3 Times The Calcium Of Kale

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

3 Times The Calcium Of Kale

Postby beforewisdom » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:47 pm

Its called choy sum baby!

beforewisdom

Re: 3 Times The Calcium Of Kale

Postby The PhytoAthlete » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:19 pm

Is this the same as bok choy?

Yeah, the biggest misconception I see is people think you must eat dairy to get calcium when you can get plenty of calcium from vegetables, fruits, beans and nuts/seeds.
The PhytoAthlete

Postby vincentxanthony » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:29 pm

[quote="The PhytoAthlete"]Is this the same as bok choy?

Yeah, the biggest misconception I see is people think you must eat dairy to get calcium when you can get plenty of calcium from vegetables, fruits, beans and nuts/seeds.

This is because dairy isn't properly absorbed into the human body, due to cows milk not being meant for humans. Cowsmilk doesn't break down properly in our digestive tract so we don't really absorb the calcium from it like we should. Dietary calcium that comes from plants breaks down properly in our digestive system and we absorb all our body decides to.
vincentxanthony

Postby beforewisdom » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:00 pm

[quote="The PhytoAthlete"]Is this the same as bok choy?

No.

Choy Sum

Bok Choy

beforewisdom

Postby lobsteriffic » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:06 pm

Interesting. I've seen some of that at the farmer's market, but I didn't know what it was. There wasn't a sign and the seller didn't speak much English. I'll have to pick some up next time.
lobsteriffic

Postby beforewisdom » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:23 pm

+ 1

Seriously, I see people going all ape over kale. Talking about it all of the time, even growing it in apartments. Choy Sum deserves some of that love. I see so many more exotic things in even conventional supermarkets. Choy sum is so tasty and such a calcium powerhouse I figure it is time to start talking it up.
beforewisdom

Postby jpowell » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:09 am

Very interesting and valuable post. I had wondered about the nutritional substitutability of Asian greens for the much vaunted kale, since in Sydney the latter tends to be relatively harder to procure and more expensive.

I think you may find choy sum also sometimes called Chinese Broccoli. Anyway, it is readily available in good quality in several green grocers near me, so more will be going into my diet for sure.
jpowell

Postby beforewisdom » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:42 am

jpowell.

I don't know..........but I am not sure that chinese broccoli is choy sum. I bought a book on preparing green leafy vegetables last year. I started going to an Asian market. I noticed that there were several vegetables with green leaves and yellow flowers, but all labeled differently. The book I was reading also claimed that broccoli rabe, chinese broccoli and another italian vegetable also got confused for being related. They looked the same.

Hopefully, in time, asian vegetables will crossover into the regular markets ( choy sum is not the only calcium power house ) and this confusion will clear up.
beforewisdom

Postby Lordmuppet » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:16 pm

oh I used to buy this on a regular basis. Tasty!
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby ninearms » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:24 pm

Chinese Broccoli is Gai Lan/Kai Lan, and is the best green vegetable on the planet. Few things are better than Gai Lan with garlic and chili.

Choy Sum is a particular type of Bok Choy, but it is also used for the inner heart of regular Bok Choy also sometimes used instead of Gai Lan. So technically Choy Sum can be both Bok Choi AND Chinese Broccoli.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby beforewisdom » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:50 pm

[quote="ninearms"]Chinese Broccoli is Gai Lan/Kai Lan, and is the best green vegetable on the planet. Few things are better than Gai Lan with garlic and chili.

Choy Sum is a particular type of Bok Choy, but it is also used for the inner heart of regular Bok Choy also sometimes used instead of Gai Lan. So technically Choy Sum can be both Bok Choi AND Chinese Broccoli.

Ninearms, thanks for the clarification about chinese broccoli ( I have also seen rapini, incorreclty labeled as broccoli rabe and chinese broccoli, fwiw ).

Choy sum is RELATED to bok choy, but it should be made clear that Choy Sum has a *LOT* more calcium than bok choy.

From here

[quote]
Cow’s Milk
1 cup – 300 mg – 32% absorbed, 96 mg net

Chinese Cabbage Flower Leaves, cooked
( aka “choy sum”, Brassica rapa var. parachinensis)
1 cup – 478 mg – 40% absorbed, 192 mg net

*Chinese* Mustard Greens, cooked
1 cup – 424 mg – 40% absorbed, 170 net

Turnip Greens, cooked
1 cup – 198 mg – 52% absorbed, 102 mg net

Bok Choy, cooked
1 cup – 158 mg – 53% absorbed, 84 mg net

Mustard Greens, cooked
1 cup – 128 mg – 58% absorbed, 74 mg net

Kale, cooked ( scotch kale has much more )
1 cup – 122 mg – 49% absorbed, 60 mg net

beforewisdom

Postby vCLaW » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:24 pm

It is pretty meaningless to compare the nutrition per cup of food.
vCLaW

Postby ninearms » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:31 pm

[quote="vCLaW"]It is pretty meaningless to compare the nutrition per cup of food.

Quoted for truth.

The number one factor used in comparing food items should be tastiness.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby beforewisdom » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:07 pm

I disagree. People who don't have food scales in their homes often have zero idea about portion sizes. Being able to measure something out by a cup gets them in the ballpark of knowing how much they are eating.
beforewisdom

Postby vCLaW » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:03 am

Is it really that easy to measure vegetables in a cup? It will depend on how finely it is chopped, and how much you squash it down etc.
And the point is, the typical serving size will vary. You won't necessarily eat as many cups of choi sum as you would of kale, as the calories/water/fibre etc will vary.
vCLaW

Next

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating