Training for a hilly race when you don't live near hills

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Training for a hilly race when you don't live near hills

Postby lobsteriffic » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:37 am

I'm thinking of running the San Francisco Marathon in July. It would be my first marathon.

Problem: Where I live is flat, flat, flat. I don't have a vehicle, so driving to hills isn't feasible.

I DO have access to a treadmill. I certainly don't want to do super long runs on the treadmill, but do you think running hill sprints on the treadmill one day a week would help?

I know the course has a fair bit of downhills, so I need to figure out a way to practice those as well.

Thanks!
lobsteriffic

Re: Training for a hilly race when you don't live near hills

Postby Hiking Fox » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:52 pm

Stairs. Run up escalators.

Also cycling uses the same muscles as running up hills, I believe
Hiking Fox

Postby lobsteriffic » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:47 pm

Ha, I don't know about the escalator thing but I live in a 4 story apartment building so I can definitely do stairs.

Interesting! I didn't know that about cycling. That is super helpful, thanks!
lobsteriffic

Postby IronGirl » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:13 pm

Hiking Fox wrote:
Also cycling uses the same muscles as running up hills, I believe

Some fell run coaches recommend turbo sessions on the bike through the winter to help with hills.
IronGirl

Postby Konstantin » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:26 pm

I considered dragging a tyre from my belt.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby DC Runner » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:36 pm

I think your best option is the treadmill - it's the closest you're going to get to the actual thing without running hills. Cycling is a non-impact activity and generally doesn't translate well to running. You could run highway exit/on ramps as a not-so-fun alternative.

While San Francisco is a very hilly city, its marathon is surprisingly not so bad. The course doesn't run through the middle of the city, so you're running around the worst hills. Best of luck!
DC Runner

Postby lobsteriffic » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:37 pm

DC Runner wrote:I think your best option is the treadmill - it's the closest you're going to get to the actual thing without running hills. Cycling is a non-impact activity and generally doesn't translate well to running. You could run highway exit/on ramps as a not-so-fun alternative.

While San Francisco is a very hilly city, its marathon is surprisingly not so bad. The course doesn't run through the middle of the city, so you're running around the worst hills. Best of luck!

Thanks! I've found a few TINY hills. I'm going to try and work those in as much as I can, aside from the treadmill once a week. But I'm glad to hear that the SF marathon course isn't as cruel as it could be!
lobsteriffic

Postby purple_mog » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:42 am

ooooooh lots of luck lady! I struggle with hill too - I'm not good at them and live in a very flat city (York, UK). I have resorted to finding any inclines and using them for repeats, not very exciting but better than a treadmill for me.

good luck
Mog
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

Mahatma Gandhi
purple_mog

Return to Vegan Runners