Need help on Race day

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Need help on Race day

Postby Tammy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:32 pm

Hello all:
Sorry guys I have a woman running question.. I have a 30K run coming up in 3 weeks, this race falls 6 days before my period. The problem is this is the week that I just crash, I feel tired, cranky, and I WANT FOOD.. How do I get over this?
I am 39 years old, 110 pounds.
This is what I am taking
evening primrose 1 pill AM & PM (one week before my period I double it up)
Vitex http://www.pno.ca/preferred-nutrition-p ... vitex.html
Estro Sense http://www.pno.ca/preferred-nutrition-p ... sense.html
Licorice root 2 times per day
Spirulina one tsp per day
Cal/mag 2 times per day (doubled up one week before my period)
1000MG of vit C

I look forward to any advice..

Tammy
ON Canada
Please don't litter, FIX your critter
Tammy

Re: Need help on Race day

Postby Konstantin » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:14 pm

I used to get this, especially after training for the longer races. Part of it is that you have more blood sugar because you're training less (tapering) and still eating.

You're looking at a good distance event so loading a few carbs is probably a good idea anyway, so why not eat a few extras? Try to make sure it isn't too much junk and has fairly low GI (eg most grains) and you avoid the sugar spikes and crashes. You may well have a degree of nervousness. Try to do stuff fairly rewarding - take some time to sort out stuff you've been meaning to do or want to do but didn't have the time.

Have you read 'The Lore of Running'? It's a kind of bible for runners and there's a section on there about distance runners getting cranky before races. It's what happens.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby chloe » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:47 am

in my personal experience i just roll with the consuming of extra calories that i crave and it doesnt seem to hold me back, mostly i will feel how you describle but once i get running i generally actually feel better! I feel that the extras calories i consume at this time of the month end up fuelling me really well cos they are over and above my usual energy intake, also you might not like this but i tend to crave sweets and chocolate and i think they help lift my motivation, a sugar burst when im feeling that lethargy helps me get started and then they get burned up over the run.
good luck with the 30ks this is my all time favourite distance, 30 to 40ks is the perfect run for me.
chloe

Postby Tammy » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:57 pm

Hello all:
I did it my first 30K in 3:05.. My personal Best!!
Thanks for all your help!!!
Tammy
Please don't litter, FIX your critter
Tammy

Postby Konstantin » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:00 am

Well done, glad it went well.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby xrodolfox » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:02 pm

Well done!
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Return to Vegan Runners