Lance Armstrong goes vegan

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Lance Armstrong goes vegan

Postby tpertt » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:16 pm

[quote] HPC: Do you have a certain way you approach food?

LA: I didn’t for a long time until about a month ago until I started messing around with this new diet.

HPC: What changed?

LA: I started swimming again, and I swim with a guy [ed's note: former triathlete Rip Esselstyn] who started basically a food program called the Engine 2 Diet, which is a plant-based, 100% natural, organic diet. His dad was a famous cardiologist who did Forks Over Knives, and was President Clinton’s doctor. Clinton has gone to a completely vegan diet and he’s essentially erased his heart disease.

It’s basically whole grains, different types of beans, kale salad with creative alternatives for dressing. They’ll bring out something that looks like a brownie, but it’s not a brownie … though it tastes a bit like a brownie. So I did it for one day, then two days. Then I branched out and started doing it at breakfast and lunch. I still insist that I get to do whatever I want for dinner. But it’s made a significant difference in just in a month.

HPC: What kind of difference?

LA: Energy level. Even when you’re training really hard, it’s normal that you would have certain things for lunch or certain things for breakfast, and then have this dip, or almost like a food coma … I don’t experience that anymore. My energy level has never been this consistent, and not just consistent, but high. I’m a big napper — I couldn’t even take a nap these days if I wanted to.

The other thing — I expected to get rid of that dip, but I didn’t expect the mental side of it, and the sharpness and the focus that I’ve noticed. And I was the biggest non-believer, I was like ‘whatever man’, and I’m in. I’m not doing dinners yet, but breakfast and lunch, I’m in.

HPC: Do you think it’s pretty sustainable?

LA: If I were to stay in Austin, it’s very sustainable. It’s harder when you get on the road, of course — I mean, you walk out that door and breakfast is sitting there. None of that [muffins, croissants, etc.] is on the Engine 2 diet. So it gets harder and harder. But you can even travel with stuff. Breakfast is not hard, you bring your cereal and then you go to the store and buy almond milk, you buy bananas to put on top of it. If you plan, then it’s possible.

Full interview: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/03/29/lance-armstrong-2012_n_1262237.html
tpertt

Re: Lance Armstrong goes vegan

Postby Herbsman » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:51 pm

Vegan, or 'vegan'?
Herbsman

Postby Fallen_Horse » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:28 pm

I believe he is vegan except for dinnertime. So, 2/3 vegan.

Better than nothing I believe!
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby NatB » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:37 am

I would call that a "total vegetarian" diet, rather than a vegan one especially if its only 2/3 of the day!! People who only eat "vegan" and do it out of health reasons rather than those who follow a vegan lifestyle through altruistic reasons are more likely to stop being vegan, which is worse for the cause in the long run. I know some people think its good the get the message out but I think it confuses things. Like people who say they are vegetarians but eat fish.
NatB

Postby JP » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:15 am

[quote="NatB"]I would call that a "total vegetarian" diet, rather than a vegan one especially if its only 2/3 of the day!! People who only eat "vegan" and do it out of health reasons rather than those who follow a vegan lifestyle through altruistic reasons are more likely to stop being vegan, which is worse for the cause in the long run. I know some people think its good the get the message out but I think it confuses things. Like people who say they are vegetarians but eat fish.

Yeah and do health vegans still wear leather?

but still, it's all good progress.
JP
Site Admin

Postby NatB » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:26 am

exactly :)
NatB

Postby xrodolfox » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:25 am

interesting.
Clearly not vegan, but it sure will make some folks I know STFU.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby The Hill Killer » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:43 pm

Would be hilarious if he was just eating cheetos for dinner.

"c'mon guys, I can do whatever I want for dinner"
The Hill Killer

Return to Cycling Forum