Transporting Protein Supplements Through Europe

New vegan products out there? Queries about products, ingredients, vegan supplements?

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Transporting Protein Supplements Through Europe

Postby Andrewc » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:55 am

I'll be travelling through Europe (UK, Germany, Norway, Sweden, Italy, France) with my girlfriend for 6 weeks from April to June, and other than the usual good places to eat, things to look out for that most tourists look into, I'm curious to know if there will be any problems with taking protein powders through to different countries, are there strict laws, will it be taken off me? etc. Other than a few flights here and there I will be using mainly Eurail (if that makes any difference). Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!
Andrewc

Re: Transporting Protein Supplements Through Europe

Postby Talyn » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:46 am

You should be fine. In my travels I've never even had my bag searched and I've moved things like protein powder, random vitamins, ephedrine, etc.

On flights you should stick it in your checked luggage. Of course if you have the original container that would be more helpful, rather than a random plastic sack full of powder.

On trains you should have even fewer problems, because all the countries you listed (apart from the UK) are part of the schengen convention which means there are no border stops, so I doubt anyone would be checking your bag at all once you got into Europe.
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby Lordmuppet » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:25 am

I've been questioned about it before and when I explained what it was to them it was fine :)
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby Andrewc » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:11 pm

Oh that's awesome. Finding the time to continue training will be tough, but I'd like to keep on top of my nutrition if possible. Thanks for the heads up!
Andrewc

Postby baldy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:49 am

Andrewc wrote:Oh that's awesome. Finding the time to continue training will be tough, but I'd like to keep on top of my nutrition if possible.

The other option is to kick back and enjoy your holiday, sink a few beers and eat builders bars "to make sure you get enough protein". :)
I never take supplements when I travel, reckon its a nice break for my body, specially for creatine and those type of things.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby JP » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:29 am

with locations like that, i think you can have enough training sessions with just people from VF :D
JP
Site Admin

Postby Lordmuppet » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:29 pm

JP wrote:with locations like that, i think you can have enough training sessions with just people from VF :D

yep give me a heads up if you are coming through Edinburgh. We have a great olympic gym here.
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby baldy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:45 pm

Lordmuppet wrote:
JP wrote:with locations like that, i think you can have enough training sessions with just people from VF :D

yep give me a heads up if you are coming through Edinburgh. We have a great olympic gym here.

Edinburgh is well worth a visit and lots of good vegan eating there. Let us know when you are in London and we can arrange a meetup, will be nice to finally meet you. :)
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby fredrikw » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:09 pm

It goes without saying that we expect to meetup if the Sweden travels takes you to Stockholm :)
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby vegan hal » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:16 pm

Gee... I'm just jealous that you have 6 weeks free time to travel. that's awesome!

i've not had more than 4 days off in a row in years...

really... just enjoy yourslf and get a few sessions with you VF buddies when you visit.
vegan hal

Postby haisuli » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:05 pm

Talyn wrote:You should be fine. In my travels I've never even had my bag searched and I've moved things like protein powder, random vitamins, ephedrine, etc.

On flights you should stick it in your checked luggage. Of course if you have the original container that would be more helpful, rather than a random plastic sack full of powder.

On trains you should have even fewer problems, because all the countries you listed (apart from the UK) are part of the schengen convention which means there are no border stops, so I doubt anyone would be checking your bag at all once you got into Europe.

Ephedrine... Without doctor's order might be problems in some countries/customs? Anyway, I'm not sure about this...
haisuli

Postby Speciell » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:42 pm

fredrikw wrote:It goes without saying that we expect to meetup if the Sweden travels takes you to Stockholm :)

Same goes for Göteborg. :)
You simply have a sledgehammer down your pants!
Speciell

Postby Andrewc » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:48 pm

Our first three weeks UK (specifically London), Germany and Norway will be crazy and tight as I'm there on work related stuff, but how's either the evenings of Sunday 29th or Monday 30th of April?

The specific dates of Sweden haven't yet been decide as we're not sure when we want to leave Norway just yet.
Andrewc

Return to Vegan Products and Supplements