Lobsteriffic's Training Log

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: Lobsteriffic's Training Log

Postby Goob » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:16 am

lobsteriffic wrote:
Goob wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:Last August I severed my EHL tendon (the tendon that moves your big toe upward) in a kitchen accident....

I can't be the only one that wants to hear more about this. I'm imagining an overzealous toaster and some carelessly placed utensils, possibly a waffle iron as well :lol: .

Welcome to THE forum though, even if it is a week late :mrgreen:

Haha, nothing as interesting as an overzealous toaster I'm afraid.

I was washing my food processor blade and I had bare feet as it was summer at the time. I dropped the blade and it hit my foot right where the big toe meets the rest of the foot. It hit pretty hard and there was a lot of blood, but the more concerning thing was that my big toe instantly fell and was floppy, and I couldn't move it at all.

I went to the ER and got stitched up, then about 10 days later I had to have it surgically repaired. They sutured the tendon and put a giant huge pin in my toe to hold it in place well it healed. A total of 9 weeks later I was FINALLY walking without a cast or a surgical boot or anything. It was nuts! I just got the go-ahead to start running again end of Jan.

All of that drama for one toe! But now I have kitchen shoes that I wear when using sharp things in the kitchen. My surgeon was saying that most folks he sees with this injury either dropped a knife or what have you in the kitchen. It's a dangerous place!

I probably shouldn't have said anything. Now I'm thinking I need some steel toed boots. I never realized I was risking my toes every time I stepped into the kitchen. :lol:
Mikhail Koklyaev wrote:Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
Goob

Postby lobsteriffic » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:15 am

I know! Now I see all of the sharp dangers lurking everywhere and it makes me paranoid!

Check out my giant toe pin coming out of my toe! (my toes are supposed to be blue from the antibacterial stuff they put on)

lobsteriffic

Postby lobsteriffic » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:51 pm

Feb. 29:

5 rounds:
20 single unders (using imaginary jump rope)
20 static lunges (10 each leg)
20 glute bridges
20 plank jacks
20 pushups (from knees)

Time: 19:25

Did this in my living room - learned the hard way that one should NOT do plank jacks on carpet. Next time I'll haul out my yoga mat that sits neglected in the back of my closet.
lobsteriffic

Postby lobsteriffic » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:25 pm

Mar. 1:

6 mile run.

Frustrating for the following reasons:

1. Weather was rainy and gross
2. I felt slooooow
3. I hit the wrong button on my Garmin and messed it up so I don't have a time for my run
4. I took a new route and ended up in a super high traffic area where the sidewalk would all of a sudden disappear. Fun.

But on the bright side, I finished my run in one piece and tomorrow is another day.
lobsteriffic

Postby lobsteriffic » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:36 pm

Mar. 2:

Had a 4 mile run planned, but I was SO achy and sore last night I decided to take a rest day today. Spent about 30 min. stretching and foam rolling. Ouch. My hamstrings have always been super tight, but lately they have been worse than usual. I need to stop slacking on stretching.
lobsteriffic

Postby Goob » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:38 pm

lobsteriffic wrote:I know! Now I see all of the sharp dangers lurking everywhere and it makes me paranoid!

Check out my giant toe pin coming out of my toe! (my toes are supposed to be blue from the antibacterial stuff they put on)

That's totally insane, looks like a mummy foot :P . I might just not go in the kitchen anymore after seeing that. Or, I could throw out everything sharp and only eat stuff that fits in my mouth without cutting :lol:

I was thinking a less nail like thing for the toe pin, at least not so prone to getting caught up on rugs and such. I'd probably end up in the hospital again after having it ripped out in an incident with a coffee table or something.
Goob

Postby lobsteriffic » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:00 pm

Goob wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:I know! Now I see all of the sharp dangers lurking everywhere and it makes me paranoid!

That's totally insane, looks like a mummy foot :P . I might just not go in the kitchen anymore after seeing that. Or, I could throw out everything sharp and only eat stuff that fits in my mouth without cutting :lol:

I was thinking a less nail like thing for the toe pin, at least not so prone to getting caught up on rugs and such. I'd probably end up in the hospital again after having it ripped out in an incident with a coffee table or something.

Haha, nah, it was only out in the open like that for the first week, and honestly I was in bed for most of that week. After the swelling went down they put on a cast and so the pin was protected more.

But I swear by kitchen shoes now! It freaks me out to walk around in my kitchen with bare feet.
lobsteriffic

Postby Goob » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:08 pm

What are kitchen shoes anyway? Google says crocs, but those don't seem very protective.
Goob

Postby lobsteriffic » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:17 pm

I think you could call any pair of shoes you wear in the kitchen, "kitchen shoes." :)

But I did end up getting a pair of Crocs. I really, really have a hatred for Crocs, but I bought a pair like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014JGDUC

They're actually made for use in a kitchen, so they don't have those stupid Croc holes, which wouldn't help you at all if you spilled boiling water or something. I've stood in them in the kitchen for a few hours at a time and they were pretty cushy.

The one thing I don't like is that my feet get kind of sweaty in them, which is gross.
lobsteriffic

Postby lobsteriffic » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Mar. 3:

running with slow running buddy: 6.45 miles in 1:25 and change. This was kind of a fiasco. Oh well, got it done.

I was looking at my running log and it's neat to see me go from 0 miles per week to where I am now. I'm still a LONG ways from where I want to be, but I'm slowly getting there:

lobsteriffic

Postby beforewisdom » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:51 pm

How did you make the fancy chart?

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby lobsteriffic » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:42 pm

I track my runs on runningahead.com and that's just the weekly summary table it gives me.

I really enjoy making fancy spreadsheets, because I'm a giant nerd, so I've toyed with the idea of making my own tracker...just haven't gotten around to it yet. Sounds like a fun project for a rainy weekend afternoon or some such thing.

Mar. 4:

No official workout, but I did a lot of walking. Not sure how many miles.
lobsteriffic

Postby beforewisdom » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:13 pm

Did they give you your chart in BBcode and is that how you pasted it here?

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby lobsteriffic » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:16 pm

no, I just did an old-fashioned screen grab.
lobsteriffic

Postby lobsteriffic » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:34 pm

Mar. 5:

5 miles in 51:21

Felt slow and sluggish. It's my own fault - sleep and diet weren't the greatest this weekend. Ah well.
lobsteriffic

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs