Hi from Spain

Please introduce yourself here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Hi from Spain

Postby erikiva » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:53 am

Hi everybody,

First I want to say I am really glad I found this forum, there is awesome advice here.

I have always loved animals but somehow managed to not make the connection, I could eat almost raw steaks...then 5 years ago I started helping at a cat rescue association, and then various things happened.
First being so close to suffering animals, there's no much respect for cats or any other animals here, seeing how sensitive they are, how it affected them when they were abandoned neglected and badly treated, not just physically but emotionally, how they reacted to someone being kind to them after all the bad things, it became harder not to think of how other animals felt, or to keep thinking they are "just" animals sort of thing.
Also there were a few vegetarian/vegan people there and they would say the odd thing about where this or that came from and what was involved in certain things.
But funnily they final blow came from someone that is a bullfighting fan, when I tried to understand how on earth she could sit to enjoy and cheer the torture and death of a living being she said two things, one that that was not what she was seeing, and the other was that bulls have by a long way a better life than any consumption animal, which is actually true. Pro-bullfighting people are well versed on the atrocities of farm animals because that justifies their hobby, a little ironic.

I started realizing that I also hadn't wanted to see that the meat in my plate came from an animal that had suffered, lived a horrible life and died am awful death just for my pleasure, since I know plenty of vegan and very healthy people so I know it is not necessary . Then it became harder and harder to eat it until one day half way through my meal I had to put the plate away. That was about a year and a half ago.
Kept eating "free range" eggs and had some dairy and fish on occasion. But kept learning about the way animals are treated for milk and eggs and fish and then saw the talk by Gary Yourofsky and it just hit home.
It has been much harder to give up eggs and dairy, maybe because the connection is not so clear, a cupcake is not a piece of a dead animal on your plate and up until not long ago I still had the odd slip but as it happened with meat I felt really bad whilst eating it and afterwards.

It hasn't been easy, vegetarianism/veganism is not very extended here, our national ritual involves the carnage of an animal, and a lot of people seem to have this gut reaction to vegetarianism, almost as if by being a vegetarian you are blaming them for something and they enter into a passive aggressive mode. It bothers me less and less, I feel much better, now there isn't a constant mismatch between what I think I should do and what I do and I enjoy my food a lot more knowing I don't participate in the pain of innocent sentient beings.

Anyway sorry for the exclusively long intro and hope I can also share something useful
erikiva

Re: Hi from Spain

Postby loveliberate » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:37 am

Hello & Welcome! I like long introductions. :)
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.corneredcat.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby roper » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:45 am

¡Hola erikiva y bienvenido!

Another member here living in Spain.
I live in a community where hunting is a very popular pastime. They tend to shoot just about anything too. I do also find that more people are becoming interested in veganism, more curious rather than thinking of trying it. More shops are starting to stock vegan friendly products but not that many overall, at least here.
By far the hardest is eating out, especially local tapas bars. i have found some staff to get quite offended when I say I'm vegan :)
Hopefully over time they might offer more veggie options, other than patas y ensalada tomatas :)
roper

Postby erikiva » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:21 am

roper wrote:¡Hola erikiva y bienvenido!

Another member here living in Spain.
I live in a community where hunting is a very popular pastime. They tend to shoot just about anything too. I do also find that more people are becoming interested in veganism, more curious rather than thinking of trying it. More shops are starting to stock vegan friendly products but not that many overall, at least here.
By far the hardest is eating out, especially local tapas bars. i have found some staff to get quite offended when I say I'm vegan :)
Hopefully over time they might offer more veggie options, other than patas y ensalada tomatas :)

Hi :)

You are totally right, normally it has to be potatoes and if I am lucky mushrooms, making it very clear that I don't want any ham on them which they normally put. Salads are tricky, unless you say very clearly ONLY lettuce and tomato, because for some reason tuna and eggs seem to be considered vegetables by a lot of people. :evil:
But yes, things are changing, in Madrid now there is a fully vegan restaurant and 2 completely vegan shops, vegetarian restaurants are a pain because they seem to think egg or cheese is needed in almost every plate so sometimes they are no better than normal restaurants but some are taking notice of the growing number of vegans.
erikiva

Postby xrodolfox » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:47 pm

Hello!
I'm originally from Chile, and was living there when I first started out on this board.
What sports/fitness are you into?
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:34 am

Welcome !

I spend lots of time in Madrid, so I probably know the vegan restaurant you mentioned. And the vegetarian ones too.

Do you go to the Eco Centre ?
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby erikiva » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:39 am

Hi, Sorry I didn't reply sooner, been really busy.

I do go to Eco Centre, they used to have a vegetarian menu with few vegan options, but that has changed a lot recently. Also lately I've found various places that have vegan burguers even make vegan mayo...might not sound like much but here it's impressive...

About fitness, I used to do pretty much anything, did Karate for 10 years, then aerobics, step, body pump, hours of gym, then came a time when it got harder and harder to find the time to go to the gym which is awfull, I feel terrible when I don't exercise, plus the obvious weight gain.

At the moment I am doing Pilates and Bikram (hot) Yoga.
erikiva

Postby TimS » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:22 am

Hi to Spain again, my second time today :)
And congrats Erikiva for your ethical & lifestyle choice! Keep it up!
Oh, can't help mentioning this: when pronounced "Erikiva" sounds for a speaker of the Finnish language almost as "very cool", "very nice". I am sure you are :)

And telling this the second time today. I am planning to visit Spain next year, as some other countries of Southern Europe.

Tim
TimS

Postby erikiva » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:41 am

TimS wrote:Hi to Spain again, my second time today :)
And congrats Erikiva for your ethical & lifestyle choice! Keep it up!
Oh, can't help mentioning this: when pronounced "Erikiva" sounds for a speaker of the Finnish language almost as "very cool", "very nice". I am sure you are :)

And telling this the second time today. I am planning to visit Spain next year, as some other countries of Southern Europe.

Tim

LOL thanks, it is actually the Finnish word, I have ties with Finland and am learning the language, or should I say "trying to learn"? liked the word and its meaning, so I started using it as a nick since my real name is almost always taken.

Natalia
erikiva

Postby bob_summers » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:53 pm

bienvenida Natalia!

Where is the vegan restaurant in Madrid? I only know the ones on happy cow.
For sure it's changing here, well in the cities at least. I live in Donostia and the difference between now and when I came 5 yrs ago is night and day. It still amazes me when I go back to Manchester or somewhere, but less each time. We're getting there!
I spend a lot of time cycling in the backwaters though, and it's still hard to find anything there. Luckily there are some Basque staples I can rely on, and I do find restaurant staff here are more obliging if you ask them to change something.
Bullfighting... I think it will die out eventually, but only with the generation that still enjoys it. Unless other forces enter into it (nationalism, crisis, Euro pressure maybe). Front-row seats for the toros here in semana grande are selling for 600€....

Good luck with the Finnish!
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby erikiva » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:22 am

They are in Happy Cow, the latest one is Bar Kunin, is very good and not expensive, very friendly.

Also I thing near Bar Kunnin there's a place which is not vegan but has started serving some vegan options that look really good, will probably check it out this weekend.
I think it is more encouraging to see non vegan places taking into consideration to serve vegan options.

As for Bullfighting I live near "Ventas" the big bullfighting ring in Madrid and during San Isidro, the biggest week for it, it is full but average age is probably around 80. Unfortunately the government is trying to encourage young people to go, giving them discounts and doing free tours for high school students and so on, l don't think they are getting very far but it is infuriating that specially with Spain's current financial situation they spend a single cent on torturing animals for fun.

I think in Bilbao there is quite a lot of movement in this area too, haven't been there but a friend went las month and was impressed.

Thank you all for the welcoming messages :)
erikiva

Postby bob_summers » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:19 am

Thanks for the restaurant tip, I'll check it out for sure (not til after autumn in this heat!!)
Incredible that the gov't is working to promote bullfighting to kids. I work with a lot of teenagers and never have they expressed any enthusiasm for it, so I guess Rajoy has a difficult task on his hands!
bob_summers

Postby erikiva » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:17 pm

bob_summers wrote:Thanks for the restaurant tip, I'll check it out for sure (not til after autumn in this heat!!)
Incredible that the gov't is working to promote bullfighting to kids. I work with a lot of teenagers and never have they expressed any enthusiasm for it, so I guess Rajoy has a difficult task on his hands!

This is new too, well actually won't exist until the 6th of August but looks really promising
http://www.puntovegan.com/green-break/
erikiva

Postby bob_summers » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:19 am

Looks fantastic, could Madrid become the new Barcelona for vegan eats?!
bob_summers

Postby erikiva » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:23 am

bob_summers wrote:Looks fantastic, could Madrid become the new Barcelona for vegan eats?!

One can only hope :D
erikiva

Next

Return to New member introductions