a couple of days and Mr I says I'm going nowhere! But come 6am on Sunday I'm peering out of the curtains. Complete deludge of rain and gail force winds. Back to bed for an hour. Peering out of curtains at 7am.....bound to be better by now.......hang on actually no change. :cry: OK I give up might as well have a couple of extra hours in bed.

In the end I found out that they had actually cancelled the Duathlon on the basis that it had become too dangerous for road biking due to "diabolical conditions". Only 30 people turned up <their words, I think 30 was amazing given the conditions> All wanted a "race" so they decided to do 3 laps of the run, that's 10.5 miles. Times were appauling and they promised not to publish the times! No prizes were awarded, they are keeping them and putting on the duathlon later in the summer.

Well in hindsight I'm glad I didn't go......Ironman training starts today and I think my cough would have escalated into something much worse if I'd gone.

Ironman training.......Mmmm currently wondering how to structure. Want to keep some speed having worked for what little I have. The run distance is there (done some 3 hour runs already), so probably just need to increase the long bike distance up to 6 hours or so. Probably keep everything else pretty similar.

Should be doing a cycling sportive on sunday. Probably around a 7 hour job, so hoping for better weather. Even a 2 or 3 hour ride would be miserable in the weather wev'e been having. But hey ho I don't have many options now, I have to get on with it.

Although I also in need of a psychiatrist at the moment - I've just ordered Spinervals Hardcore 100 :twisted: - 5 hours of turbo fun!!!!

Is it possible to do all your Ironman training on the turbo? - seem to remember Lori Bowden doing rather a lot and it didn't seem to do her any harm.

OK then Ironman training here we go!!!! 16 WEEKS TO GO.
IronGirl

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Wed May 02, 2012 12:45 am

too bad about the Du! but I think you are crazy to have any amount of love in your relationship with them.

16 weeks to go! Good times ahead :) Phoooo I know a number of people who have done almost all of their IM training on a trainer, but seems insane to me! Certainly moves it from the fun realm into purely training. I thought you were trying not to be old school any more, but here you are talking about 6 and 7hr rides and running longer than 3hrs :P
Mr. Cleetus

Postby IronGirl » Sun May 06, 2012 9:14 am

Mr. Cleetus wrote:too bad about the Du! but I think you are crazy to have any amount of love in your relationship with them.

16 weeks to go! Good times ahead :) Phoooo I know a number of people who have done almost all of their IM training on a trainer, but seems insane to me! Certainly moves it from the fun realm into purely training. I thought you were trying not to be old school any more, but here you are talking about 6 and 7hr rides and running longer than 3hrs :P

Point taken with the 6 or 7 hour rides. But I may throw in the odd sportive and although they are "only" about 100 miles the terrain is tough, so my average speed will be hopeless.

Runs over 3 hours? Had to think about this - there will only be one run over 3 hours, which is the man v horse marathon in June. Definate cut-off at 3 hours otherwise.

But I do take your point. I think I have a certain amount of panic at the moment. I know my run endurance is there but I've only been doing about 50 to 60 miles on the bike. However see my next post below, I think I've solved the problem and have now reevaluated the next 16 weeks.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Sun May 06, 2012 9:23 am

Saturday

Taking no chances with the weather today. I am going to ride 100 miles no matter what, so......

Spinervals 26.0 Hardcore 100

3 DVDs worth! Gradually building on intensity throughout and a total of 5 hours 37 min on the trainer!!!!!!!!!!!!

To summarise it was not a problem (although pretty boring and very repetitive as turbo training and even Spinervals go)

but I did it and it was NOT a problem. My bike endurance is better than I thought. So I do not need to go out and ride hours and hours and hours every day.....that is for cycling tourists. I need to work on strength and speed.

I need:

1 x long ride of around 5 hours (On the road in the future!!)
1 X Hill session or ride of around 3 to 4 hours on hilly terrain
1 x Interval on turbo or tempo session

anything else is infill and debatably unnecessary.
IronGirl

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs