Cooked Meals For A Million Years?

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Cooked Meals For A Million Years?

Postby beforewisdom » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:56 pm

A new study was published in the news citing evidence that Homo Erectus may have been using fire and cooking food as early as 1 million years ago.

That would mean people were eating cooked meals before people were people ( Homo Sapiens ).

Outside of scientific circles this may only be significant to raw foodists, many of whom justify eating only raw foods on the belief that it is the diet human beings evolved on and what we are adapted to.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Re: Cooked Meals For A Million Years?

Postby blinki » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:44 pm

There's raw foodists who use that argument? Never fail to be amazed. Surely common sense then says that we have evolved pasted living on raw food so why would we want to eat as if we were a previous form (species? biology isn't my strong point) of people?

Not that it matters if it's not true
blinki

Postby beforewisdom » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:53 pm

blinki wrote:There's raw foodists who use that argument?

Paleo dieters and other people use that argument in many other situations:

"Since we adapted to X while we were evolving, X is best for us"

The ironic thing is that the same raw foodists who will make a case for raw foodism based on evolution biology or who will make a case for veganism based on the anatomy of our teeth or digestive track anatomy will not be consistent with making a case for cooked meals when observing that while apes and primative humans have muzzles/distended faces, modern humans do not.

beforewisdom

Postby vCLaW » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:31 pm

The study says that people had fire 1 million years ago, it doesn't have any evidence that they were cooking food.
vCLaW

Postby Fallen_Horse » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:15 pm

vCLaW wrote:The study says that people had fire 1 million years ago, it doesn't have any evidence that they were cooking food.

"In a paper published last year, they traced such habitual use of fire to about 400,000 years ago."

Either way, that's plenty of time for humans to adapt to cooked food.
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby beforewisdom » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:04 pm

vCLaW wrote:The study says that people had fire 1 million years ago, it doesn't have any evidence that they were cooking food.

It does, I read another article about the study where it explained what the scientists analyzed and why, to try to figure out if the bones were just tossed around in the cave or if the flesh on them was cooked first.

beforewisdom

Postby beforewisdom » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:52 pm

mouche wrote:http://jezebel.com/5899319/stop-using-cavemen-as-an-excuse-for-your-fad-diet

Excellent ( and not too long ) post at that link. Thanks for posting. I encourage everyone to read it.

Here are the "money quotes" for me:

Stop Using Cavemen as an Excuse for Your Fad Diet

Anthropologists have uncovered "unambiguous evidence" in South Africa that our Homo erectus grandpas were cooking their food as far back as one million years ago. Previous to this discovery, the earliest conclusive evidence of deliberate, human-controlled fires dated back only about 400,000 years. Now, I know what you're thinking: How do I know it wasn't just spontaneously-combusted bat guano?

Don't worry, they covered that. Take it away, science:

snip ....

On principle, I 100% do not care what anyone else eats. But I do care about judgmental condescension shrouded in pseudo-science—the idea that certain behaviors are "healthier" or "more natural" because "that's how the cavemen did it." That's some bullshit that you hear all the time, from raw- and/or paleo-foodists and those barefoot people and the strident anti-monogamists. And I really honestly don't give a shit what any of those groups want to eat/wear/fuck, but can we just PLEASE leave the "cavemen" out of it?

http://jezebel.com/5899319/stop-using-c ... r-fad-diet

beforewisdom

Postby fresherthanlife » Wed May 02, 2012 5:32 am

I agree that cavemen aren't a good justification for modern diet/lifestyle. If they were, we'd all be having kids with our brothers and sisters and sleeping in our own poo.
fresherthanlife

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating