...or, how I stopped worrying and learned to love the burn

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: the cruffatin liveth

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:12 pm

I'm disappointed in you Bob. 550km in two days should have been no problem. 8)
Mr. Cleetus

Postby bob_summers » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:59 pm

hah! next time....!

So at the moment, 'our' race (the 100km club race) is off, unable to meet insurance requirements apparently :roll:
I'm hoping it'll be like the TOur of the Basque Country, which was dramatically off due to lack of money last week, then back on as someone stepped in last minute.

Fri 2/3
Aizarna-Bidania-Larraitz-Altzo
140km 5h08

Off into the hills, as a kinda early season test. I struggled to be honest, kept the pace easy for the first half, but ended up tired anyway and struggled over the last third. Not a bad day though, no slower than last time round in June, and loads of riders out to chat to.

http://app.strava.com/activities/4751106#
Last edited by bob_summers on Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby bob_summers » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:00 pm

Sun 4/3
3h10 @ slow
Aia-Asteasu-Villabona-Lasarte

First club run of the season, a 55km OnB to Andatza, then me and another guy carried on for another hour. Pouring rain all morning, cold... of course while I was having coffee it wasn't raining so I changed into something lighter and left the w/proof gloves and jacket at home :|

More details about the club race - I didn't know this but the club has been embroiled in a lawsuit since the last race. After the race, a loudspeaker fell onto someone's bike (not of our club), causing a fair bit of damage. The owner is claiming six grand to replace the entire bike, which I find a bit salty. I didn't see it, but I find it hard to believe the frame, wheels, group, bars, etc were all written off!
Anyway, the insurance co won't pay for it, as it happened after the race, so it's gonna come out of our coffers. So no race this year, which I can understand as the race itself started as a memorial for one of the members, so it seems inappropriate to run it under a dark cloud. Next year, then.

*Want* some deep section carbon tubs. They'll look shite on my skinny steel frame, make f-all difference to my riding, I can't afford them and if I could there are things I should be spending money on instead, but... *want*.
bob_summers

Postby Alistar » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:11 am

More good riding Bob! Liked the look of that last big run you did :)

Bugger about your club race. Seems pretty shit you guys have to pay for it. Pity you couldn't have argued it as an act of God? Anyway the guy probably wanted an upgrade, so pushed it onto his own frame while no one was looking :wink:

Yeah I always get a bit jealous when all the pro's, elite guys rock up on their deep section rims. Would have to make a difference bridging and solo–ing off the front. As I don't do a lot of either, would probably be wasted on me though...
Alistar

Postby bob_summers » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:43 pm

Cheers Al. Yup, shame about the race. I can see both sides, you can't just plonk a heavy loudspeaker on a car roof unsecured... could have been a kid passing by when it fell off. The race will run next year which is fine, but also a pity as I've been using the course to do my midweek training and I'm flying round it at the moment, think I could've gone well.

What got me thinking about deep section rims was trying to stay with a guy last week with a pair, every time we crested a hill he sat up and accelerated away freewheeling, where I was spinning to keep up! I put my Eurus' on last week which have speeded things up a bit (not for that reason, just diagnosing a creaky noise)

Tues 6/3

Tolosa-Leitza-Basa Kabi-Goizueta
???
Haven't looked at the times yet but I do know I got to Basa Kabi in 1h57 (PB, finally broke 2hrs!) although I paused the clock while fixing a flat, which kinda gave me a rest before the last effort to the top.
Crappy conditions again, it pissed down for the last hour and 45m, freezing cold and I ended up stuck in one gear as neither hand could operate the shifter.
bob_summers

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:09 pm

I say go for the rims!!! :twisted: What makes you think you want tubs tho? It's tough to beat some of the full carbon clinchers out there now. I've been very happy with my Edge (Enve). I've still got a tub for my front TT wheel (an old 12 spoke Shamal). That's still a great wheel (and it's got class ;) ), but once it's time to move on from it, I will never go back to tubs. Clincher tires have pretty much caught up to tubs as well - especially now that there is a better understanding of rolling resistance and gluing, etc.
Mr. Cleetus

Postby bob_summers » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:17 am

ah bugger MrC you're supposed to talk me out of it!!

I was thinking of lacing up my Tune hubs to some rims, but just remembered the rear is 32h so that's out the window.

Haven't really considered clinchers, maybe I should rethink.

ANyway back to the real world, I've got an entire new drivetrain and cables to find the €€€ for before the season starts... that's the bike budget blown for months :|
bob_summers

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:08 pm

Mr. Cleetus

Postby bob_summers » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:00 pm

haha make it go away!

actually, these are more in my price range... get rid of those ugly stickers of course.

Thurs 8/3
Arrangoitze via Corniche
3h53
Felt like a drag, legs tired. Slower than last week (3h44), slower than course PB set in May '11 (3h38), but faster than this time last year (4h18). Think I need a bit of a rest week
bob_summers

Postby Alistar » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:22 am

Those wheels look like they're worth more than I originally paid for my bike (did get it for a steal though)! 8)
Damned nice though. Anyway can't have you getting any faster :wink:

Yeah good idea Bob. Need to give your body time to adapt to all the harder riding you've been doing recently.
Do you even do easy weeks btw? :P
Alistar

Postby bob_summers » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:37 pm

Yeah, an easy week is due. Spent the day yesterday in Biarritz and just walking around town was a chore, heavy legs...

Bah, having a bit of hassle with the Garmin, it's losing whole, or parts of, rides.

Fri 9/3
Irun-Doneztebe-Basa Kabi-Goizueta
4h35

Big climb today, 20+ km. Got a free ride on a tail wind up the valley, felt alright up the main climb if a tad sluggish. Descended into Goizueta, did (I think) a good time up to Cruce de Arano but the GPS crapped out and it's lost :evil: then got on the rivet to Hernani until my legs fell off. Pain...

Sun 11/3
Bera-Ibardin-Jaizkibel
???

CLub run, nice and easy first hour and a bit pacing on the front (angry shouts if the go much over 30kmh!), then at Bera the slow group turned back. I went with the fast group, but they were so fast I didn't see them leave! Guessed they went over Col d'Ibardin so tried to catch them, but still hadn't caught sight by the top, or on the descent, and then it was a lottery as to which road they took. So did a slow ride to Jaizkibel, suffered over that, finished with 95km in total.
bob_summers

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:05 pm

you'll be flying (even more) with a bit of recovery!
Mr. Cleetus

Postby bob_summers » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:20 pm

Talking of recovery, what do you guys take after a ride?
Been thinking about it recently... I make a drink up with a half litre of soya drink , 4:1 glucose to soy protein isolate, cocoa and salt. Sometimes just a carton of choccy soy milk...
Worth looking into stuff like HMB and ribose?
bob_summers

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:05 pm

After a shorter session, I usually just eat whatever my planned meal was, but just try to get it in quickly. After a longer on I will usually have a mix of juice, soya and pea protein very quickly after finishing - and maybe some caffein (i.e., espresso). I will then have a meal not long after.
Mr. Cleetus

Postby Alistar » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:27 am

My recovery is about as organised as my training! :lol: So I could probably improve mine a hell of a lot. I just grab whatever I can find. Start with sweet biccies, chocolate, juice,fruit, raisins and then get into the pbutter and jam sammies. After initially stuffing my face can take awhile for my digestion to feel like its working and processing properly especially if I've gone quite hard(1 to 2hrs).
Weighing before and after rides is always good so you know how much liquid to replace.

Not sure about all these fancy amino, carb supplements, as often they have quite mixed results from person to person even if the theory sounds good. Quite expensive too. Can't see what could be much better than a good quality complete protein like soy isolate(rel. cheap) after training along with enough fluid carbs/energy etc.
But no harm in trying.
Alistar

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs