Muppet Goal: Lean at 31

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: Road to 3xbw deadlift

Postby vegan hal » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:36 pm

log's looking good LM! especially the volume of pullups/chinups! well done.
vegan hal

Postby Lordmuppet » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:37 pm

thanks Vegan Hal! :) hope to see some action on your log again soon! Is all well with you?

Okay so here's what has happened the last two weeks.

exercise

Had a wee attack of fatigue as last reported so took a week off weights and just went to two jiu jitsu sessions instead, the idea being active rest. Would have gone to a third jitsu session but clashed with Of Mice and Men which was fantastic!

The week after that (this week just finishing) I went back to the weights ...

21st Feb 2012 (easing back in so as to avoid injury)
Squat belt few reps at 80kg
Dead con 100kg few singles
OHP 5x5x30kg
dips: struggle to complete one
"f*** the bike"
Notes (i write these down now during the session)
1) OHP feels good
2) right shoulder problems but okay once warmed up
3) weak as hell. everything (except OHP) felt hard.

23rd Feb 2012
Squat belt 3x5x80kg
rack pull: not comfortable doing this with shoulder issue so stopped
Bench: can't even do painless partial reps with bar so quit it
OHP 1x4, 1x5, 1x3 at 40kg
Fat bar Neutral CUs 10,8,5
notes
1) still some shoulder issues but fine with slightly wider grip on squat
2) right knee feels like it is hyperextending occasionally on squats and OHP (had this issue before year or so ago then it vanished). I had knocked right knee against a drawer the day before though.
3) minor shoulder discomfort on CUs

25 Feb 2012
Squat belt 3x5x90kg
Dead con 160kg 1x1 grinder
OHP 5x5x40kg
Fat WPUs 1x10
"screw the bike"
Notes
1) stomach little sore after 3rd set of squats but think this is just down to boxers and belt being very tight
2) felt really really good hence trying the heavy Deadlift. Was going to go for a PR if the 160kg felt easy but it was a grinder.

Some grip work throughout the week. Wrist get stronger all the time but all this typing doesn't help.

elimination diet
Only four days left of elimination diet. Thank goodness! Am so so bored of the food I eat at this point, would kill small fluffy things for a cup of coffee and have lost 3kg in last four weeks ugh (down to 67kg :( ). On the upside stomach has been good all month save a few days into the diet and when i ate a whole big bag of kettle chips very very quickly. I suspect I don't have a food intolerance and that it is simply the plain food (rice cakes and hummus) in the morning with peppermint tea AND not eating massive portions that has fixed things. Will post a longer report in the nutrition forum when I'm all done with it.

Hopefully stomach issues will be mostly a thing of the past and I can focus on packing on muscle :)

stand by for hypertrophy muppet!
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby dublin dave » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:44 pm

Lordmuppet wrote:
Hopefully stomach issues will be mostly a thing of the past and I can focus on packing on muscle :)

stand by for hypertrophy muppet!

Glad to hear that stomach issues may be sorted...looking forward to the hypertrophy muppet... 8)
dublin dave

Look ma no hooks!

Postby Lordmuppet » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:17 pm

28 Feb 2012
exhausted couldn't even unrack 90kg for the squat :(
did double hand plate pinch 25kg 25s/25s/25s/25s

29 Feb 2012
Figured issue yesterday may have been sodium deficiency. So mega dosed with sea salt and went off to kill it!
Squat belt 3x5x100kg
Deadlift 5x1x140kg no hooks!
OHP 5x5x42kg
100lb gripper Right hand 3,3,3,3
100lb gripper Left hand 2,2,3,3

1 March 2012
Squat belt 4x5x100kg
Bench: still can't do due to reinjured shoulder. Did a bunch of sets with bar for rehab. Tried a single at 40kg and it hurt so stopped :(

3 Feb 2012
Squat 3x5x70kg
OHP 1x3x45kg new 3RM PR!
Dips 1x3xbw sternum and left elbow hurt doing this so i stopped.
Vertical jump test 2x1x78.3cm

Have started reintroducing foods back in to see what makes me sick. Caffeine seemed to make me very sick the day after I took it. Testing gluten today.

Going to try peppermint tablets and a vegan probiotic i found for IBS called Tum Biotix. Want to try one thing at a thing though to see what works. So right now just looking at foods.
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby thestoatyone » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:52 pm

I'm really hit and miss with caffeine; went through a spell where one coffee made me feel like someone had punched me in the throat (this was in part linked to stress/anxiety at the time though, Globus Pharyngitis can suck my balls)

Good luck buddy.
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

diet stuff

Postby Lordmuppet » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:54 pm

thestoatyone wrote:I'm really hit and miss with caffeine; went through a spell where one coffee made me feel like someone had punched me in the throat (this was in part linked to stress/anxiety at the time though, Globus Pharyngitis can suck my balls)

Good luck buddy.

thanks :) yeah not sure whether it is coffee or caffeine more generally. Will experiment in due course to find out. Still waiting to try pepermint capsules and proper pro-biotics so hopefully about those.

So far results are

Possible problems
caffeine (hopefully just coffee)
beer (hopefully not alcohol more generally ...)

Pretty sure tolerant of the following
oats
gluten

adding in soy tomorrow, then peanut butter three days after that
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

New Texas Cycle

Postby Lordmuppet » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:14 pm

Texas 1A March 5th
Squat belt 5x5x100kg
Dead belt 1x5x145kg no hooks!
OHP 5x5x43kg
Bench rehab 2x5x30kg, 1x5x40kg
Dips machine 10 @ 63kg assist
bike 10 mins @ Level 4, 3.65km
notes
bar bouncing off rail a wee bit on squats due to attempting to focus on hip drive
some slight pain in shoulder on early benching

TEXAS 1B MARCH 7TH
Squat 3x5x80
Bench 5x5x40kg
Dips machine 10 @ 59kg assist
Doublehand plate pinch 25kg for 5 sets of 30 seconds
bike 10 mins @ level 4 3.33km
notes
felt a bit sick (after night involving 2 beers) but 80kg has never felt so light!

TEXAS 1C MARCH 9TH
Squat belt 1x1x132kg
OHP 1x1x51kg ORM PR
Bench paused 5x5x50kg
Dips machine 10 @ 54.5kg
bike Level 4, 10 minutes, 3.93km
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby Lordmuppet » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:48 pm

TEXAS 2A
13 March 2012
Squat belt 5x5x102kg
Dead belt 1x5x147.5kg fail. pulled all 5 but had trouble locking out the fifth :(
Bench 5x5x55kg
Dips Machine 10@50kg assistance
double hand 25kg plate pinch 4 sets of 35 seconds
notes
some shoulder discomfort on bench
used smelling salts (aka nose tork) for first time on DL
Skipped bike

TEXAS 2B
15 March 2012
Squat 3x5x80kg
Bench 5x5x55kg
Machine Dips 10@45.5kg assistance
bike 10 mins/Level 4/3.10km
notes
no pain on bench during lifts. Tiny tweak after one of the lift offs but otherwise fine.

TEXAS 2C
17 march 2012
Squat belt 1x2x118kg
Bench 1x2x76kg both a PR and a fail both went up but counting as a fail because the second one was squint. Still a paused ORM PR though as previous paused ORM was 75kg (same as for 2RM)
no headphones so no bike
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby Lordmuppet » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:10 pm

GENERAL NEWS
Wrist is pretty much 100% I think. Back has stopped complaining.
Back on all food except caffeine, peanut butter and yeast one of which might be problematic. Will retest for those again at the end of April.
Started Tumbiotix (vegan probiotic) and so far so good but is clearly too early to tell
I've been leaving Jitsu and grip work out but should really include them so here is.
Bought 4 new grippers and also took a year or two loan of 2 20kg plates, 2 15kg plates, 2 5kg plates and a bench. Should also have taken the tens but i felt greedy. Anyway these are thinner than what i have so will increase the potential for my 5ft bar up to around 160kg maybe a wee bit more. Dammit should have taken the tens!

TEXAS 3A
20 March 2012
Squat belt 5x5x104kg
Dead belt 1x5x150kg PR 5RM
OHP 5x5x44kg
Dips Machine 10@36kg assistance
Bike: 10 mins/L4/3km
notes
stop hitting rails on squat decent!
some pain in left elbow on dips
no nose tork for deads

TEXAS 3B
22 March 2012
Squat 3x5x82kg
plate pinch (between squats) 25kg 40s/40s/35s/35s
Bench 3x5x45kg
Machine Dips 7@32kg assistance
bike 10 mins/Level 4/3.44km
notes
feels like too much strain on left elbow during dips

23 March 2012
2 hours of Jiu Jitsu hungover ... never again. I am rarely hungover as I rarely drink more than two drinks but was on a date and I suppose we were both nervous/both come from cultures with unhealthy relationships with alcohol (i.e. if you are happy drink! if you are sad drink! etc etc).

TEXAS 3C
24 march 2012
Squat belt 1x3x115kg
OHP 1x3x47kg PR 3RM
Dips Machine 1@32kg resistance Fail1 sternum hurt (again) so i stopped. Sternum hurts when sneezing. Have probably been going too low
Chin Ups 6 :(
Bike 10 mins/level 4/3.56km
Gripper work later at home with StrengthShop 100lb gripper ...
Right hand 6,6,6,6
Left hand 6,6,6,6
notes
broke with the plan and added an extra 1kg to OHP as 46kg felt too light
hungover the day before so happy!

25th March 2012
some wrist curls and reverse wrist curls
Wrist curls 4x10x4kg (plus 1.5lb)
Reverse wrist curls 4x10x4kg (plus 0.5lb)
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby baldy » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:08 am

Nice work on the date, how did it go?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Lordmuppet » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:06 am

baldy wrote:Nice work on the date, how did it go?

it went well, though it got me thinking again about how nice it would be to have a partner who was at least veggie (this one is not)
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby JP » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:36 am

nice one on the grippers :) can be fun work!
JP
Site Admin

Postby Goob » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:23 pm

Lordmuppet wrote:

it went well, though it got me thinking again about how nice it would be to have a partner who was at least veggie (this one is not)

I know how that is. I'll be out on a date, even with a vegetarian, and think to myself "why am I even doing this? They don't understand the most basic aspect of my life, this will never turn into anything." I know it's a negative way to view the situation, but it really seems a huge waste of time getting to know someone that doesn't share my most deeply held belief.

Training looking good though and glad stomach issues are clearing up. Looks like you will be ready for the race to 140 kg bodyweight in no time :mrgreen:
Mikhail Koklyaev wrote:Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
Goob

Postby Lordmuppet » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:12 pm

Goob wrote:
Lordmuppet wrote:

I know how that is. I'll be out on a date, even with a vegetarian, and think to myself "why am I even doing this? They don't understand the most basic aspect of my life, this will never turn into anything." I know it's a negative way to view the situation, but it really seems a huge waste of time getting to know someone that doesn't share my most deeply held belief.

Training looking good though and glad stomach issues are clearing up. Looks like you will be ready for the race to 140 kg bodyweight in no time :mrgreen:

thanks for the kind words dude.

Regarding veggies, I do feel where you are coming from but I find it's hard to make blanket statements about veggies insofar as there are so many different types of veggies and many who are 95%+ vegan but just don't want to call themselves vegan. Also we all have to start somewhere and some people [e.g. me] need time to transition especially where the knowledge or social support is not there. For me I was a heavy ovo-lacto veggie for a few months, lapsed back into being omni for over a year and then transitioned into being mostly vegan and then gradually stricter as i got smarter about finding/making vegan stuff/preferences changed.

On the other hand there are, of course, ovo-lacto veggies who pretty much just replace meat with ovo-lacto, don't make an effort in other areas and remain ovo-lacto their whole lives.

For me the cut off is whether the person is trying to reduce their contribution to suffering or not (i know some technically ovo-lacto friends who are almost vegan and not just replacing meat with other animal stuff).

But yeah all kinds of veggies :) so for me I try to scope them out first to figure out which type they are :)
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby Lordmuppet » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:13 pm

JP wrote:nice one on the grippers :) can be fun work!

thanks for following along big man :) Yeah grippers are fun. Can't close the CoC no.1 yet but work is under way!
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs