A report from the Champion of Champions comp held in Swindon yesterday.
The comp was a collection of beasts, top guys from UK were invited, some inevitably couldnt make it, and i got in via reservers based on my last yeasr performance (8th at UKs finals was only good enough for a reserve place!).
The events were pretty much a collection of my weakest events
As in, i am not staticly as strong as the top guys, so i always knew it was going to be tough going.MAKING WEIGHT
The competition had a day before weigh in. I needed it because after being in berlin for few days eating so much junk food it made supersize me dude look like a health freak, i tipped the scales at 112.9kg on thursday night. Stopped food and fluids 7pm on friday, and took a hot bath and normal water shedding techniques. I was still over 108 in the morning so the 2.5 hour drive down to swidon was pretty hellish with many layers of clothes on heater full blast.
Still didnt make the weight though and had to put on even more layers and hit the elliptical and treadmill - 40 minutes of that was more steady state cardio i have done in a year. But it did the trick.THE COMP
Very well run comp in a good venue, Pro Strength and Fitness gym. The fellow competetors looked big and strong and i was feeling nervous about being out of my depth. In such a field of beasts it is hard to stay afloat, personally managed to reach most of my goals but that didnt give me many points.
I had a great battle throughout with mike and phil, with different strengths and weaknesses we were taking each other over all the time. This made the comp more interesting! The big beasts were out of reach anyway.Event 1: Max log press
- warm ups felt heavy and sluggish, but the minimum opener of 120kg flew up directly to straight hands without needing to press it. Next attempt of 130 felt solid, and had there been a possibility for 135 i would have had confidence with it. 140 was bridge too far, couldnt even clean it.Event 2: 380kg yoke for 20m
- went up first, and to be honest in retrospect feel like i copped out of it. My knee has been playing up lately and i was worried about hurting it more this close to moving contries and all it being such a crazy heavy weight. So i just took it safe, small steps and high pick up. Last place, and deserved it because of lack of proper attitude.Event 3: 18 inch deadlift for max weight
- went apeshit with the 320kg opener and got it for a pb 18 inch pull (which i wont count because the bar was so bendy), but the weight went up to 360 next, lol! Pulled it with all that i had, but as my intestines felt like creeping out of my mouth and no power, had to admit failure.Event 4: block press
- tricky as fuck and lack of practise showed, got the 90kg block but 100 was a no go, last placeEvent 5: farmers walk 140kg per hand for 40m, drop and turn at 20
- Training has been up and down, mainly down.... but I had those rare moments of getting fired up, got the distance but in a really bad time due to few drops. Placed ok anyway, maybe mid table?Event 6: atlas stones
- The stones were to really high platform first one being above my head. I headbutted the first 110kg stone to the highest, two next ones (i believe 120 and 135) were ok, fourth one of 155 I lapped but had no chance of loading it.
8th in the end out of 11 (shouldnt count harri who had to pull out due to injury though), so in all, a good day out.
Will post some videos and pictures as i get them.