Cutters Corner

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: Cutters Corner

Postby Talyn » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:01 pm

baldy wrote:I had this cutting disease with an upset stomach, lost 4kg last week. Down to 94.5kg and incredibly ripped, Dr said I should make a full recovery and prescribed chocolate chip cookies.

I think its fate - You could lift in the 94kg class. You'd need less vaseline.

This thread is also now my home. But I've not yet seen the damage. Hoping the sickness of the second week has counter-balanced the extreme bulking of the first week, but probably not. :oops:
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby baldy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:48 pm

Talyn wrote:
baldy wrote:I had this cutting disease with an upset stomach, lost 4kg last week. Down to 94.5kg and incredibly ripped, Dr said I should make a full recovery and prescribed chocolate chip cookies.

No, 94kg would be a massacre all these skinny, ripped, mens health type, strong crossfit guys lift in that class and it's fairly competitive, would need to super size the vaseline tub if I wanted to play with those boys. 105 class I still have the odd chance to pick up 2nd place trophy for just showing up and getting in a few lifts.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Talyn » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:08 pm

baldy wrote:105 class I still have the odd chance to pick up 2nd place trophy for just showing up and getting in a few lifts.

That's the spirit :?

Maybe you'd be better aiming for the 66kg class then, it's quiet down here ;)
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby fredrikw » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:42 pm

Talyn wrote:This thread is also now my home. But I've not yet seen the damage. Hoping the sickness of the second week has counter-balanced the extreme bulking of the first week, but probably not. :oops:

It did for me. Despite the shitload of junk food I ate the stomach bug kept all in place and this morning I only weighed about 1/2kg more than before the SA-trip. Shitty backpackers FTW it seems, at least if you want to eat shit and still maintain weight :)
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby kallefs » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:16 pm

I have found chocolate chip cookies. I will just leave this thread silently for another week.
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby Speciell » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:37 pm

kallefs wrote:I have found chocolate chip cookies. I will just leave this thread silently for another week.

nom nom nom nom nom
You simply have a sledgehammer down your pants!
Speciell

Postby Talyn » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:02 pm

kallefs wrote:I have found chocolate chip cookies. I will just leave this thread silently for another week.

Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby ninearms » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:47 pm

Inadvertently wandered round this corner after the house move as I haven't weighed myself for about a month, training's been sporadic, and eating has been a bit all over the shop. Weighed myself the other morning: 81.2kg. WTF??? What sort of 85kg lifter with any semblance of self respect weighs 81.2? Been nailing a shake with every meal, eating breakfast, and doing a creatine load to make sure I don't embarrass myself any further by having another sub 83kg weigh in at the British next week.

Still, at least I'm not a "105" that weighs 94.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby Linnéa76 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:49 pm

fredrikw wrote:
Talyn wrote:This thread is also now my home. But I've not yet seen the damage. Hoping the sickness of the second week has counter-balanced the extreme bulking of the first week, but probably not. :oops:

It did for me. Despite the shitload of junk food I ate the stomach bug kept all in place and this morning I only weighed about 1/2kg more than before the SA-trip. Shitty backpackers FTW it seems, at least if you want to eat shit and still maintain weight :)

Same here, BW exactly the same as before the trip!

baldy wrote:
Talyn wrote:

No, 94kg would be a massacre all these skinny, ripped, mens health type, strong crossfit guys lift in that class and it's fairly competitive, would need to super size the vaseline tub if I wanted to play with those boys. 105 class I still have the odd chance to pick up 2nd place trophy for just showing up and getting in a few lifts.

Wait, so the heavier guys aren't stronger, just fatter? :lol: So wouldn't it be very cunning to weigh close to 94 kg and still get to compete with the chubby guys?

Vaseline is not very good you know, you should opt for a water based lubricant instead.
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Re:

Postby jpowell » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:17 pm

mollygidget wrote:haha the title of this thread threw me off for so long, but now i'm insanely glad i read it.

as one of the people that spent winter vacation somewhere that wasn't home, with no way to workout (i was with lazy friends) and eating everything in sight (3 vegan hotdogs with fries anyone?) i really need to cut down.

my major questions:

1. low fat/low cal trail mix: what to put in it other than nuts and raisins and granola?

2. fruit for breakfast- am i the only one who gets a really upset stomach when they just eat fruit? is there any really easy low cal/fat suggestion for something to go with it? (under 100 cal or so and can eat on the run, because i never have time to cook breakfast at home)

Don't know if this helps but .... uh, to me, fruit and nuts seem like relatively high calorie foods (at least the types of fruits that people conventionally regard as fruits). When I see fruit and nuts, I see sugar, protein and fat - not that you don't need some of these, of course.

Relatively lower calorie foods you could also eat include:
- Broccoli, or preferable kale (try it steamed, with some salad dressing if required). If required, stir fry it or put it in soup.
- Young corn (as above)
- Green beans (as above)
- Beansprouts (as above), maybe you can also try some small sprouts raw
- Bamboo shoots (as above)
- Zucchini or squash (I surprised myself a month or two ago by how good it is raw, marinated in lemon juice, pepper and garlic for about 24hours at room temperature, add a little olive or mustard oil if you like. I would cut it small or grate it. Raw vegan sites have lots of zuchinni "spaghetti" recipes but I've never tried them)
- Mushrooms
- Red/ripe capsicum: this fruit is moderately sweet and quite tasty raw once you get used to it, but not really high in sugar, extremely rich in vitamin C and some antioxidants.
- Tomatoes: as with capsicum, but just not quite as good. Again, prefer the ripe ones. I mean really ripe not the cardboard-tasting green ones that they fill with water, pack in cardboard boxes and then gas until they turn red enough to sell.
- Oranges: similar benefits and very tasty
- Tangelos: like oranges but a bit better if you can get them, plus easier to peel.
- Cucumbers: not a sweet fruit but share some of the same benefits, e.g. hydration/water retention provided by other melons
- Onions: I know they can tend to suggest oil cooking, which is probably something you're trying to reduce, but consider some red onion in salad, or young onion greens / shallots / ...
- Parsley: highly nutritious greens that are actually fairly palatable / tasty raw once you get used to them. Fresh parsley to me has become a vegetable, NOT a condiment.
- Carrots (some sugars, including galactose which is not a bad thing unless you have trouble digesting it... and bear in mind vegans are on a much lower galactose diet than most as we don't consume milk (lactose = galactose + glucose).

Most of the above (while not protein dense, have a surprisingly high percentage OF CALORIES from protein, which I imagine is also a goal.

Hope to help,

Jamie
jpowell

Postby JP » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:28 am

hey surely its not cutting if you accidentally lose a kg or two, or have the shits and lose weight? :D
JP
Site Admin

Postby fredrikw » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:28 am

JP wrote:hey surely its not cutting if you accidentally lose a kg or two, or have the shits and lose weight? :D

what if the stomach flu wasn't accidental, but part of a cunning plan?
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:59 am

fredrikw wrote:
JP wrote:hey surely its not cutting if you accidentally lose a kg or two, or have the shits and lose weight? :D

what if the stomach flu wasn't accidental, but part of a cunning plan?

In this cause it would have been a particularly disgusting cunning plan (which is wasn't). Also it wasn't 1 or 2 kilograms, it was 4kg, which is equivalent to about 1 months bulking.
I think the weight is back now, all is well that ends well.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby JP » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:31 pm

weight loss due to that is largely waterweight so its not really cutting :)

you put it back on in few days!

i managed to win the B group weightlifting because of losing 3-4kg due to runny tummy just before, awesome :D
JP
Site Admin

Postby fredrikw » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:08 pm

JP wrote:weight loss due to that is largely waterweight so its not really cutting :)

I'd say that depends how long your stomach is misbehaving, "just before" sure, but almost a full week probably mean loss of more than just water.

[qoute]i managed to win the B group weightlifting because of losing 3-4kg due to runny tummy just before, awesome :D[/quote]
so now you keep a petri dish just in case before weigh in?
fredrikw
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating